I Still Can't Celebrate Xmas. Can You? Christians vs Atheists

by Malsonilla 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

CA, that is a major point that falls on deaf ears with the 'dubs. Sure we know where saturday came from. Do 'dubs still say it and refer to it? Of course, but there isn't a bulletin board at the KH. Wedding rings? We all have them, but don't say good luck.

If a 'dub really sat down and looked at everyday life and how many items in our lives have pagan origins, their head would spin. But the GB has done the job of thinking for them so they use some items with pagan origins, and others are marked as evil.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I agree with CA, the WTBS banned Christmas and birthdays, but completely ignored other pagan roots. I think by doing so they are strategically able to dilute the family bonds. Traditions like these celebrations build wonderful memories all centred on families. Without them the bonds those memories strengthen are weakened, making it easier to break family ties when disfellowshipping occurs or people leave the WTBS.

I'm a believer and though I don't affliliate with a religion, I now celebrate Christmas. I am thankful that Christ was born, regardless of the date. It's a time of giving and prompts kindness and concern that may not otherwise happen, what's to object to? Christ spoke of cleaning ourselves on the inside rather than becoming weighed down with the burdens of rules. The WTBS has become so legalistic they've lost the love he promoted and have bred a people who cherry pick what to accept and what to reject.

Loz x

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

strategically able to dilute the family bonds.

Interesting. I'll have to look at other things they poo poo. It may be a push to dilute the family and influence, over the GB

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

let romans 14 be the guide i think verse 5 or 6 . sorry i dont have a bible with me. me i cant do because my family, i prob would not do it only because i want to led as many jw to christ as i can, and it seems that may be a stumling block.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I'm sure it's a push to achieve that Wha happened, I've thought about it a lot. I reared my first two to teenagers before the JWs came into our lives and it made a difference. Stealing weekends from families is another one. All the focus for family unity is on circuit assemblies and district conventions which often replace family holidays too.

Loz x

• jgnat
    jgnat

I blame the WTS obsession with accuracy. I tell my husband all the time around this time of year, close enough. Who cares if the date is wrong?

Seasonal celebrations, done well, solidify warm childhood memories and bond generations and extended family.

Without seasonal markers of some kind, the way our brains work, memories become a big grey blur. Nothing to anchor them.

You could make a holiday up, just for your family, if you want the benefits without the hangups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa

Don't ditch birthdays.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Brilliantly put jgnat. You expressed my thoughts very well, better than I did in fact!

Loz x

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Nc, not particularly helpful for a recent Exjw that is struggling with left over wt thinking... Just sayin

Oh, gee, I'm sorry. I thought atheists were asked to chime in and that was my personal experience. Sorry it's not relevant. I'll be more careful next time, because NO exiting JW is approaching Christmas for the first time as an atheist, and therefore, my personal experience could never be helpful.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I apologize NC. I didn't read both the op and your post close enough. I am sorry.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I apologize NC. I didn't read both the op and your post close enough. I am sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit