The Nature of God

by sabastious 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Sab, from my reading I understand that Yahweh was a god of war. The Israelites adopted this god (perhaps because they were in war mode) and elevated him to the only god. When we look at the many personalities of this god, some very opposed to other personalities, it really does make sense that they may have been trying to evolve this god into one that encompassed a bit more than war. Perhaps borrowing traits from other gods, or simply giving this god a fuller spectrum of human emotions.

Yahweh is the God of righteous war and is the masculine element of the Elohim model. However it's not JUST war that this Aspect of God represents, but also the coming together of certain armies. This denotes a purpose to a particular war as people are grouping for a cause, not just for violence and domination. Yahweh is a peacemaker and a peacekeeper. Is this not the traditional role of the man?

It might be helpful to really research the other gods of the area and time. There are many parallels to other ancient Mesopotamian gods---even in their laws.

Parallels are good because it shows that the Word of God works with all of humanity and not just a particular group. However Genesis 1 speaks of The God as in the God of all Gods and therefore settles the polytheistic dilemma which was raging in the day of it's creation. Genesis was written to set many contentious matters straight including the confused polytheists of the surrounding areas. The Torah rises up a single banner for all of humanity upon turning to it's first page.

-Sab

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

..except that the Torah is derived from multiple human sources and is not divine in origin.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    sab - by what standard do you elevate the gods of the ancient semitic tribes to the creator as described by Roman orthodox christianity?

The Roman Orthodox Christian's base their beliefs off a Jewish Messiah who taught Jewish Law and they made attempt to gather his teachings together to further his message. Therefore they are born FROM the ancient semitic tribes as Christ was called "King of the Jews." Even in the prized Revelation at Patmos are "true Jews" mentioned.

9 I know your afflictions and your poverty—yet you are rich! I know about the slander of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.

So, according to Revelation, a staple of the Christian Greek Scriptures, there are Satanic Jews and Holy Jews and the Satanic ones are identified by their methods of removing the good people from their midst and creating an environment of evil.

Basically what I am saying is that Christianity reveres Judaism and therefore Genesis 1:1 is where a Christian starts, not John 1:1. Before the NT you should have a firm understanding of the OT.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    ..except that the Torah is derived from multiple human sources and is not divine in origin.

I just got done saying that the Word of God dwells within ALL people. Yes, you can push Him out which makes you evil, but the Body of Christ is taken from every tribe, nation, people and tongue. ALL Scripture comes from HUMAN sources and it's the HUMANS who are divine, not their books alone. We tend to get caught up in the BOOK and not the writers as children of God or Elohim the plural which means the God Family.

-Sab

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Just some examples:

(Proverbs 22:17-18):"Incline thine ear, and hear the words of the wise, And apply thine heart to my doctrine; For it is pleasant if thou keep them in thy belly, that they may be established together upon thy lips"

(Amenemope, ch. 1):"Give thine ear, and hear what I say, And apply thine heart to apprehend; It is good for thee to place them in thine heart, let them rest in the casket of thy belly; That they may act as a peg upon thy tongue" [49]

(Proverbs 22:22):"Rob not the poor, for he is poor, neither oppress (or crush) the lowly in the gate."

(Amenemope, ch. 2):"Beware of robbing the poor, and oppressing the afflicted." [49]

(Proverbs 22:24-5): "Do not befriend the man of anger, Nor go with a wrathful man, Lest thou learn his ways and take a snare for thy soul."

(Amenemope, ch. 10): "Associate not with a passionate man, Nor approach him for conversation; Leap not to cleave to such an one; That terror carry thee not away." [49]

(Proverbs 22:29):"[if you] You see a man quick in his work, before kings will he stand, before cravens, he will not stand."

(Amenemope, ch. 30):"A scribe who is skillful in his business findeth worthy to be a courtier" [49]

(Proverbs 23:1):"When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, Consider diligently what is before thee; And put a knife to thy throat, If thou be a man given to appetite. Be not desirous of his dainties, for they are breads of falsehood."

(Amenemope, ch. 23): "Eat not bread in the presence of a ruler, And lunge not forward(?) with thy mouth before a governor(?). When thou art replenished with that to which thou has no right, It is only a delight to thy spittle. Look upon the dish that is before thee, And let that (alone) supply thy need." [49] (see above)

(Proverbs 23:4-5):"Toil not to become rich, And cease from dishonest gain; For wealth maketh to itself wings, Like an eagle that flieth heavenwards"

(Amenemope, ch. 7):"Toil not after riches; If stolen goods are brought to thee, they remain not over night with thee. They have made themselves wings like geese. And have flown into the heavens." [49]

(Proverbs 14:7):"Speak not in the hearing of a fool, for he will despise the wisdom of thy words"

(Amenemope, ch. 21):"Empty not thine inmost soul to everyone, nor spoil (thereby) thine influence" [49]

(Proverbs 23:10): "Remove not the widows landmark; And enter not into the field of the fatherless."

(Amenemope, ch. 6): "Remove not the landmark from the bounds of the field...and violate not the widows boundary" [49]

(Proverbs 23:12):"Apply thine heart unto instruction and thine ears to the words of knowledge"

(Amenemope, ch. 1):"Give thine ears, hear the words that are said, give thine heart to interpret them." [49]

• sabastious
    sabastious

Q, you can't steal what is already yours. Your argument is fallacious.

-Sab

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Yahweh is the God of righteous war and is the masculine element of the Elohim model. However it's not JUST war that this Aspect of God represents, but also the coming together of certain armies. This denotes a purpose to a particular war as people are grouping for a cause, not just for violence and domination. Yahweh is a peacemaker and a peacekeeper. Is this not the traditional role of the man?

Yes, well the Soviet Union was also a peacemaker. In fact, so was the Roman Empire. We can look at colonialism as a peacemaker---as other countries set up arbitrary hierarchies among groups that may have fought more (no sense using valuable resources and losing cheap labor through those silly conflicts).

Enforced peace, by sheer power of will. We see what happens when that power is removed. So, no, I don't agree this is peacemaking. A god of war does not make peace, unless it is in god of war style---total domination. I see a common tactic is to redefine words. A purpose to war--grouping for the cause---therefore peacemaker.

Only in your mind, Sab, and I have learned that once it is there you will defend it to the bloody end, offering every answer to every possible question, something that no human can really do, therefore driven by your own idea as you tortuously and forcefully manipulate every fact to fit your idea.

Have fun!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter
    Yes, you can push Him out which makes you evil

LOL.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Gonna try not to poke that one with a stick.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

That's why you are such a sexy minx, NC, you are pure, unadulterated EVIL! My kind of gal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit