So.....hi!

by FaceTheFacts 46 Replies latest jw friends

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

(i.e. arguing over the morphology of words and a lot of back and forth about what this means and what it doesnt)

You, along with most of us, come from a religion where we are told what to believe, and free thought outside of what is taught is stifled. It takes some getting used to in order to have true freedom of thought and discuss it rationally. Some are better at it than others. I'm still working, but I have my passions.

If you disagree, try not to make it too personal, and that is how healthy discussion proceeds, and you will do fine.

• FaceTheFacts
    FaceTheFacts

I'd like to reiterate that my statement wasn't attacking, belittling, or denouncing the rationality/the arguments presented therein. I was simply trying to present a contrast between what I expected (JW-related discussions/debates) vs. what I saw (meticulous arguments surrounding the definitions of words like creationist, atheist, etc.) and a plethora of related subjects. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I can't imagine how I can offer my opinions, perceptions, or arguments if a description like this is perceived as an attack or an insult?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey FaceTheFacts!

What topics interest you most?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It is difficult in discussion on a Forum such as this to do just that, i.e discuss, unless we know what we each mean by a certain word.

Take "Generation" for instance, very different in WT land than in the real world. Or "Truth" as another example.

So, it is often best to establish meanings, and terms of reference, before proceeding, or we may be talking at cross purporses for ages.

The 607 thread is a long hard haul, but illuminating, you will see the difficulty the JW Apologist is faced with, he/she cannot defend the indefensible without resorting to the dishonest techniques posted above.

"The Truth is not something you should have to lie about".

• BroMac
    BroMac

I'd like to reiterate that my statement wasn't attacking, belittling, or denouncing the rationality/the arguments presented therein. I was simply trying to present a contrast between what I expected (JW-related discussions/debates) vs. what I saw (meticulous arguments surrounding the definitions of words like creationist, atheist, etc.) and a plethora of related subjects. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I can't imagine how I can offer my opinions, perceptions, or arguments if a description like this is perceived as an attack or an insult?

djeggnog/Recovery/thirdwitness = born again as Face The Facts

• perfect1
    perfect1

Hey Welcome!

Just a hint: If people find what you wrote offensive, try a - Sorry, I didnt mean it that way guys and move along to something you are interested in. Why start off on the wrong foot.

• cofty
    cofty

Welcome - Many of us would be delighted to engage in respectful discussions with active and knowledgeable JWs. We never get any though. The only apologists that show up are vacuous. There was a time as JWs we could defend our beliefs in depth. I think the Reasoning Book was the end of those days.

If you want to start new threads please do but be prepared to listen as well.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Welcome, FaceTheFacts. I didn't find your post insulting, although I could see how some who find those kind of topics engaging might. I tend to find some topics here more interesting than the others, and just stay out of the conversations I'm not interested in. One of the things I had to get used to is that there is no filter here, like there is when conversing in a JW setting. I imagine lots of JWs filter what they really think or wonder about when talking with others socially, at the hall, etc (I know I had to).

Here, you are going to find people of all viewpoints. There are definitely a few active on this site who would say that if it's raining out today, it must be the Watchtower Society's fault. I do find it a little unfair that they tend to get away with that kind of thing, but "apologists", who are really often active JWs with sincere questions sometimes get ganged up on. I think you'll find a lot of interesting things to read about and discuss here, and I hope if a few individuals aren't so nice, you don't hold it against the rest of us. After all, we don't claim to be the best group of people on earth or anything like that! =)

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

djeggnog/Recovery/thirdwitness = born again as Face The Facts

They always come back.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho
    (i.e. ban of thirdwitness, djeggnog?, Recovery, etc?)

so which of these 3 are you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit