So we are created in God's Image and expected to freely forgive those who trespass against us..so why doesn't HE?

by StoneWall 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

We kinda all know the scriptures about freely forgiving those who trespass(sin) against us and Jesus words about forgiving up to seventy-seven times etc..

Then we take into account how God hates two sets of scales to measure with: (Quotes from NWT)

Proverbs 20:23 " Two sorts of weights are something detestable to Jehovah, and a cheating pair of scales is not good.

Proverbs 20:10 " Two sorts of weights and two sorts of e′phah measures—they are both of them together something detestable to Jehovah.

So my question is this. Why not lead by example?

If I recall correctly it was only one trespass that got Adam and Eve thrown out of the garden of Eden.

It was only one trespass that got Moses in hot water and not allowed to enter the promised land. (Failure to give God credit for bringing forth water from the rocks etc.)

So in each of these instances instead of following the "freely forgiving and up to seventy-seven times" etc. it only took one trespass/sin.

Calls to my mind the question of do you practice what you preach?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'm a universalist. I say he does freely forgive EVERYONE.

• tec
    tec

Are we expected to freely forgive?

"If your brother sins against you, and then repents... forgiven him."

That being said though, Christ asked forgiveness for those even who had not repented, for what they did to him, for they knew not what they did... and so if we are to follow Him, then we should do the same.

Me, I forgive anyone who wrongs me because it is what i would want others to do for me (including Christ). "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.'

Christ shows us God.

There are also some natural consequences to our actions that have nothing to do with forgiveness or not. You don't let someone in (such as in the kingdom) who is going to come in, hurt and destroy those within that kingdom who you have promised to protect.

Peace,

tammy

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

FHN could you elaborate on your view of he does freely forgive everyone in view of the situation mankind is currently in with death,disease,poverty birth defects etc..?

Tec,

"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.'

You have to see where I'm going next with this as you posted up above. No where in that scripture is it stated forgive them after they repent. If so then its not freely forgiven because it had a requirement attached to it.

I guess my biggest gripe is the way people word things.

I'd have no qualms with it if it stated forgive those who are repentant, beg for forgiveness etc.

It's sorta like when people talk about the gift of god, then telling you what you have to do to expect to receive that gift.

If you have to work for it or meet it a requirement. it's no longer a gift but a wage because you earned it.

It's all in how somethings worded which can change the total meaning.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    FHN could you elaborate on your view of he does freely forgive everyone in view of the situation mankind is currently in with death,disease,poverty birth defects etc..?

It is taking all of those into consideration, that I think he freely forgives. And I'm betting he hopes that we'll all forgive him for us being born into this mess, with varying crappy genetics and circumstances. I mean, how fair is it to expect the same exact thing out of everyone, no matter where they are born, into what family gene pool, with possibly crazy, abusive parents, and 9,000,000 different religions claiming to be the one? As far as we know, none of us asked to be born. As far as I am concerned, to bring your kids into this miserable life and then want to condemn them for behaving like brats and not being sure who you are, that's evil.

This is just the quick answer to your question. I'm sure we could talk about it all day.

• fedup
    fedup

“God did not create man in his own image. Evidently, it was quite the other way about, which is the painless explanation for the profusion of gods and religions, and the fratricide both between and among faiths, that we see all about us and that has so retarded the development of civilization.”

- Christopher Hitchens

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Because it's man's ideas and man's interpretation of god used to control us.

It's a brilliant use of 'appeal to authority'.

It also depends on whether you believe in god/s and subject to them actually existing.

If God wanted to forgive our sins, why not just forgive them? Who's God trying to impress? Presumably himself, since he is judge and jury, as well as execution victim. - Richard Dawkins

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

umm god did forgive adam and moses.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Ravens -

umm god did forgive adam and moses.

Sorry, mate. You know I like you..............Not trying to be contrary but why then didn't god simply forgive the human race and not need to have JC sacrificed. If god were so inerrant he could have invented a better way rather than have mankind suffer thousands of years.

Forgave Adam? How'd you figure that?

• designs
    designs

There is a Big Cosmic Hoop and the sky gods want you to jump through it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit