Living Through the Brief Liberalization of Jehovah's Witnesses, Never Recovering

by TMS 74 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

There was even a very brief interval in this liberalization in which an effort was made to reach out to DFd persons and get them back in.

It lasted about as long as the "rotation of elders" idea...

• watson
    watson
    I get the sense that the current Witness congregation is a gaggle of lonely individuals, keeping social connections at arm's length...just in case they must shun someday.

Wow, Jgnat. You have a way with "nailing it".

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Interesting and thoughtful summary, TMS. I remember the rules around DFing being relaxed in the '70s, but I hadn't really noticed a general sense of freedom during that time. I had moved to Central America to pioneer in 1975, so my attention was focused elsewhere. So I appreciate your perspective now looking back.

I recall when the elder arrangement came in. It was quite traumatic at our hall for the elderly cong. overseer who had been "top dog". He was a kind, loving man who was actually pushed to the side once others were appointed as elders. I do recall how excited I was to have the Aid to Bible Understanding, as I loved research and was fascinated by all the historical detail. I remember that the '69 summer conventions (we went to Vancouver) did seem to usher in a bit of a new era. Although I don't recall a talk about not counting time, your comments in that regard do twig some vague memories.

Ultimate Axiom - my brother and I had a Honda 50. What a hoot! Can't imagine going on any kind of a long trip on it. To me it always felt like riding a bicycle in the middle of traffic.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    I get the sense that the current Witness congregation is a gaggle of lonely individuals, keeping social connections at arm's length...just in case they must shun someday.
    Wow, Jgnat. You have a way with "nailing it".

Not much different than 1984's senario. You never knew if one of your 'friends' would give you away. You always had to play the part.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

My father wandered into this cult in the early 70s. Being a baby then I never knew there was a time when JWs were more liberal. I found this thread fascinating and am sad the freedom didn't last.

• TMS
    TMS

"My father wandered into this cult in the early 70s. Being a baby then I never knew there was a time when JWs were more liberal. I found this thread fascinating and am sad the freedom didn't last."

JimmyPage,

One of the points I didn't make quite well enough is that some of us bought into the relaxed control, enjoying the freedom of simply "doing the right thing." I, for one, gladly relinquished some of my so-called authority, to share it with a body of men. It seemed equitable, biblical. I also bought into the notion that traveling overseers were men just like me, equals. I never recovered from that notion, because the original ideas were taught scripturally and never unlearned. That caused some organizational problems down the line, but I always felt on firm ground.

Now, of course, as an agnostic, non-religious person, all of this discussion seems irrelevant, but it is part of my/our history nonetheless, and we can't totally disconnect.

tms

• TMS
    TMS

"I recall when the elder arrangement came in. It was quite traumatic at our hall for the elderly cong. overseer who had been "top dog". He was a kind, loving man who was actually pushed to the side once others were appointed as elders."

mamochan13,

The new elder arrangement rendered some tyrants almost powerless, but it did make good, elderly overseers feel almost useless with so much eager new blood seizing the opportunity to lead. The wife of the former Congregation Servant also had her position as queen of the congregation now challenged by the upstart new elder's wives. Some congregations adjusted better than others but it wasn't unusual for the old Congregation Servant and his wife to change congregations seeking that acceptance and respect to which they had become accustomed.

tms

• prologos
    prologos

Wt got the rotation idea from the only "G B" meeting in old Jerusalem, with Peter (Acts 15:6) being the opening chairmen and James (Acts !5:13-19) presiding over the final session.

The years of rotating jobs was very productive.

Before that everything was frozen, (talent,merit or not) ambitious people were in despair of the Company servant not moving, not dying, not abdicating (like the pope).

Rotation was HATED by the old elite, it really showed on their faces. Dismayed to be shown that the congregation would just do fine without their ministrations.

as a matter of fact the congregations flourished, not really because of rotation only, but because of 75, the end, the BEGINNING of the NW was surely coming!!!

MANDATORY Rotation forced people to work in unfamiliar domains. The fumbling loving bumbler suddenly had to lead, and everybody loved it and helped.

After having "lead" (now in wtspeak "co-ordinate ") for a year, you became School overseer, your latent talent as a theater critic/actor /coach took everybody off guard. In one of the congregations I was in, the School overseer had a degree in Journalism, was a local TV personality!

Fate rotated me into the "Lead" slot in 74/75. scary, imagine, with satan's attack immenent beeing the prime target, but helping everbody through the G T and into the NW! what a relief it never happened.

The smile came back on the dominators with a vengence when bible instructions were abandoned again for cult - type dictatorial control.

If the eager eight would look at their charts, greatest increase happened with least control.

You saw the future back then,--- but people here, -- are already under least control. that is why:

Mark my word: there is more increase here than where we came from, --spiritually speaking.

• TMS
    TMS

"MANDATORY Rotation forced people to work in unfamiliar domains. The fumbling loving bumbler suddenly had to lead, and everybody loved it and helped."

Very good points, proglogos. The rotation seemed to demystify offices like Presiding Overseer. An unlikely, unnatural leader could hold the reins for a year and the congregation didn't die.

Some brothers nimbly sidestepped the Secretary position as they knew it involved actual clerical work. Later on, Service Overseer was thrust on newbie elders since one almost HAD to take a lead in field service in that role. One thing quickly learned was to never miss an elder's meeting or you might end up with an assignment or book study you didn't want.

tms

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

It was the time of The Commentary on the Book of James a woefully unread book. That book set the tone for giving a shit about anyone but yourself without worrying what the corporation thought of you. I really liked the series of WT articles on the fruitage of the spirit. Then it went back to the fruitage of the corporation. Jerks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit