I Used To Hate Gays!

by DubR 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

DubR, your candid honesty is very refreshing! I'm glad that you came to realize that (most) Gay people are decent, have good hearts, and are basically like everyone else. I'm Gay, and was raised in the Org. by two very homophobic parents who literally compared me to a murderer or rapist when they found out that I was Gay. Growing up, I was taught to hate myself, and that same hate stuck with me for many years in the form of self abuse (the bad kind, not the good kind-lol). After leaving the Org. it took years of positive self affirmation to get to the point of not wanting to damage myself even though I still suffer the occasional relapse. It appears that many Jehovah's Witnesses have more hate in their hearts than they do love, and once a person leaves, it often takes years to deprogram all of the negativity.

I'm sorry that you did not have a chance to get to know your Step Brother before he died. It must be hard to lose a sibling that way. I've lost an Uncle and several friends to AIDS, but to lose a Brother like you did must have been really difficult for you, and the teasing you endured from your Sister probably made you feel worse.

In regards to Atheists being more accepting than Christians, I guess it all depends. There are people who call themselves Christian, yet they have a lot of hate within themselves. On the other hand, there are Christians who base their feelings and beliefs on love. The same can be said for Atheists. There are some really good, loving, and empathetic Atheists, yet there are some that are complete ying-yangs. I guess it all depends on the person and what is in their hearts. I went from "Christian" JW to Agnostic to Atheist and now am back to acknowledging a higher power in the Universe, but, other than my time with the JW's, I don't feel that my personal viewpoints have been affected by my beliefs in that higher power as compared to believing in none at all. I hope that makes sense...

Take care,

CJ

• maisha
    maisha

I ALWAYS WONDERED AS A JW

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I CAN SHOW LOVE AND FORGIVNESS MORE THAN GOD JEHOVAH DOES?

HOW IS IT THAT I HAVE MORE ABILITY TO TOLLERATE MEN AND NOT WANT TO KILL THEM AS COMPARED TO GOD JEHOVAH.

ARE GODS RIGHTEOUS STANDARDS LESS THEN MINE?

We are told that god gave us freedom of mind, freedom of choice - but - we can nly then do what we are told and with such a heavy load of burdon, where is the freedom that was given to adam?.

The logic and reason is simply not there.

it doesnt make sense.

• irondork
    irondork

It's not unusual for young GLB kids to hate gays, especially those growing up in a "christian" atmosphere. I knew I was gay from a very early age so I poured on the hate a little heavy just to make sure people didn't suspect me of being gay. Those were some iron-clad reasonings as a young teen.

Also, I noticed how gays were portrayed in the news, in books and movies and I knew I wasn't a drag queen or a sex-crazed leather freak or a child molester or a feminine, limp-wristed wierdo... I had no real reason to relate in with what I thought gay people were. I only knew in 3rd grade I wanted to have sleep overs with Bart Andrews in the same bed.

I have sometimes wondered who were the worst proponents of gay hate - other gays driven by the fear of exposure or straight people driven by whatever drove them?

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Learning to value yourself after a life of being taught to hate yourself/nature is a long process isn't CJ?

I'm glad you are around as I always value what you have to say in your posts.

Hoab x

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

HI irondork, I too knew I was attracted to men & masculinity at a very young age, & as you I didn't identify with all the stereotypes in films or TV.

It was a time I would not like to go through again.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Many closeted gays are very homophobic. ;)

But there aren't any gay people in the closet in jehoblas blorganization...

None.

Zero....

Zilch.

shamus100

Please shamus100, explain that with few details.

Scott77

• Scott77
    Scott77

For centuries, LGBT members have been the target of homophobics. In muslem countries, its even worse.Its very sickening. Sex matters are private issues. Its non of other's business. Does anyone know that two Gove rning Body members of Jehovah's Witnesses were closet G ay. See more links below for full discussion on this very important but previously hidden sordid details of Ga y GBs

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/229911/1/Youtube-Video-of-Watchtower-Governing-Body-of-Jehovahs-Witnesses-who-were-Homosexuals

If you go to jails or prison, most convicts are not LGBT members. They are straight individuals

Scott77

• whathappened
    whathappened

I never hated gays or people of other races at all. Even being raised a JW, I always thought it was unfair for the Bible to condemn homosexuality. People don't choose to become gay, they just are.

I have a beloved uncle who is gay and he is really cool to hang out with, even though he's in his 70's now. He is not strung out like his JW sister (my mother) was.

JW's argue that God's standards are higher than ours, and that is what justifies Armageddon and gays getting destroyed. God is who made them, so he should just accept them for who they are.

• James Brown
    James Brown

When you are an atheist, you are luke warm.

When you are a Christian you hate what is not approved.

And when you are a sinner you are the not approved, or unforgiven.

Atheist are on the sidelines they are observers of the greatest show on earth.

I'm almost an atheist, I call myself agnostic. By some definitions I know I am atheist.

I believe in a higher power but I cant put it in a box or describe or defend it very well.

So I settle with agnostic.

• shamus100
    shamus100

How true, LOL!

Also, I noticed how gays were portrayed in the news, in books and movies and I knew I wasn't a drag queen or a sex-crazed leather freak or a child molester or a feminine, limp-wristed wierdo... I had no real reason to relate in with what I thought gay people were.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit