My DEATH as an Intellectual

by Terry 63 Replies latest social entertainment

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Methinks Terry likes the sound of his own voice a bit much.

Perhaps he should start his own church... he's already doing the weekly sermons. Please Terry... share your thoughts regarding at what point one has to tune out the weekly noise of the neighborhood violinist. I think there is value in reading the opinions of others.. but that opinion is downgraded when the person doesn't really engage in active discussion, but only shares their opinions in regularly scheduled "so says I" posts.

- Lime

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Terry ===> PM <===

JV

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks for that post Terry. I enjoyed it.

I could also relate to what you said about giving talks. Often the ones that I got the most praise for had the least preparation.

Cedars

• cantleave
    cantleave

I died as an intellectual when I discovered alcohol!

• donny
    donny

Great post as usual Terry.

But I have a question. How can you blame the Society for your death as an intellectual when Slave member Anthony Morris declares Jehovah's Witnesses to be "The Thinkingest People On The Planet ."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_9kiS8U46E&playnext=1&list=PLDBAF6B654A127171&feature=results_video

• james_woods
    james_woods
    "The Thinkingest People On The Planet ."

Not only the Thinkingest, but they are Happified to be the Spellingest and most Wordified.

• Terry
    Terry

terry put all your essays in one volume.

Easier to burn!

I'd have to say that only about 2% of what I write is worth spending the time to read or respond to.

So much crap to wade through would be an awful waste of time.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Devils advocate:

You couldn't have been that smart dude, you became a JW !

:P

• LV101
    LV101

I think it would be far from a waste of time. You have amazing topics and people don't have time to think about until your "crap" comes along.

LV

• Terry
    Terry

Methinks Terry likes the sound of his own voice a bit much.

Perhaps he should start his own church... he's already doing the weekly sermons. Please Terry... share your thoughts regarding at what point one has to tune out the weekly noise of the neighborhood violinist. I think there is value in reading the opinions of others.. but that opinion is downgraded when the person doesn't really engage in active discussion, but only shares their opinions in regularly scheduled "so says I" posts.

I'm retired. Lots of time on my hands.

The problem with starting a church is that you become other people's shepherd, caretaker, mentor, analyst, counselor and babysitter. I don't have the magnitude of heart for that! I'm a loner. Doesn't play well with others:)

There are many people who post on JW-net. I'm just one of them. It's best to skip my topics when they are shallow, boring or ridiculous.

I prefer engagement rather than disengagement. However, it is difficult to sustain a genuine on-topic give and take without ad hominem creeping in.

The toughest part of writing a Topic is creating one that CAN be responded to; I mostly fail in structuring my writing open-endedly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit