I quit being an Atheist!

by cyberjesus 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Atheists are only called so because of theism. If golf had never been invented, you wouldn't hear anyone saying, 'I'm not a golf player'. It would be a non-sequitur. In fact, you never hear anyone defining themselves as a non golf player. I totally get what you're saying, cyberjesus.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I understand totally what you're saying. Saying you're an atheist is really just a response to the question: "Do you believe in a God or not"?, but is the answer "no" to that question really such a huge deal now in this modern, secular, sceptical age that one must have a label called 'atheist' as if belief in God is some kind of default human setting (one could argue that perhaps it is though)? In some ways, the label 'atheist' is an anachronism from an age when it was such a big deal. But now its akin to being defined as "acatholic" for someone who is not a catholic. Nevertheless, it is still a very convenient label within the context of any discussion on the existence of God or not. It's like an 'apolitical' person or an 'anarchist.'

• sizemik
    sizemik

Atheist is similar to Apostate . . . except on a slightly grander scale. It's based on their rejection of something . . . a "standing aside" and has nothing to do with who they actually are and why.

The great realisation finally arrives in both cases . . . "Standing aside from what? Being anti- what? Rejecting what? . . . how can you do that with something that doesn't exist? . . . a fabricated fantasy. There is no relativity . . . except to exclude from a general, but opposite group, hence the A- prefix. The illusion becomes reality.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Cyberjesus, if you believe in human beings but not a god, and you also believe in ethical standards and have a clear, altruistic view of the desirability of good behaviour, maybe also charitable actions from one human being to another, plus a degree of idealism as to humans attaining heights of all of this, concern for the welfare of the poor and deprived etc, then the chances are you are a humanist.

By and large, off this forum, in my circle of friends and widely in this country, such people usually prefer to define themselves as humanist rather than atheist.

Isn't it nicer to call oneself by a positive term than a negative?

I don't know why there's so much talk of atheism on here. How much more constructive and interesting a discussion on humanism might be!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit