I Still Can't Celebrate Xmas. Can You? Christians vs Atheists

by Malsonilla 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Malsonilla
    Malsonilla

While in the organization we learned one bit of truth regarding Christmas; that it was originally a pagan observance, the summer solstice, adopted by Christians much later in Church history, and has nothing to do with Jesus Christ whatsoever. No biggy for most true believers who left the organization who have slipped into (or fell back into) the grind of commercialized Christmas with all the trappings and traditions of ritual binge spending that takes them even farther away from Jesus than Christmas' pagan roots ever could. These true believers might say something like, "I know xmas has its roots in paganism, but we celebrate anyway because of x y z", perhaps echoing or paroting the frustrating responses we use to hear from "worldly" goats/folks when we would explain to them how Christmas is not a Christian observance whatsoever. I'd love to hear from true believers and learn more about their rationale for either celebrating or not celebrating now that they are free to do as they choose.

Are you an atheist or agnostic? What are your perspectives about Christmas? Do you celebrate now simply because you are allowed to or does your non-belief in a diety and a savior cause you to eschew the observance for new or different reasons altogether?

As for me? I would like to see the actual Summer Solstice observance come back strong and true, not cloaked in Christianity. Until then, we have Burning Man. ;)

• cofty
    cofty

I'm atheist - Christmas is brilliant. Lights, music, family, food, drink, sweets, presents, holidays - what's not to like?

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

You shouldn't have a problem. Atheists don't believe in God, but most have no problem enjoying the religious trappings of the culture they were born into that they consider to be positive. That includes holidays.

• cofty
    cofty

Anyway WTF has christmas got to do with religion?

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

Christmas is Love!!!! Family, food, gifts, giving, friends, great shopping, wonderful parties. Reflecting on the year and anticipating the new year. It's wonderful church services.

Christmas is AWESOME!!!!

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

As jws we also were not told what other things have pagan origins. If you wear a ring, you need to know that rings have a pagan origin. Different clothing fashions such as the neck tie have sordid origins as well. The names of the days of the week also have pagan origins.

When Saturday rolls around do you think of the God Saturn? No. When you wear your wedding ring, are you showing that you believe the spirits of you and your husband are joined together with a pagan deity? No. ChristmAs is the same. The items associated with Christmas no longer mean what they used to mean, just as your wearing a wedding ring or making a toast no longer mean what they used to mean.

By the way. I am a Christian and an Exjw. I find Christmas a great time to read and reflect on Jesus and his coming to earth. The night he was born, the angels celebrated his birth. Since we don't have the actual date of his birth, December is as good a time as any to honor him. Christmas is not mandetory. The trees and lights aren't either. But why not make it a festive occasion? Most things can be traced back to paganism. If you were to reject all things that started with the pagans, you would have to give up a lot. But god does not require that. Paul told us not to let anyone judge us for considering a day as special.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

My goal, is to one day completely decorate my tree with Pagan symbols that more appropriately remember the winter festivals from which Christmas borrowed. I like the irony.

Christmas was not a religious celebration for me before I was a JW, and it is not a religious celebration for me now that I'm an atheist. But I love the lights, not big on religious decorations, love Christmas cookies, and the music is moving.

I'm hosting Christmas this year for some non-believing friends. Should be fun.

• NewChapter
  • Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Nc, not particularly helpful for a recent Exjw that is struggling with left over wt thinking... Just sayin

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Nc, not particularly helpful for a recent Exjw that is struggling with left over wt thinking... Just sayin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit