They only care about themselves......

by dubstepped 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

There are several factors that contribute to dubs not getting involved in relief work like this:

• "Rely on Jehovah!" It was posted here that in the recent WT broadcast a UBM decided to study because he prayed to jehovah and the prayer was answered... finding a leak at his job. So if jehovah would help this guy find a leak, certainly he would help a JW praying to find their child buried under a collapsed building... Right?
    • They are programmed that if assistance needs to be organized, WT will do it. Years ago when hurricanes went through the US, RBCs got very involved. That decreased as the years passed, until it seems that JW relief work is just organized as a photo op for WT literatrash and videos. If WT Corp said the word, putting emphasis on relief work instead of just the futile preaching works, I suspect that a lot of dubs would step up. But with GB 2.0, that isn't going to happen.
    • Any JW that would be inclined to get involved in nonWT relief work will get redirected to WT building projects, meeting involvement, and preaching. And JWs hear things like "worldly charities are all corrupt and the work and money doesn't go where it's really needed."
    • Doctors Without Borders and Engineers Without Borders? How many JWs are doctors and engineers in order to get involved in this kind of relief work? In WTland, becoming a doctor to save lives is a satanic waste of time. But becoming a pioneer, working for minimum wage, and spending hours every day standing by a litteratrash cart is the most important work the GB can think of.
    • And fundamental to the JW worldview, bad news is excellent news! WT doesn't want the world to become a better place. They don't want to see lives saves, people evacuated from disasters, buildings repaired, etc. WT thrives on bad news... the worse the better. They want to see people dying in natural disasters, people helpless and abandoned, buildings crumbling, etc. because things like that tell them that their panda-petting paradise is getting closer.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    DHOH, charity to help the suffering is just TOO WORLDLY!!! I mean that's shocking!!! You are being like everyone in the world. We are NOT going to give our precious money to HELP people, what are you thinking??? Of course we didn't like your link!! And get real, dont you know what you are doing is like pouring Dixie cups of water onto the sun??? This whole system is going DOWN, if you care about people REALLY, you need to do the real lifesaving work of placing literature.
  • Ding
    Ding
    Meanwhile, religious groups that the WT despises send in all sorts of aid.
  • azor
    azor

I recently participated in a 5K drive for Ronald McDonald house charities that help children and their families with cancer. Providing a place to stay near hospitals while children are in the hospital and camps that let kids be kids.

The only group that didn't contribute were my witness family and so called friends.

My son has leukemia and they all know him personally. Most of the people that contributed have not met him.

You are right most JW's have the humanity beaten out of them.

• PokerPlayerPhil
    PokerPlayerPhil

I think those who worked at Bethel would know(have deeper insights since they were at center of this spider) about this subject because on a local level we can tell you that all we saw was "Nothing when a natural disaster hit our area!"

Katrina I heard they only helped the Witnesses and asked the Witness to give back any insurance or FEMA monies and some had to sign a piece of paper promising to return any assets the Government gave them!

When one of the big Hurricanes hit Florida I heard about Witnesses leaving from the West to make lots of money on that disaster. No mention of helping, all the Witnesses that followed one group got screwed over and had to steal from this JW Elder Contractor because they refused to pay his employees!

• zeb
    zeb

My one charity is medicins san frontiers. (doctors without borders).

I have heard of this signing over insurance money thing before does anyone have any firm information on that.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    I love doctors without borders!! People who truly go to the worst crisis areas in the world (Ebola?) when the human instinct is to 'run! Run away!'
  • fiddler
    fiddler

JWs appease their minds by thinking 'Oh, the end is SO close and all those 5,000 dead will now have a chance at resurrection'

done!

No more needs to be said or done.

jehovah will fix it.

But what about these? I remember these as a JW child and the thinking was the same

-- Feb. 29, 1960: Southwest Atlantic coast in Morocco; magnitude 5.7; some 12,000 killed, town of Agadir destroyed.

-- Sept. 16, 1978: Northeast Iran; magnitude 7.7; 25,000 killed.

-- July 28, 1976: Tangshan, China; magnitude 7.8-8.2; 240,000 killed.

-- Feb. 4, 1976: Guatemala; magnitude 7.5; 22,778 killed.

There were others as well and JWs mostly just watched the news and said the same as they are saying now and doing virtually nothing. (After all, the JW money is tied up in lawsuits right now....)

just a thought....

(Quoting from James 2:16)

The relation between faith and action

14-18a Now what use is it, my brothers, for a man to say he “has faith” if his actions do not correspond with it? Could that sort of faith save anyone’s soul? If a fellow man or woman has no clothes to wear and nothing to eat, and one of you say, “Good luck to you I hope you’ll keep warm and find enough to eat”, and yet give them nothing to meet their physical needs, what on earth is the good of that? Yet that is exactly what a bare faith without a corresponding life is like—useless and dead. If we only “have faith” a man could easily challenge us by saying, “you say that you have faith and I have merely good actions. Well, all you can do is to show me a faith without corresponding actions, but I can show you by my actions that I have faith as well.”

Nuff said!

• fiddler
    fiddler

Just one more thought...

my last student today is from the region that was hit. She told me that her family is safe although they've lost much. She also told me of so much love and bravery that occurred...I can't recount the stories with accuracy but suffice it to say that there was much love and self sacrifice from young and old. Humanity is not the evil wicked thing JWs always pound on. There is so much goodness also.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander
    Any paging thru any 1980's WT Bound Volume set (especially early 80's) will give you a glimpse into the WT rank-n-file psyche. It's filled with images of doom and gloom, Great Tribulation, Armageddon, destruction, children falling into cracks in the earth, wretched clergyman, etc etc. They actually look forward to and encourage this stuff. To them, it is another "sign of the end times". After all, it is an End-Times Apocolyptic CULT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit