Did Jehovah use non-believers to accomplish His will?

by I_love_Jeff 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

(Again we have a questioned geared toward the Jehovah's Witnesses who strongly believe the star was a horama (illusion) crafted by Satan. This horama supposedly directed the magi who were apparently influenced by satan.)

If so, then what is wrong with God allowing the Magi to accomplish His will by sending them out to find the Christ?

Did you know that the Magi were instructed by Daniel, their Chief Priest? He most likely told them about the birth of the Savior.

Did you also know that In the days of the "ANCIENT", ASTRONOMY and ASTROLOGY were COMBINED in the "science" of "stargazing" and those who specialized in "stargazing" were called "wise men"?

Who were these ancient astrologers/astronomers called the Magi? Will someone give us a brief synopsis, please?

How does the history of the Magi compare to the version given by the Jehovah's Witnesses?

• Pterist
    Pterist

I believe God can use anybody or any event to reveal more knowledge and discipline to his children as he leads them out of slavery to decay and corruption. He used Babylon, he used a donkey, he used a prostitute, he can also used churches and even the watchtower, bot NOT the way they see it. A wise man accepts wisdom, advice, discipline, council, from anyone.

Shalom.

• cantleave
    cantleave

he used a donkey, he used a prostitute

Hey I've seen that film too..........

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

That was bad! But funny!!!

• I_love_Jeff
  • Pterist
    Pterist

he used a donkey, he used a prostitute

LOL ...yes, poor donkey !

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

ouch lol

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Here are some points from the NICNT commentary on Matthew (R. T. France, pp.59, 61-2):

First, he translates Matthew 2:2 thusly: ". . . inquiring, "Where is the child who has been born as King of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose, 2 and we have come to pay homage to him."

The footnote numbered "2" says: The singular anatole is used here and in v.9 for the "rising" of a celestial body, as distinct from the plural in v.1 and in 8:11; 24:27 for the "[place of] rising [of the sun]," the East. The singular can be used for the East, as in Rev 21:13, but not normally with the article (BDF 253[5]; . . . it is in any case most unlikely that Matthew would use singular and plural so close together in the same sense. If Num 24:17 underlies Matthew's account, the use of anatello in the LXX there requires the meaning "rising" here."

In he commentary on the text of chapter 2, he says:

Most obviously, the visit of foreign dignitaries to Jerusalem to see the son of david recalls the story of the Queen of Sheba (1Kgs 10:1-10), and Matthew's specific mention of the presentation of gold, frankincense, and myrrh echoes her royal gift to Solomon of "gold and a great quantity of spices" (1 Kgs 10:10), as well as other OT passages which take her visit and gifts as a model for the future glory of the Messiah (Ps 72:10-11, 15: "tribute," "gifts," "gold of Sheba"; Isa 60:5-6: "the wealth of the nations," "gold and frankincense," also with specific mention of Sheba). The "kings" who are the donors in Ps 72:10-11; Isa 60:13 14 are the source of the later Christian tradition which by the early third century had turned Matthew's "magi" into kings. Matthew thus paves the way for Jesus' later declaration that "something greater than Solomon is here" (12:42).

The footnote numbered 14 says:

"A further echo of Isa 60:3 may be detected in the "rising" of the star, reflecting the coming of nations and kings "to the brightness of your rising," though the LXX word is not the same."

There are some further notes I wanted to include, but my time is short at the moment. The point is that Matthew's account of the magi is rich with references to OT material linked with the coming of the Messiah. The WT story that it was a plot of Satan completely destroys the Biblical allusions that Matthew sets up. The Society says that others using the star dishonor God. But in fact, they dishonor God by destroying the continuity of the account that Matthew put together.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Here are some points from the NICNT commentary on Matthew (R. T. France, pp.59, 61-2):

First, he translates Matthew 2:2 thusly: ". . . inquiring, "Where is the child who has been born as King of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose, 2 and we have come to pay homage to him."

The footnote numbered "2" says: The singular anatole is used here and in v.9 for the "rising" of a celestial body, as distinct from the plural in v.1 and in 8:11; 24:27 for the "[place of] rising [of the sun]," the East. The singular can be used for the East, as in Rev 21:13, but not normally with the article (BDF 253[5]; . . . it is in any case most unlikely that Matthew would use singular and plural so close together in the same sense. If Num 24:17 underlies Matthew's account, the use of anatello in the LXX there requires the meaning "rising" here."

In he commentary on the text of chapter 2, he says:

Most obviously, the visit of foreign dignitaries to Jerusalem to see the son of David recalls the story of the Queen of Sheba (1Kgs 10:1-10), and Matthew's specific mention of the presentation of gold, frankincense, and myrrh echoes her royal gift to Solomon of "gold and a great quantity of spices" (1 Kgs 10:10), as well as other OT passages which take her visit and gifts as a model for the future glory of the Messiah (Ps 72:10-11, 15: "tribute," "gifts," "gold of Sheba"; Isa 60:5-6: "the wealth of the nations," "gold and frankincense," also with specific mention of Sheba). The "kings" who are the donors in Ps 72:10-11; Isa 60:13 14 are the source of the later Christian tradition which by the early third century had turned Matthew's "magi" into kings. Matthew thus paves the way for Jesus' later declaration that "something greater than Solomon is here" (12:42).

The footnote numbered 14 says:

"A further echo of Isa 60:3 may be detected in the "rising" of the star, reflecting the coming of nations and kings "to the brightness of your rising," though the LXX word is not the same."

There are some further notes I wanted to include, but my time is short at the moment. The point is that Matthew's account of the magi is rich with references to OT material linked with the coming of the Messiah. The WT story that it was a plot of Satan completely destroys the Biblical allusions that Matthew sets up. The Society says that others using the star dishonor God. But in fact, they dishonor God by destroying the continuity of the account that Matthew put together.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Sorry about the double post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit