HELP from Pagans please, X-mas gift ideas

by nuthouse escapee 41 Replies latest jw friends

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Last year hubby & I hosted X-mas at our place. This year our pagan friends are hosting Yule/X-mas. They are into Shamanism and I would really like to be able to give them something special that relates to their beliefs.

All suggestions would be very much appreciated. Have no idea where to even shop to buy something appropriate. I live in Southern Ontario, just 40 km west of Toronto. HELP!

Thanks, Leslie

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I know they value all living things, Leslie. How about a plant or small tree for their garden.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Sage bundles and an abalone shell bowl might be nice. Maybe some shamanic music. You could ask them what they like or just check out some samples and buy something you like for them ( http://www.fjordstone.com/shamanicmusicstore/index.html ).

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Thanks Xanthippe, a plant is a great idea

Heaven, I have checked the net for stores but all I can seem to find are websites that are for ordering stuff online. I would rather go to a store in person and SEE the items up close and personal. If you know of any stores in the Brampton, Mississauga, Burlington, Oakville, or Milton area please let me know. Shamanistic music, now I never even thought of that. Thx. for the link.

I know the Yule log is also something that one is to receive, so I may have to get my hubby to go into the woods out back and get one to give them. I want to give something that has special meaning for them.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I'd go with the plant. Or...and this might be good...a beautiful crystal or interesting mineral.

I'm sure you'll have a New Age shop somewhere around, and it will be full of ideas, and bound to have rocks or crystals or other minerals too. Candles.

Fragrant incense sticks or granules too.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Chariklo, thanks for the suggestions. I'm so dense, don't know why I didn't think of looking for a new age shop. duh. I will try another search using new age. I saw somewhere that beeswax candles are the candle of choice. Not sure about what particular INCENSE STICKS to get. Thx again- Leslie-

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

College or university towns should have several. The idea of a small tree is good.

There is a Mennonite store near me, Called One Thousand Villages. It has many world products. They guarantee they do not exploit the crafters. This is the Mennonite Bible belt, which makes me uncomfortable, but the ambiance is very warm and welcoming.

World music on iTunes may be an idea.

There is a huge market, primarily in cities and schools, for this sort of thing. I am Anglican and purchase many items.

A singing prayer bowl from Tibet is a lovely item. It is hard to learn to make it sing.

These stores are very relaxing and promote good values compared to overly commercial stores. Macy's they are not.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

BOTR, thx for the suggestions, I never considered a mennonite store, but they would have gifts of a more natural and less commercial nature. We have Mennonite places not far from where I live. Guelph Ontario is not too far from me and is a University town so I could check there.

Thanks so much everyone for all the helpful suggestions. I don't know why I didn't think of any of these things myself. Brain block I guess. lol -Leslie-

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Oompa's cat

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

There is a Mennonite store near me, Called One Thousand Villages. It has many world products. They guarantee they do not exploit the crafters. This is the Mennonite Bible belt, which makes me uncomfortable, but the ambiance is very warm and welcoming.

I love One Thousand Villages. Glad you brought it up. I have one about 1.5 hours away, and have been trying to think of a place to find unusual gifts. As to the gift, I can call my Wiccan friend tomorrow and see what she says. It's not the same thing, but she knows a great deal about non-Christian religions---Christian religions too---but she steers clear. I know she and a friend recently opened a Pagan center, where many things happen, but they also have a small shop. So she knows where the merchandise is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit