Does 2Thes 2:1-3 prove some of the disciples gave "false prophecies"?

by booker-t 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• booker-t
    booker-t

I have mentioned a few times on this board that my JW's brother just will not let it go with me and continues to prove to me that Jesus disciples and other prophets in the Bible have given "false" prophecies" or "wrong expectations" concerning the end of the world. He feels that JW's should not be condemned for their many false predictions. As always the first thing he will tell me is that "JW's admit to their mistakes therefore we are not false prophets." He goes on to explain how JW's published all of their expectations concerning 1914, 1925, 1975 in the Proclaimers book. He even goes on to tell me all about Beth Sarim and how the WT has admitted to believing old testament prophets were to be resserrected in 1925. I have known about the three scriptures they use such as Luke 19:21, Acts 1:6 and now he showed me 2 Thes 2:1-3. Here he tells me that Paul is "reproving" the flock for believing in false prophecies and some of them actually "printed" in letter form the day of the Lord is here. My brother had a smile on his face at this point because he said "see booker the first century christians printed the day of the Lord was here in a letter" so he asked me the question were they false prophets? I had never seen this verse before and I have to admit I did not know how to answer him. When did JW's start using this verse to excuse their false prophecies? My brother made a very good point when he told me that apostates, ex-jws, and born agains always condemn JW's but look the other way when born again christians or biblical prophets do the exact same thing JW's did. Jesus told his disciples that none of them would die before he came again but all of them died. I sometimes believe that Jesus thought the end was going to happen in his lifetime. He did not know the day and hour. So by the same standard are we to believe Jesus is a false prophet? JW's said millions now will never die. But all of those millions Rutherford told have died. This is the same thing Jesus did but born agains and ex-jws will argue you down and say Jesus did not give a false prophecy. There appears to be a "double standard" when it comes to JW's and born agains.

• Ethos
    Ethos

The truth about the truth about the truth.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

He feels that JW's should not be condemned for their many false predictions.

In spite of the fact that the WTS. used calculating false prophecies to commercialize and proliferated their own published goods.

How does he assume the bible's teachings regarding false prophets ?

if one is to respectfully abide by those teachings and obey what Jesus himself instructed true followers to do. ?

Selling a book or otherwise.

If the WTS. and its leaders masked themselves as true bible interpreters but were really cultivating their own power and wealth

in disguise, then there is a serious real problem at hand.

• Ding
    Ding

Some unnamed people in those days were making false claims.

The warning in 2 Thessalonians is not to believe them.

How does that exonerate the WTS for their many false prophecies?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

*** NWT 2 Thess 2:1-3 ***

However, brothers, respecting the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we request of YOU 2 not to be quickly shaken from YOUR reason nor to be excited either through an inspired expression or through a verbal message or through a letter as though from us, to the effect that the day of Jehovah is here. 3 Let no one seduce YOU in any manner, because it will not come unless the apostasy comes first and the man of lawlessness gets revealed, the son of destruction.

*** NIV 2 Thess 2:1-3 ***

Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness [a] is revealed, the man doomed to destruction.

Please note that the "teaching" or "letter" was allegedly (NIV) from Paul (and whoever he is referring to as "US"). Or as the NWT states, "AS THOUGH FROM US". This would mean that the teaching or statement concerning the Lord's Day WAS NOT REALLY from Paul & his cohorts.

This is not the same as all of the false prophecies concerning the Lord's Day as published in WTS literature, as it is CLEARLY from the WTS. Nothing alleged about it. They published it. Are they now saying that SOMEONE ELSE publsihed it and BLAMED IT ON THEM???

Sorry WTS, it just don't fit.

Doc

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Trying to find open honesty in religious charlatans is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

They are constantly pointing their finger at other religious organizations but then when it comes to investigating

and evaluating themselves and their own activities they are about as dishonest as smiling politician.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I sometimes believe that Jesus thought the end was going to happen in his lifetime. He did not know the day or the hour. So by the same standard are we to believe Jesus is a false prophet?________Booker T

Lord have mercy Jesus PLEASE !!!!!! Jus when I thought I heard it ALL

Luke 19:11 show where the disciples " imagined " the kingdom would appear

Acts 1:6 shows were they " questioned " Jesus about the kingdom.

The bible warns of false prophets and gives a distinct description of such

Please show us a comparison of Hananiah the false prophet vs. the disciples of Jesus Christ

Again, show us where the disciples taught the things they imagine or questioned

that needed to be adjusted wit new light cuz the holy spirit guided them wrong

Acts 1:8 Jesus tells his disciples they would be guided by holy spirit. are you sayin'

the holy spirit guided them wrong????

Another thing, Jesus was said to be perfect, He was the only one who could pay the ransom

how could this perfect being be false ?????

• wasblind
    wasblind

JW's admitt to their mistakes therefore they are not false prophets ___________Booker T

That's jus' like sayin' The boy who cried wolf may have lied, but he ain't a liar

show me where the bible give exceptions on a false prophecy

• Fernando
    Fernando

A false prophet does not know that prophesies are not predictions but messages - and that prophets are not foretellers but messengers (largely of the "unabridged gospel" message).

It is no accident that the "good news" according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms is not in the hearts or on the lips of those claiming to be "publishers of the good news".

(More than half the NWTs roughly 152 references to "good news" are by Paul!)

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

I'm with Ding... Paul heard that some folks were claiming that the day of the Lord had come and warned (under inspiration, I might add) not to be thrown off by them. I'm kinda thinking this was an affirmation to Luke 21:8 and Matt 24:36. He was admonishing them.

The letters circulating were not inspired, but Paul's words were. Kinda like today, the WTS info is not inspired, but Paul's warning was under divine inspiration. I don't see where the text allows for permission to ball this up - from 1st century letter writing Christians to WTS writers today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit