Does 2Thes 2:1-3 prove some of the disciples gave "false prophecies"?

by booker-t 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

So, are JWs prepared to also admit that their child molestation handling procedures are STILL wrong? Unless they completely reverse their policy and tell elders to call the police FIRST, BEFORE they call Watchtower Legal Department, they are more concerned about protecting pedophiles than protecting children. And unless they admit that their blood policy is a biblically corrupt misinterpretation of ancient dietary restrictions that has resulted in the untimely deaths of believers, they are still stubborn in their wickedness.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Here he tells me that Paul is "reproving" the flock for believing in false prophecies and some of them actually "printed" in letter form the day of the Lord is here.

My opinion is that there is a difference. Today as I understood it unless I unstood it wrongly, it was the faithful slave commissioned as a modern day Ezekiel in 1919 . Ezekiel's prophecy about Jerusalem had a specific time element. Likewise Christendom's day's were numbered and would end before the end of the 20th century.(The Nations Shall Know that I am Jehovah-How? WTB&TS 1971 Page 216)

This wasn't the flock coming up with something.

In the Watchtower April 1st 1972 magazine "They shall know that a prophet was among them" on page 200 it says talking of Ezekiel.

"Jehovah would confirm him as a prophet then by causing what Ezekiel prophesied to come true"

As Christendom is still here the modern day Ezekiel has had no such confirmation

• wasblind
    wasblind

" True prophets speak in the name of God

If any individuals or organizations claim to represent God but decline to use Gods name, and make it a practice to express their own opinions on matters, are they measuring up to this important qualification of a true prophet? "_______Reasoning from the scriptures book page 133

Let's break this down for the likes of Ethos and Booker-T

What organization claim to use God's name ? Jehovah Witnesses

What organization say the " mistaken prophecies " they made are not thier own , but from God"s word ? Jehovah's witness

Who are they refering to when they ask who measure up to this important qualification of a true prophet ? Jehovah's Witnesses

Let's break it down a little further

If Jehovah's Witnesses claim they measure up to a true prophet. why do they say this:

" Jehovah's witnesses do not claim to be inspired prophets , they have made mistakes."_____Reasoning from the Scriptures book page 136

Question: Aren't true prophets inspired ? After all In the Reasoning book you do make claim to

havin' all the qualifications of a " true prophet" don't you ?

Feel free to answer,

Bottom line: An uninspired prophet who speak in the name of God is a false prophet

I AIN'T NO LAWYER, BUT I DO REST MY CASE

• wasblind
    wasblind

Ethos?????

Where oh where are you tonight.

why did you leave me here all alone

I searched the world over and thought I found true love

you met another and POOF you were gone ________ HEE HAW

Don't leave me Ethos, I'LL be a better woman to ya

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey Ethos

Follow along wit me in the Reasoning from the Scriptures book

It's not apostate material , It's your mess

On the bottom of page 134 the WTS use Nathan the prophet to show

that Nathan made a mistake and corrected it. Just like Jehovah's Witnesses

BIG FAIL

" Jehovah did not reject Nathan for what he had said earlier but continued to use him because he humbly corrected it."________Reasoning from the Scriptures book page 134

What the WTS fail to realize is that Nathan never said Jehovah

sent him wit that message, as a matter of fact

Nathan was told that very night to " Slow your Roll " that wasn't what God wanted

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

In Acts 1:6, the disciples asked Jesus a question

In Acts 1:7, Jesus responded 'that's none of your business'

The WT hides behind Acts 1:6 claiming that the disciples had an "erroneous expectation"... So in the twisted minds of the charlatans that run the Tower, questions by 1st Century disciples = modern day WT false predictions ... therefore, if 1st Century discpiles can ask a question, the WT can make false predictions. WTF?

• wasblind
    wasblind

September 15, 2010 Watchtower , Paragraph 8 page 13

" Thus what is taught is not from men but from Jehovah "

Unlike the WTS Nathan never said what he told David was from Jehovah

• designs
    designs

'A good Christian, like a slave or soldier, asks no questions' Reverend Jerry Falwell, Founder of the Moral Majority.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

wasn't the point of that cited scripture is to NOT make any predictions, and then paint it as if it came from the apostles? Not a proof text to continue to make predictions/prophecy and then waive your arms up in the air when it isn't true, because "The apostles did it too".

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

You might try to help him see your viewpoint this way by helping him to understand that he Watchtower had no other choice but to admit their “mistake”. When you predict that the end will come in 1925 and it does not happen, what other choice do you have? You must admit you were wrong. Rutherford admitted after this debacle that he “made and ass of himself”.

The problem is he did not just make himself look bad. He brought ridicule and dishonor on God’s name. Here are some of the predictions he made just about 1925:

1922 "This chronology is not of man, but of God. Being of divine origin and

divinely corroborated, present-truth chronology stands in a class by itself,

absolutely and unqualifiedly correct...." (Watchtower, July 15, 1922 p. 217)

1923 "Our thought is, that 1925 is definitely settled by the Scriptures. As to

Noah, the Christian now has much more upon which to base his faith than Noah had

upon which to base his faith in a coming deluge." (Watchtower, p. 106, March 1, 1923)

1924 "The year 1925 is a date definitely and clearly marked in Scriptures, even

more clearly than that of 1914. (Watchtower 1924, p. 211)

Then by 1925 he starts hedging his bets by blaming Satan for what he previously said was “of God”

1925 "It is to be expected that Satan will try to inject into the minds of the

consecrated, the thought that 1925 should see an end to the work." (Watchtower,

Sept. 1925, p. 262)

In the scripture in question Paul was warning about this very thing. He said

“not to be quickly shaken from YOUR reason nor to be excited either through an inspired expression or through a verbal message or through a letter as though from us, to the effect that the day of Jehovah is here.”

Paul here is warning that there will be people who claim to be apostles (or who claim to speak for God) that will give “inspired expressions” or “verbal messages” that would say that “the day of Jehovah is here”. This is EXACTLY what the society has been doing.

Ask your brother to explain Deuteronomy 18:22. Let him know you are not simply being argumentative but that you sincerely feel that the society is guilty of exactly what is described here. The fact that they admit they were wrong means nothing at all. They had no choice but to admit it.

You could also ask him what he thinks about this quote from Awake!

"True, there have been those in times past who predicted an "end" to the world, even announcing a specific date. Yet nothing happened. The 'end' did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing? Missing from such people were God's truths and the evidence that He was using and guiding them.'' (Awake, Oct. 8, 1968)

You could also draw a comparison between Rutherford and Harold Camping. I think any Witness would admit that camping is a false prophet, if they admit that then how can they justify following Rutherford who was just as much of a false prophet as Camping.

If you really want to help him see TTATT you have to ask questions and teach him to really think. Most Witnesses have a good surface knowledge of “proof scriptures”. You have to go beyond that and get him to learn how to think. That is the hard part. I remember reading somewhere once a comparison between question marks and hooks. Use those hooks to good effect and you might have a 1 in 1000 chance of getting through to him.

If you argue a point and come across as bitter or angry to the WTS then you chances drop to 1 in a million. Help him to know you are sincere, you have sincere questions. Let him try to move you by feeling he is helping you. He has to come to his own conclusions, and even when he does there is no guarantee he will act on them. The cost for disagreeing with the WTS is very very high and only the strongest are willing to accept that price.

Good luck.

PS. The question about Jesus being a false prophet - I believe the transfiguration is how that is explained by the WTS. That is the only explanation I know of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit