Friends of Bill W. W Must Stand for WTF?

by Malsonilla 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

"so i call aa and cult and i am threatened with destruction in a head on crash" It's an anonymous discussion board. Take it with a grain of salt

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

You can't leave... ever!

Really? I see people come and go all the time. The long termers, (1 year or more of sobriety), as opposed to the short termers are in the minority. Hard to happen if u weren't allowed to leave, ever. And guess what? If u don't like a particular meeting, you can walk down the street and attend another without any sanction. Or even the same building for a different meeting. Try that in a cong.

When someone approaches me and they get to preachy, I say the same thing everytime. "Are you trying to work my program?" I've never had anything less than a complete end of whatever conversation we were engaged in. You see, everyone has their own program within AA. Because everyone is an individual. I don't know if my program is any more succesful for others than it was for me, but who cares. People have to figure this out on their own.

I don't agree with the court required visits. When it happened to me, I didn't care/appreciatte anything about it. I thought they were a bunch of whining bitches about their lot in life. Then I hit bottom.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Wha Happened: The false dilemma being used it exactly the same types of false dilemmas the JWs use.

Everyone has to find their own way to happiness and sanity. Having to say I believed that my body processed ethyanol different than someone else's when that is completely false according to science was more destructive to me than drinking because of my experience as a JW.

Eventually, I learned enough about myself enough to realzie my anxiety attacks most of which are hereditary and have nothing to do with any character flaws or lack of morality are easily treated with a small dose of clonzepam every few days or as needed. All of the suddenly, I could have A beer and go home, or I could attend a party and not get wasted and make tons of bad decisions.

Everyone must find the answers to their own unique problems in life. AA is just like the JWs because it doesn't help you find out the truth about yourself it only insist that your life was previously a mess because a lack of AA or Jah and will certainly fall apart once you begin to elimante AA or Jah from your life.

The truth is addiction is complex and often unique to the individual and a "one size fits all" mentalilty can only make you sober, but never recovered.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Cage,

Some of your assumption are way off target, but I'm glad your way worked for u. Allow others to find their own way.

• still thinking
    still thinking

My partner only went for a year...he got everything he needed alongside other treatment programs and rehab. I went to Alanon for a year alongside other counselling programs...don't need it now. There are only a few that make a lifestyle out of it. But that's the same with people who do charity work. They devote their lives to helping others. And quite frankly, if it wasn't for them AA would have died out, because most people do come and go...or go only occasionally.

I don't think courts should send people to AA. If you don't want to be there you are just a disruption and quite frankly...a pain in the ass.

• designs
    designs

What the Courts are counting on with AA is that the offender has to have their card signed everyday so the Court knows you at least fulfilled part of your fine. Whatever sinks in from the meetings or if its only to give the addict a month repreive from drinking who knows it may become a new life for the alcoholic.

Saving one kidney and liver at a time...

• still thinking
    still thinking

The truth is addiction is complex and often unique to the individual and a "one size fits all" mentalilty can only make you sober, but never recovered.

That is true...find what works for you. If it isn't working...try something else. I don't believe AA is for everyone...or that it is the only thing that you need...but it is a support system for people who want it...and need that type of support.

For some people...they are sober but never recovered. I have lived with that too. Just stopping drinking does not solve all the problems. Heavy drinking does appear to prevent personal growth and maturity. That has to be dealth with too.

• still thinking
    still thinking

What the Courts are counting on with AA is that the offender has to have their card signed everyday so the Court knows you at least fulfilled part of your fine. Whatever sinks in from the meetings or if its only to give the addict a month repreive from drinking who knows it may become a new life for the alcoholic.

LOL...most people who live with an alcoholic think like that too...they think they can fix them...LOL...it doesn't work. I got my alcoholic partner to go to AA meetings (which he went to drunk)....Group councelling meetings (which he snuck out of at coffee time and had a drink...in fact, almost all of the court appointed people at THAT meeting got stoned or drunk on their break. The place reacked of drugs and alcohol after a break).....he went to appease me...and was so busy thinking about his next drink...being there was a waste of time. The alcoholic has to WANT TO give up.

AA is just a support network...people like to go on about a failure rate...the only ones that fail are the people who keep drinking. AA is not a cure. It is just support for someone who WANTS to stop drinking.
  • JeffT
    JeffT

Not a threat, a statement of fact.

Drunk drivers kill more Americans than guns.

In 2010 the FBI estimated that there were 14,748 murders in the United States.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/violent-crime/murdermain

Of those, 67.5% or 9,955 were committed with firearms.
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10shrtbl07.xls

In the same year, accidents involving alcohol killed 10,228 people.

http://www.cdc.gov/MotorVehicleSafety/Impaired_Driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

Alcohol is also a contributing factor in the abuse of spouses and children.

http://www.getdomesticviolencehelp.com/alcohol-abuse-and-domestic-violence.html

If you don't want more drunk drivers, AA is one way to have fewer of them.

• designs
    designs

Kudos to Candice Lightner the mother whose daughter was killed by a drunk driver and started Mothers Against Drunk Drivers- MADD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit