It's the holidays! You aren't a JW, but are you still a killjoy?

by JimmyPage 17 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would rather simply enjoy what Christmas was originally supposed to be, and that is a pagan festival honoring the sun. It is supposed to be fun and joyous, along with a measure of stress that is necessarily associated with preparation. There are so many correct ways to celebrate Christmas that it is beyond judging anyone for "getting it wrong".

Even if you are worried about screwing something up, try anyways. Chances are, if you just get a Christmas tree and decorate it cold, it will be wimpy. You are probably going to underestimate the number of lights and ornaments needed to properly decorate it. You are probably also going to get it to turn out sloppy, unbalanced, and out of sync with decorations elsewhere in the room. You only need worry about basic safety at first--no letting a real tree dry out (this is the most important rule, since a dry tree is much easier to set on fire than a well watered tree), no using open flames on your tree, use miniature or LED lights that burn cool, reading the safety directions on the light string box, and not placing glass ornaments where they can get busted and become a hazard.

Sure, it looks nothing like those professional displays you probably seen advertised. But, neither do most stores these days--I have seen so many store displays looking wimpy as of recent years. Also, as this is your first attempt, try to log what went wrong. Did the tree look skimpy on lighting? Did it look unbalanced? What about the ornaments? Was it out of sync with other decorations? You are going to need to keep a log on this, buying more ornaments you see fit that would fix the problems. Note how many lights you put up this year--if they look wimpy, you might double or triple the number. Usually, people start with 500-600 miniature lights on a 2 meter tree. Generally, "too many" undersized lights is better than larger but fewer lights on your tree.

Some shortcuts can be found looking at YouTube videos. There are many videos there on setting up your tree, and you can incorporate some or all of what you see there. Generally, you will need at least double the number of ornaments you think you need if this is your first time, and it will still look wimpy. The pros work in lights all the way to the center of the tree, and they can use huge numbers of undersized lights (as many as 80 boxes on a 2 1/2 meter tree). They work lights out and back along each branch, and each green along the branch, to do this. They are able to place as many as 400 or 500 ornaments on that tree, or more, placing some in the middle of the tree (use the plain ones near the middle and the fancy ones outside). And use LEDs--though they are more expensive, they are less prone to blowing fuses and giving you your $500 light bill.

It matters not whether you keep it simple or go all out. Better to gather the gifts during the year, when you can pay as you go instead of running up a whopper of a credit card bill. You might keep it simple, or you might decide to splurge. The same with the Christmas cards and music. Some will skip the Christmas carols, while others will play them. Some will enjoy the food--the only thing I give a Bah! Humbug! to is drink driving. Many like their decorations simple and will use fewer but bigger lights on the tree along with fewer ornaments. Others go ballistic with decorating everything.

And, some will leave Jesus out of the holiday while others will make Jesus the centerpiece of it. That is the nice thing about Christmas--no "one size fits all". If you like the religious aspect, you will probably head to church and have more Jesus type decorations. If you are atheist, Satanist, or simply don't go big with Jesus, your Christmas tree will probably be more Santa themed, winter themed, or simply display the joyful colors. You might spend more time opening Christmas presents, cooking and eating, and having fun than thinking about Jesus. Others will simply enjoy their families and a little peace and quiet for a change. As before, the only thing I give a big fat Bah! Humbug! to, besides the witlesses knocking on doors holding up children's present opening time, is drink driving.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I think we where bred to find fault with any and everything non WT Org it feeds ego and makes you feel more knowledgable and better than others.
    That mentality is hard to break.

Please, do a thread about this.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

I dont subscribe to the whole competition of christmas - its ridiculous - one of my facebook friends today is bragging how she has already spent over £300 on her 6 month old baby and hasnt finished yet. - thats the second post like it today. -

dont get me wrong, I love christmas, but a lot of it is trying to make money from you, - i think if you want to do it, do it your way, its not a big contest about what you bought your kids. - I have a daughter turning 1 on Jan 3rd - it will be her first Christmas - theres no way I will be spending that on her - she will never remember and if kids have millions of toys they break them all and become spoiled and bratty. - however, I know a lot will go on food, and travel and we will spend loads of time together and blame my son for eating all the chocolate off the tree, - I love the holidays, but this year we dont have a rook of cash and I refuse to feel pressured into spending a fortune we dont have so it will be about family and love and the excitement of a child, those are the important things x x

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JP:

Nope, I like the holidays. Even though they are commercialized, as some have pointed out, they were occasions I got together with family and relatives. I wasn't raised a JW, so I have fond memories that even the JW religion couldn't take away!

I always loved Christmas and the lights and colors and the smell of evergreens and good cooking! One of the first things I did when I began my "fade" towards the end of 2000 was to mend fences with relatives the accursed religion tried to separate me from.

It was a great feeling to send out Christmas Holiday cards to everybody and was the first step in my journey out of that morass of misery known as the JW religion.

• blondie
    blondie

I love sending cards...troubled mind is organizing that for JWN so contact her.

Secret Santa do we have someone committed to that yet? I've done for several years but would like someone to have a chance.

Under $15 US

Secret Santa Wish List

Match up santas and receivers

Usually only 30 people total.

Time is ticking for those overseas.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I'm so glad to be free of the restraints that I'll celebrate anything. Let's celebrate Friday!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I agree with WTWizard: I would rather simply enjoy what Christmas was originally supposed to be, and that is a pagan festival honoring the sun. It is supposed to be fun and joyous, along with a measure of stress that is necessarily associated with preparation. There are so many correct ways to celebrate Christmas that it is beyond judging anyone for "getting it wrong".

I posted this elsewhere, it fits well here:

Despite my total non-affiliation with all things religious whatsoever, my family chooses to share gifts at Christmas, so I do the same. Here's a quote to help any of you through any debates about sharing in any celebrations you don't believe in:

If someone else celebrates something different than you, celebrate their joy in living, however it's expressed.
    Find it within and celebrate it. Celebrate all expressions of joy however they manifest. Even if the celebration has no meaning to you at all-- just another day. Another day is the most beautiful of miracles. Celebrate every minute of it however you feel called to, and allow and rejoice in others however they feel called to celebrate theirs.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

That's beautiful, OTWO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit