New TV Reality Show Wed Night "Amish Mafia", perfect conversation starter for JWs and Cult members.

by Balaamsass 9 Replies latest social humour

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

ANOTHER reality TV show on the Amish this week in the US. Great for laughs (laughter is the best medicine) and possibly a good conversation starter for members who have JWs in the family circle. Nothing like the absurd about tribes and cults to jog the brain.

The Link:http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/amish-mafia

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

The Mrs and I watched this last night. seemed a bit contrived. However the main character is enterprizing. Rather than "outing" sinners he assists them and blackmails them. A little like Tony Sopprano.

Humm. Never thought about that angle as a JW. Could have been a wealthy man. The power of cult and tribe vs human desires and needs.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I wondered about this show, but the previews shown made it look so mind-numbingly stupid that I just could not force myself to go there.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Jim, 3rd Gen got bored. The angle was some Amish never got baptized...so they were not "apostate"..and handled "dirty work" for the church. Made me laugh.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Sort of like "Nuns with Guns", huh Balaamsass?

• rebel8
    rebel8

I am watching this right now. I still can't wrap my head around this show. Is this fake or what?

Levi is attending a library fundraiser with "English" body guards dressed in motorcycle gang type gear. The library people are wearing t-shirts with his sayings on them, and getting autographed pictures. Why is this criminal cultist, who promotes a totally backward lifestyle, the celebrity chosen to appear at this event?

It's making me sick to my stomach! Libraries are kind of holy to me--places that should be peaceful and full of knowledge and learning.

The "Black Amish" guy smokes, wears normal clothes and rides in Cadillacs. I understand he was raised on the compound, but he really is NOT Amish anymore.

The little guy is pretty violent/destructive and the bishop gave him a blessing, presumably to do more violent stuff.

These people are committing many crimes on camera, with their faces shown. Are they getting prosecuted for this stuff? I see one guy did.

• rebel8
    rebel8

OMG Levi's minions are beating a kid with a baseball bat because he is dating the bishop's daughter. How does this happen...?

And Levi has highlights in his hair. Ridiculous.

• Viviane
  • humbled
    humbled

The Amish north of us in around Seymour and Springfield, Missouri have some latitudes in their religion that witnesses do not. I won't pretend to know all about them, but we have dealt with them for horse equipment and around horse sales. There are those sort of renegade Amish you talk about who live on the fringe--but I do not know how they relate to the larger 'regular' community.....

One non-Amish at a horse sale commented " They(the Amish) don't really care how you and and I do. They're just out for themselves."

One man's words, that. But any group that is so insular, like the JWs, may tend to be that way about the "English", the "worldly people".

There isn't any way to know what's true in that TV show, I guess. But it's not a documentary--and somebody is making a buck off of it.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Thanks, Viviane. It is literally unbelievable. Right now a little person is having a fistfight with a regular sized man. It is a little hard to watch.

And I liked the one review that talked about the credibility of the Discovery Channel. I think the same thing about the History Channel. Too bad...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit