For the GB, it's all about attention!

by NoRegrets 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Thanks for the bump Zid. I'm bumping it myself because it's been an interesting discussion. Hope you're well!

NR

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I actually volunteered long hours to help Obama be elected and re-elected. President Obama is a politician. His take on black/white relations from both sides of his family was one of the biggest advances in race relations in this country. He does have a particular ideology (my personal view is that he could be more progressive on issues. Hopefully, without facing re-election he will be) that reasonable people can counter.

The country that elected a black man president is also the same country with free speech rights.

The birther nonsense is annoying. As I've stated many times, the birthers veer towards racism. As long as Obama has the military on his side, he is the president. Too many ultra conservative politicans have agreed that he is our legitimate president.

We can discuss race and our individual perspectives. I've spent decades in the field. Every major American magazine, newspaper, TV show, sitcoms, news, etc. if full of commentary on race.

If Obama could not take racism, and more or less scoff at it, he never would have run for elective office. After a long time in the civil rights movement, I laughed so hard when his name was put forward as a potential presidential candidate. He proved that race in America is loosing steam.

Obama's speech used strawmen and illogical fallacies. In the larger world, it is being hailed. Not only Americans but the world is celebrataing his re-election. My family never owned slaves. A majority of white people never particpated in slavery. We left slave like conditions in Europe to find a dream. Obama is the first major sign that Americans are tired of race-baiting.

People who disagree with Obama's policies are one segment of the population. A fraction are racist and ugly. I don't recall any other president getting such ill informed crap. They reference far right newspapers and websites. Of course, Obama graduated from my university. So I suppose he is immediately suspect by some. An Ivy League education and he reads books. Perhaps he is just as dangerous to some as to the birthers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit