Friends of Bill W. W Must Stand for WTF?

by Malsonilla 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Malsonilla
    Malsonilla

I keep crossing paths with people who are in recovery, that is, recovering from drug and alcohol addiction. These folks regularly attend Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous meetings and are all somewhere in the process of working the 12 steps of recovery.

The organization denies affiliation with any legal entity; A blatant deception, a lie they tell new ones and each other at each and every meeting. Although there is no official contract between the court system and the friends of Bill W, it is the LAW and court system that can take credit for the vast majority of those attending these meetings by enforcing standard mandates and court orders. The two organizations, no matter what is stated at the AA and NA meetings, work hand-in-hand.

And what of this concept of a HIGHER POWER? They also insist they are not affiliated with any religious organization or denomination, but at every meeting, they form a circle and hold hands praying for this or that . . . and of course they are not affiliated with any religious organization for clearly, THEY ARE a religious organization. First, they hammer it into the heads of those attending these meetings that they alone are powerless to effect change in their lives to overcome their addiction, and they must turn to a "higher power" in order to do it. An individual's personal religious beliefs are both summarily validated and invalidated with the philosophy that "your higher power can be anything you want it to be". The scented oil burner on my bedside table, for example, can be my higher power if choose. I am powerless against drug addiction, if I were an addict, and it is this scented oil burner that I should give it over to, pray to, rely upon for strength, and will, and determination to overcome an enslavement to substance abuse I am simply powerless against.

Sincerely

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Are you trying to get sober?

• Malsonilla
    Malsonilla

ha ha I AM sober. I am not in recovery for anything other than having been born and raised into a religious cult, so let me be perfectly clear: I do not suffer from drug or alcohol addiction.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Who is Bill W?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I find my recovering friends to be so damned needy all the time, whiny, negative, reliving their pain over and over, and the bearers of pitty pots and contradictions, and they seem more self-absorbed than an 8th grade girl, and I would almost rather associate with them using rather than sober, because sober, they can literally drive me up the damned wall, lol.

Most addicts are mentally stunted in their growth. That's what addiction does to you. It's a whole new learning experiance handling life's problems in a mature and sober manner. That's part of the recovery.

Sorry to hear your recovering friends annoy u

• Malsonilla
    Malsonilla

I didn't say they annoy me, but they can be annoying, AND draining, etc., but that is not the point of this post. There are friends of Bill W on this site who are former JW's, and I crying out for help in understanding the whole HIGHER POWER thing. Let's stay on track, please? Thanks.

• mf6
    mf6

Bill W. was one of the co-founders of AA.

I've known several who are in AA. They certainly don't annoy me. Many have found success there. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but if it worls for some, I think it's a good thing.

• caliber
    caliber

needy all the time, whiny, negative, reliving their pain over and over, and the bearers of pitty pots and contradictions, and they seem more self-absorbed than an 8th grade girl,

The words self-absorbed (looking inside) and looking to a higher power ( looking outside ) seem to also contradict each other.

Isn't the point being made that a person must first look inside themself, as with addiction to realize

you need help from an outside force such as Bill W's ?

“He who knows others is wise; he who knows himself is enlightened.”
    Lao Tzu

self-absorbed

adj preoccupied with one's own thoughts, emotions, life, etc. It would seem to me that there would need to be strong self-focus to overcome addiction ..this could also require outside source of strength

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Perhaps your friends are just annoying by nature - AA notwithstanding.

Whiners don't last long in AA - they relapse.

• Malsonilla
    Malsonilla

LOL, OK OK, FORGET THE PERSONAL COMMENTARY I MADE ABOUT THE SELF-ABSORBED STUFF. I GET ALL THAT STUFF ABOUT THEIR GROWTH BEING STUNTED, HOW ALCOHOLISM IS ALSO REFERRED TO AS "THE SELFISH DISEASE", ETC. . . .

CAN ANYONE PLEASE SPECIFICALLY ADDRESS THE HIGHER POWER THING I BRING UP (WHICH IS THE REASON FOR THIS THREAD)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit