Does Your Past As A JW Affect Your Enjoyment Of The Holidays?

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

My daughter who's in her 30's, just LOVES the holidays and birthdays! I even love giving XMas presents and birthday gifts. And I think I like it more than some "worldly" people. They often don't care to get into the spirit.

Have you noticed that having been a Witness has affected your views of holidays, either pro or con???

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

I'm still a JW, and I absolutely detest the holidays. Hate Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentines day, etc., all that crap. When the day comes that I'm not a JW, I'll still hate all that nonsense. There's a nativity scene outside of the office building I work in and to be honest with you, I'd love to take a leak on it in public. But if holidays make other people happy, than I'm happy for them. It's kinda ok with me when people are generally in a good mood kinda like when the home team wins people aren't so grumpy in this city. Plus I love seeing ex-JWs enjoying their lives, it makes me smile when I log on here and see people celebrating holidays and enjoying life. It's nice knowing that people have conquered the WT's influence in their lives.

• undercover
    undercover

I like the xmas spirit, the parties, the music, the lights, the kid's anticipation of Santa. I hate the sales pitches, the xmas commercials starting in September, Black Friday, holiday traffic.

Thanksgiving is nothing special, except a day off work watching football.

Halloween is my favorite. And I look forward to it most years, even at my age.

I pay no attention to the Hallmark holidays - birthdays, mothers/fathers/grandparents day, Valentine's Day. I never eat out on V-day, too many young, ignorant couples clogging up the restaurants.

I used to enjoy St. Patrick's day but too many people just get drunk for getting drunk sake. I avoid that. Same with New Years. I avoid all "amateur night" holidays... when people who don't go out much, or drink much, go out and over do it.

I think that growing up a JW and not having any of the holiday traditions gave me a more cynical look on holidays, even after leaving the faith. Since it doesn't mean much to me, I take what parts I like, ignore and avoid the parts that irritate me. And I'm glad... I'm not caught up in the trap of having to buy gifts for a bunch of people I don't really care that much about. I don't have to show up at someone's house once a year to eat food I don't particularly like to begin with (turkey, dressing, etc). I don't have to buy flowers on V-day. I don't have to buy jewelry on b-days. It is a freedom from the commercialization of it that I appreciate.

• minimus
    minimus

When I talk to people who don't like the holidays, I ask them if they were ever Jehovah's Witnesses.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I hated the holidays before I was a dub. And I still do. Baah humbug

• undercover
    undercover

When I talk to people who don't like the holidays, I ask them if they were ever Jehovah's Witnesses.

Bah Humbug!

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

So much of what makes these holiday special is tradition. If you spent your childhood as a JW you have no tradition surrounding the holidays.

I did a half and half - Dad dragged us into the cult when I was 12, so I have some memories of Christmases past. In the past 8 years since I left I haven't had anybody to celebrate with, so big fat hairy deal. However, I've recently made contact with my extended family, so I can start building those holiday memories.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    I think that growing up a JW and not having any of the holiday traditions gave me a more cynical look on holidays, even after leaving the faith.

I wonder if a poll were done on people who were ex-JWs, faders, or whatever, would it show that a disproportionate amount tend to be cynical.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Although growing up a Dub, my father didn't get baptized till I was in 20 years old, so the mates with unbelieving spouses were admonished to still prepare the holiday meals for hubby, plus the fact that my folks were quite social, I soooooo many godbrothers and sisters, that I was never without presents for the Holidays, so I'm glad I have those memories, alaong with Thanksgiving and Easter.

But to me, Xmas stopped being really fun when you're too old for toys and just get a scarf and mittens set, or a nightgown with a matching robe.

Now I enjoy the holidiays always cook something special, sometimes have a few(as in 2 or ) folks over or visit, it's good to have memories of good times during the holidays.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

I had one hell of a Thanksgiving already, to think I am going to stuff my fat ass Thursday again!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit