Does Your Past As A JW Affect Your Enjoyment Of The Holidays?

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

I LOVE the holidays-especially Christmas! I enjoy the time with my family and making memories and traditions.

• Mum
    Mum

By American standards, we were very poor when I was a child. I grew up in the heart of Appalachia. The holidays were a bright spot in the dull, grey poverty. No one in my family was a JW back then. Lots of relatives came to our house and the "old folks" would sit up late telling funny stories about their childhood years. The kids had a pallet on the floor and would stay awake half the night with anticipation. Our families sacrificed and saved to ensure that we had a happy Christmas with store-bought gifts.

When I was 5 years old, my sister and I got a tiny wooden table and chairs and newborn baby dolls. My grandfather took us out to look for Santa, as he had "heard" Santa had been seen in the area. We didn't see Santa, but when we got back to our 3-room log cabin with no plumbing, he had been there!

JW's need some fantasy in their lives, especially the children.

My daughter grew up as a JW. She goes overboard for holidays, as if to make up for lost time. My granddaughter has never been involved with JW's, so she takes it all for granted. Her parents are very generous at birthdays and Christmas. She has had a party of some kind for every birthday.

We love the holidays and take no part in the silly speculation as to whether they are "pagan." Almost everything is pagan. So we can enjoy life as happy pagans instead of miserable as faux Christians.

Regards,

SandraC

• ziddina
    ziddina

I love the holidays!!!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/entertainment/201471/1/Halloween-at-Ziddys-House

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/202766/6/I-love-Christmas-too

Oh, and what "mum" said....

"....We love the holidays and take no part in the silly speculation as to whether they are "pagan." Almost everything is pagan. So we can enjoy life as happy pagans instead of miserable as faux Christians."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit