Living Through the Brief Liberalization of Jehovah's Witnesses, Never Recovering

by TMS 74 Replies latest jw friends

• TMS
    TMS

With the book Crisis of Conscience detailing the turbulence at Bethel during the early to mid 70's, the transformation from autocratic rule to governance by committee or a body of men, many of us can speak to how that felt among the rank and file of the local congregations during those years. We learned new concepts based in large part to research done for the Aid to Bible Understanding volume, then we were asked or coerced into unlearning those principles, going back to the old ways. Some of us never readjusted, finding ourselves very different from our more hardline compadres.

The inertia for the changes that eventually were initiated in the congregations came from the discovery that the Greek words episkopos and presbyteros were used biblically to refer to all qualified men in a congregation, not just one. This dramatic new insight was shared with the R&F at the '71 summer conventions with the new organizational changes to be effected in the following service year. There was also a talk few seem to remember that paved the way for not counting time spent in spreading the "good news. I approached the circuit overseer who gave the talk asking if it was possible field service time would no longer be counted. "That's what it looks like," was his response.

We received the organisational instructions about recommending a body of elders in the insert of the September Kingdom Ministry. As a very young Congregation Servant or Overseer, it was my job to meet with the entire servant body to discuss the insert, review the scriptural qualifations for elder and make our recommendation. As I recall, congregations went to two extremes, some making no recommendations for elder, while others recommended nearly all of the adult, active males. In one nearby congregation, an unassuming Congregation Servant for two decades did not feel he or any other brother met the biblical standard. None were appointed.

The KM insert allowed for 5 key positions, each filled by an elder, but rotated from year to year. That arrangement was in effect for several years, resulting in a different Presiding Overseer each year. An almost stunning change was that initially at least the circuit overseer was viewed as simply another elder, a traveling one, with more or less experience than local elders. Recommendations for congregation responsibility were made with the input of all of the elders including the circuit overseer. Gradually the pendelum swung back, but initially that was heady concept.

With the organizational changes, the emphasis on serving Jehovah from the heart, not to create a service record, the newfound authority for many, many interesting situations developed. If a fellow elder let his hair grow a bit, including facial hair, he was within his rights. It was difficult to argue scripturally for short hair and clean-shaven faces. At the circuit or district level, assembly overseers seemed to enforce more stringent standards, but frequently the congregations on an individual basis could be more lax. Public speakers frequently developed their own talks, featuring their own agendas or pet peeves. Some were very dramatic, entertaining, but did not resemble the confining rhetoric of the Watchtower.

One of the first relaxations came with respect to the treatment of disfellowshipped persons. We could now actually greet them. The Watchtower printed the example of passing a disfellowshipped person with a flat tire, stating that the Christian approach would be to stop and offer assistance as we would do for any non-Witness. We were given the option of providing transportation to the meetings for those disfellowshipped. (I remember sitting in on a judicial committee resulting in a disfellowshipping. We encouraged the person to attend all the meetings. I ended up transporting her to the Kingdom Hall for several months.)

During the summer convention of 1975 one of the talks dealt with proper attire at meetings, stating that proper female attire was not limited to skirts and dresses, but included pantsuits, as long as they were designed for female wear. We were in a huge innercity congregation at the time. The first meeting following that assembly, ALL of the sisters wore pantsuits to the Kingdom Hall.

A number of Watchtower articles of that era emphasized the individual conscience, making decisions based on principles, taking care of the widow and orphan as part of the "ministry", etc. Many of us eagerly accepted all of this sort of Christian, highminded, individual approach to serving our God. While we could give a number of other initiatives, examples, you get the drift of the organization for a very brief time in its history.

By the early 80's the organization reverted back to the old way of treating disfellowshipped persons, firmed up the local leadership with permanent presiding overseers and reinforced the control of the traveling overseers. Many of us who bought the humanity of the liberalization never quite fit in again.

tms

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

That's very interesting. Do you feel that the expectations surrounding 1975 had anything to do with this?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Interesting points. I became a Witness in 1973, as a consequence I thought that many of the things that others saw as reforms (or loosening standards) felt normal to me. The congregation I was in, was generally relaxed and open about a lot of things. I THOUGHT I was joining a religion that was turning away from many of the things I disliked about organized religion - ostentatious buildings and rituals, dogmatic understanding of scripture, adherence to tradition, etc. It may be telling that when they started to clamp down again my wife and I no longer felt comfortable with our religion.

Incidently, I shaved off my beard when I was studying, as soon as I heard that talk about dressing at the KH I grew the moustache back.

• designs
    designs

Good memory TMS, it was brief oh so brief and then the jihadists took control again. I remember that summer Assembly in 1980 when the 'apostate talks' rained down on us, I literally felt sick.

• TMS
    TMS

"That's very interesting. Do you feel that the expectations surrounding 1975 had anything to do with this?" paul from cleveland

I never saw anything done by the organization that indicated an awareness of anything drastic happening in 1975. All of the paranoia was on the local level; pioneering, sold homes, maxed out credit cards, even a Kingdom Hall refinancing with an ascending, exhorbitant interest rate after a few initial years of low interest. With the WTBS it was business as usual, buying properties, planning for growth, etc. The restructuring into committees was sort of thrust upon them by their own changing understanding or doctrine. Even at that, it met resistance by Knorr and F. Franz.

tms

• TMS
    TMS

JeffT,

As we know the Watchtower was on thin biblical ice, enforcing any directives on hair length or facial hair and standards varied according to ethnicity and geography. It was noted, for example, that elders in Alaska wore beards in the early 70's while that was a no-no in the continental U.S. Mustaches were tolerated on hispanic and afro-american brothers, but not on caucasians. With Jesus, the apostles and first century Christians all having long hair, it became an issue of local sensibility.

As to dress, I recall a brother from Bethel who is now on one of the organizational committees visited us as a District Overseer. He met with the elders, speaking from an outline he said was a Society manuscript. It suggested the elders drive through their area on a Sunday morning, noting how people going to church dressed in their community. A young elder raised his hand and was recognized: "Since when do we allow Christendom to dictate our standards?" The Bethel brother's face turned beet red and he shut the meeting down abruptly. Going beyond the "things written" is always difficult to enforce.

tms

• TMS
    TMS

"Good memory TMS, it was brief oh so brief and then the jihadists took control again. I remember that summer Assembly in 1980 when the 'apostate talks' rained down on us, I literally felt sick."

designs,

I recall in 1980 or 81 the circuit overseer seemed eager to chit chat with us after our elders meeting. He usually left fairly quickly to type things up. It was obvious he wanted to give us the society's spin on the so-called apostacy, rebellion. He talked at length about what happened at Bethel with Ray Franz, almost nothing he said being accurate. He presented Franz as getting a high head, promoting a "secondary heavenly calling" and a lot of other nonsense. Something he said always stuck with me. He described the governing body as having a contentious give-and-take about doctrinal matters. He could sense that statement bothered me, shattering my fantasy. He said well, "on that level" they do argue back and forth about doctrine.

tms

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

TMS, Interesting information, since I came in early 80's.

NightOwl

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you for a fascinating thread TMS.

I vaguely remember these things as a child. The '71 convention in our area was in Roker Park, Sunderland NE England. That was when they introduced the idea of a body of elders. I was only 8 years old but I recall a lot of discussion at home about who would and wouldn't be appointed.

Two years previously we had a national convention in Wembley Stadium in London. I have lots of memories of that as a 6 year old including a specially commissioned train full of JWs from Scotland to Kings Cross station in London.

Meetings seemed more relaxed in the 70s with mini-dramas in the service meeting and a lot of initiative by local brothers. Public talks had audience participation as well.

Its a pity the hardliners took control in the end.

• designs
    designs

The 80s presented many of us with the view behind the curtain and we saw the Wizard(s) of Oz for what they were.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit