I need your help friends. Which logical fallacy is being used here?

by I_love_Jeff 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

JW states: Since the apostles made mistakes, it is okay for us to make mistakes as well"

Is it the logical fallacy of "two wrongs make a right"?

The apostles were directed by God, the Governing Body is not. I am sure this has been posted many times but am in dire need of a quick response at the moment, thank you kindly : )

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Actually, if it were "two wrongs make a right" that would be justifying the mistakes made by the Jehovah's Witnesses even though their teachings are not of God.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

First, you're assuming the apostles actually were appointed by God.

Second, the GB is assuming THEY are appointed by God. This is "Begging the Question."

Thirdly, the GB are equating themselves with the apostles, which is more "Begging the Question."

But since we're "comparing" the two, let's examine the similarities and differences:

• the apostles did not expel, excommunicate and/or disfellowship those that disagreed, instead
    • the apostles had OPEN DEBATE on serious questions, not closed-door, secret meetings like the GB
    • the apostles did not repeatedly make predictions that always were wrong
    • the apostles did not make excessive rules regarding the details of Christians' lives

There's lots more, but if that doesn't convince someone NOTHING will!

BTW, Never discuss doctrine!

• Terry
    Terry

It would be like trying to decide whether you want an actual architect to design your house or a guy who claims god whispers architectural secrets in his ear.

If you pick the guy with god in his ear and you have constant structural collapse.....well, what gives?

How much proof do you need that you hired the wrong guy?

For something like the Watchtower Society to be DIRECTED by Jehovah, Jesus and holy spirit all the leadership (GB) has to do is

serve it up straight. After all, they insist it is "food at the proper time" and "meat in due season" and superior to anything christendom is teaching.

Well, if it ISN'T correct and needs "adjusting" over and over again we just can't ignore their original representation of WHO THEY ARE.

Are they CHOSEN to serve food at the proper time? Why does it need adjusting?

If it is the TRUTH...why do they keep changing it??

Making a mistake is something humans do because their knowledge is imperfect. Okay, good reason for a human who is GUESSING.

But, it is a bad reason for a CHOSEN group who is just passing along JEHOVAH'S pure truth.

You see?

They are trying to have things BOTH ways. You don't get away with that.

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

Well put.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I love Jeff:

If the apostles made a mistake, they were corrected quickly within a short period of time. They didn't carry on a "mistake" for generations and generations.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I don't know which logical fallacy is at work here, but not everyone who makes mistakes is divinely led by Jehovah. Apparently the "mistakes" of Isreal and the Catholic church fall in to the unforgivable category.

There has to be better evidence that they are (exclusively) led by Jehovah. Any miracles lately?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Of course all of this assumes that the Bible is really God's Word, which in turn assumes that there is actually a God that communicates with humans.

Assumption on top of assumptions layered with fallacies and errors like a baloney sandwich.

Pass the mayo.

• goddidit
  • tec
    tec

It might be that one... also it connects two things that are not necessarily connected.

I like this site:

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/rhetological-fallacies/

Peace to you,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit