Off-topic: hand shaking

by Libelle 25 Replies latest jw friends

• pontoon
    pontoon

I also agree with the germ thing and shaking hands. Fist "bump" makes much more sense. Worse than shaking hands is passing that germ-infected microphone around. Hudson Valley NY

• prologos
    prologos

when I have a cold and somebody proffers his/her hand I grab - slide- up higher on the wrist, and get a reciprocal wristgrap. The queen always puts her hand forward first. I know from beeing a recipiant that sexual messages of intend and need are hidden in handshakes, so I take a dim view of males eager to get any physical contact with the ladies in my life. old and wise. blessings. ps. I got a handshake once from a sister? at an assembly in Thailand that a book could be written about. (the handshake)

• jemba
    jemba

There was a Bro in South Australia that wouldnt shake hands with anyone.... apparently he has researched it and found it to be of pagan origin, lol. Bloody drama queen JWs. I was always embarrased to be around them fanatical freaks.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

We had a brother who was of the anointed who wouldn't shake hands, but it was just because he was elderly and trying to avoid germs. He would shake your thumb instead. This was always fun to watch when it happened to someone for the first time.

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

I've never been comfortable with hand shaking, to paraphrase Sheldon Cooper from The Big bang Theory it just seemed like "a lot of unneccesary touching". In the UK, or at least my part, it seems to have died out. The only place it seems to proliferate is at the Kingdom Hall, or amongst dubs at large. Handshaking may be the acceptable social convention at the KH, but it surprised me when I first went and made me recoil a bit (not the only thing, but the pattern was set early on). Subsequently I made sure I always had my hands full with bag, books, coat or whatever when I went in and so dodged the ritual.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

In the business world, always and without hesitation. Back in the late 80's, women were starting to move into management in the computer world on the technical side. Since my company dealt in repairs, I started meeting more and more Service mgrs, IT mgrs, production mgrs, etc who are women. I noted a chip on a few shoulders but a firm handshake usually broke through it.

My Father, lived in TX, always told me to look someone straight in the eye, a firm hand shake, and it's always no sir, yes sir, no mam' or yes mam'. People who can't do that you can't trust according to him

• blondie
  • kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

It's a practice with pagan roots and is not done by any honest hearted lover of Jehovah. Jehovah's people greet with a scriptural sanctioned kiss.

1 Thessalonians 5:26 Greet all the brethren with a holy kiss.

Watchtower Jehovah's Witnesses men kiss 1 Thessalonians 5:26 Greet all the brethren with a holy kiss.

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

I think hand shaking is good, but it is becoming less common as the age of eloquence erodes into oblivion. Having said that, Masonic handshakes are lame and ridiculous.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

I stopped shaking hands after attending a business meeting where a Sales Manager gave a 30 minute lecture about how important is is to give a firm handshake and not a limp fish handshake.

I imagined all these idiot salesmen crushing eachothers hands in an attempt to show how friendly they were. (and that IS what they do!)

Brainwashed.

If you have also attended one of these meetings please keep your slimy salesman super firm BS handshake away from me.

Thank you!

abe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit