Pronouncing it RIGHT

by Christ Alone 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

What rules do you follow when pronouncing foreign names/places/things? I was remembering that when we were studying the Daniel book for the book study back in the day, someone released a pronunciation guide. I remember studying it closely so I could pronounce all the names right (especially on the section of Daniel 11).

I've noticed that it's a pet peeve of mine when people pronounce names differently. I'm not sure why. I'm not even sure sometimes that I am pronouncing it right.

For example I pronounce Hiroshima - Hero She Ma. Others pronounce it - Her O shema. My dad pronounced Messianic - Mess ee ON ic, while I pronounced it - Mess ee AN ic.

I'm not sure of the "rules" when pronouncing foreign words. Do you pronounce it like the natives do? I guess I would assume this is true. I don't call a Tortilla - Tor til a, even though in english 2 LL's don't make a Y sound.

Maybe I'm weird for thinking about this.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

christ alone: if im this bad at spelling imagine how i was read the wt study on sundays lol

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

It always ticked me off people pronounced Jehovah, Jehover or car, caah.

• Aware!
    Aware!

I don't think there any set rules, so I just lookup everything in the dictionary.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

How did you pronounce "Philistines"? I've heard it pronounced at the Hall "Fill a steens" and outside the Hall "Phyllis stynes".

• Aware!
    Aware!

JimmyPage- both are correct, although FIL-uh-steen is the preferred pronunciation in my dictionary.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

If you want to hear the Divine Name pronounced correctly, visit any congregation on Long Island, NY

• Satanus
    Satanus

Let me give you a tip. Your title has a grammatical problem. If you're going to be picky, you need to consider things like this.

S

• Hortensia
    Hortensia
    Pronouncing it correctly

Try this website: http://www.forvo.com/word/messianic/#en

• Kudra
    Kudra

Best pronounciation combo: a horrid brother in our congregation was doing the reading for the bookstudy out of the Daniel book (? or some book with prophecies regarding King Herod).

He pronounced Herod, "Hee - rod" and pronounced Sheol, "She - hole".

And there were sentences where they were used together, i.e. "Hee - rod went down to She - hole" or the like. Not for a laugh, he was just super out of it. It was SO. AWESOME. Couldn't stand the guy though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit