Living Through the Brief Liberalization of Jehovah's Witnesses, Never Recovering

by TMS 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

I remember that idea that the circuit overseers were viewed as humble "fellow" elders during the 1970's.

Then about 1980, a well-regarded elder, one of the best speakers in the district, gave a talk repeating the idea that a circuit overseer was really just another elder. This was at the District Convention in St. Paul, Minnesota. I heard from a very reliable source that the assembly overseer took him into a room deep in the bowels of the St. Paul Civic Center and chewed him out, saying that wasn't the way the organization teaches.

The whip-cracking came down even on the best and brightest. (It took a lesser form for some of us. I was only a ministerial servant, and I only got told that I needed to cut my hair above my ears and not wear a sport coat while giving Public Talks on Sunday.)

• designs
    designs

Did Ray Franz have a hand in the James Book.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Did Ray Franz have a hand in the James Book.

Designs, ask and you shall receive!

The book was mainly the brainchild of Ed Dunlap, also a victim of the Bethel purge / witchhunt of 1980. BTW, back in the day I LOVED the James book.

I'm not sure of the extent to which Ray Franz was involved in creating the James book.

This thread about the book is interesting: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/188186/1/Commentary-on-the-Letter-of-James

• designs
    designs

Ed Dunlap, thanks. They tried to reform the beast but then took their lumps and hit the streets for a better life.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

TMS sez,

The KM insert allowed for 5 key positions, each filled by an elder, but rotated from year to year. That arrangement was in effect for several years, resulting in a different Presiding Overseer each year. An almost stunning change was that initially at least the circuit overseer was viewed as simply another elder, a traveling one, with more or less experience than local elders. Recommendations for congregation responsibility were made with the input of all of the elders including the circuit overseer. Gradually the pendelum swung back, but initially that was heady concept.

Healthy, but not necessarily Biblical, was not really put into practice that we know of, and certainly was not widely practiced. I think it was part of Ray Franz' hopeless dreams. They simply wouldn't put his ideas into practice without begrudging him, and Knorr and Freddy were EXTREMELY outspoken against a "rotating" arrangement, which had no real early NT precedent on any scale. The early church (pre-Nicene and mainly later) bishops ruled their roost - ONE PER CHURCH in most cases.

Once the persecution lifted with Constantine's "new light from heaven," it started the power struggles. Knorr HATED that he was dying... blubbering all over the halls at Bethel, and Franz (Fred) was really pissed that he might not become the all powerful seeing eye of God as president. He wasn't into rotating. :-))

They let Freddy have the presidency after about 70 years, but the yellow book (God's Kingdom of 1000 Years? I don't remember) on the parables of Jesus (especially his Gilead talk on the book, given about 1974ish or early 1975), revealed he was really a complete lunatic, reversing practically every explanation of Jesus' parables from a common sense standpoint.

Not long after that, he was "whisked away" from Bethel. :-))

Someone has the whole lecture Franz gave at the Gilead Grad. somewhere online. It was the craziest thing I ever saw him do, but then again, I never visited the saunas, which was one of his pulpits. LOL

With the organizational changes, the emphasis on serving Jehovah from the heart, not to create a service record, the newfound authority for many, many interesting situations developed. If a fellow elder let his hair grow a bit, including facial hair, he was within his rights. It was difficult to argue scripturally for short hair and clean-shaven faces. At the circuit or district level, assembly overseers seemed to enforce more stringent standards, but frequently the congregations on an individual basis could be more lax. Public speakers frequently developed their own talks, featuring their own agendas or pet peeves. Some were very dramatic, entertaining, but did not resemble the confining rhetoric of the Watchtower.

One of the first relaxations came with respect to the treatment of disfellowshipped persons. We could now actually greet them. The Watchtower printed the example of passing a disfellowshipped person with a flat tire, stating that the Christian approach would be to stop and offer assistance as we would do for any non-Witness. We were given the option of providing transportation to the meetings for those disfellowshipped. (I remember sitting in on a judicial committee resulting in a disfellowshipping. We encouraged the person to attend all the meetings. I ended up transporting her to the Kingdom Hall for several months.)

During the summer convention of 1975 one of the talks dealt with proper attire at meetings, stating that proper female attire was not limited to skirts and dresses, but included pantsuits, as long as they were designed for female wear. We were in a huge innercity congregation at the time. The first meeting following that assembly, ALL of the sisters wore pantsuits to the Kingdom Hall.

A number of Watchtower articles of that era emphasized the individual conscience, making decisions based on principles, taking care of the widow and orphan as part of the "ministry", etc. Many of us eagerly accepted all of this sort of Christian, highminded, individual approach to serving our God. While we could give a number of other initiatives, examples, you get the drift of the organization for a very brief time in its history.

That was mostly Ray's influence... it certainly was NOT the approach the GB as a whole ever vtook or ever wanted to. It's nice tyo put personalities behind these stupid changes in policy they made... I could tell you stories of problems at Bethel that later "appeared" in the KMs to counteract them.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. That was Bethel in the 50s through the early 80s.

Randy

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Ah yes the freedom ,the reform the enlightenment, I was there.

I remember when women were finally accepted as elders and ministerial servants.

When they got up on stage in their pantsuits and gave the main talk on Sunday.

Finally there were accepted as human beings, with no distinction of class or position based on gender. What enlightenment, no more "Old Boys" club.

Oh wait a minute, what message board is this ?

• fiddler
    fiddler

This has been such an interesting discussion and kind of helps explain my choice to continue with the religion. I had left the belief system when I was 14/15 but due to getting in with a not so good environment at school got my life in a bit of a mess. The religion was the only 'safe' place I could think to return to.

The meetings and the attitudes WERE a lot more liberal back then. I got married in 1977 and my husband grew a mustache that he kept until chemo got rid of it. I do remember one elder making some snide comment about men with facial hair never getting anywhere in the congregation not even realizing that my husband had one.......what an awkward moment that was. That was in the 80's so the tides were changing. Then through the 90's I grew increasing sad and depressed because as you pointed out, having come in in the 70's we all retained that mindset because it was more NATURAL and loving.

I do remember the James book and in fact, just before I finally called it quits with the JW's in 1999 I re-read that and attempted to read some of the other old study books. I was even rebuked for mentioning the James book by a pioneer sister. I had NO IDEA why or that it was attributed to Ray Franz. After I left I was given the old "you weren't studying enough" lecture by my Aunt on our final conversation before it bacame clear to her that I was an official 'apostate'. I replied back to her that it was exactly because I was studying so much that I left!" I didn't find out until a few years later on one of the ex-JW sites that the rank and file were actually being told not to read old literature. To me, as a born in 3rd generation JW that just seemed so wrong. If the literature was 'directed by holy spirit' back in the 60's and 70's or the Russel to Rutherford years for that matter, it STILL should have had some value to my way of thinking.

During the 80's I was a young mother of 4 little ones and spent a great deal of time in the 'mothers room' and although the talks were piped in you KNOW we all sat back there and talked LOL! I probably missed a few things but all in all, I was quite a 'studier' and I also took notes at all the assemblies in shorthand and could often get quiet a few word for word quotes written down. Those notes I 'noted' seemed to be the basis of the next years Watchtowers and TM meetings so I was also getting a lot.

By the late 90's I started seeing the similarity of the accounts of the Israelites being so much like the modern fundementalist Islamics and Sharia law. So.......that's when the complete mental fog finally started to lift and the scales fell of my eyes. Oh yeah.........the Internet helped immensely as well.

So again.......this topic makes so much sense to me. I think having you former elders and MS insights into things clears up so many of the things we R & F witnesses sensed but didn't know. I have kicked myself so many times for 'falling for it' for so long. This kind of explains what hooked us in the first place. Once hooked it IS very difficult to get unhooked.

• TMS
    TMS

"I remember when women were finally accepted as elders and ministerial servants.

When they got up on stage in their pantsuits and gave the main talk on Sunday."

No, villagegirl. The liberalization never went that far although among JWs there are far more capable women then men.

tms

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Fiddler - thanks for your story - Getting un-hooked does seem to be a process not an event. I am facinated by the minutiae found here on this board, the disection of every word. Words about what the WT is saying now.

The actual words of Jesus still seem "mad" to most ex-dubs. Born again ? Snicker, snicker, crazy talk.

Jesus said very mystical things, and the WT and even ex-dubs try to "isolate" what he said,

and argue who ir "applied" to. Classes, restricted numbers, anyone but the general public at large

or even worse to the rank and file JW.

Try reading the Book of John as if it is speaking to you personally, horrors, how could that be??

I'd rather be an atheist seems to be the reaction. Uncomfortable with Jesus talking about "dwelling in you" or the baptism of Holy Spirit, or " I am in you and you are in me" " We all are one"

Jesus just goes on and on, just passing out "everlasting life" "freedom from bondage" and all sort of scary things. Like a madman.

He says " I am the Door" " Anyone who believes in me,( sees him as the Messiah) will have everlasting life."

Say what ? No that must be only some limited number of a "special class".

Special Class ? Organization ? If this were true, why is it in the entire Bible the word Oganization,does not appear? Why did Jesus say " you are neither male nor female...but all ONE in the Christ" ? What? No that can't be true, there must be "Leaders" Rank, right ? How will we maintain Order? " We must have Order" oh wait aminute that stuff about we "must have order" is a qoute from the Nazis.

• TMS
    TMS

"I could tell you stories of problems at Bethel that later "appeared" in the KMs to counteract them."

Yes, Dogpatch. A circuit overseer tipped me off in the mid-60's that frequently Watchtower and KM articles frequently related to some situation that developed at Bethel or "in the field." He taught me to "read between the lines."

I didn't realize it until years later, but my belief and continued practice of some of the principles learned in the 70's caused me to be viewed as a sort of maverick elder with a questionable attitude. I was entrenched, so not easily removed, but I noticed myself bypassed more and more for privileges that were given to younger, more militant elders. One of my last assignments was to conduct Pioneer Service School. I was paired with a longtime circuit overseer. No two men were ever less alike. I remember disagreeing with almost every bit of advice he gave to the pioneers.

tms

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit