How to handle it when a JW gives you "counsel" about some stupid crap

by Terry 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TERRY: Wow, that all seems like too much effort now. Maybe back in the day I might have employed a few of those points. Frankly, I would have no tolerance for any of this now and if somebody came up to me and said how "offended" they were at something I said. I might say something unkind like "Good. I hope you stay offended forever". Who has any patience for emotional blackmail or control tactics? It's just as well I am away from those overly-sensitive, manipulative idiots.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

You are a clever devious person, aren't you? It's all what I call aikido of the mind. Let them throw it at you, smoothly catch it and throw it back.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

There's definately one (ex-)elder I remember who'd be damn near apoplectic about this conversation.

I picture him with the big vein in the middle of his forehead throbbing as he forced a smile...

• Listener
    Listener

You may not be a magician Terry but you sure know the tricks of the trade.

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

Now do the disappering act! no more schools for fools getting torched for stupid krap... You feel so much better.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Psalm 119:165 - Abundant peace belongs to those loving your law, / And for them there is no stumbling block.

Apparently, anyone easily stumbled is lacking in love for Jehovah's law.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I have a better solution: drop your guts and walk out of the room in silence.

• Terry
    Terry

Consider this another way...

If we have the facts and reality on OUR side we are--from the get go--unbeatable!

If you are unassailable in your position it is a very easy matter to deal with a critic. Why? No credibility!

The issues of "control" don't come from asking for excellence. The issues of control come from bullying authority.

How do you bully rather than persuade IF you have the facts on your side? Why would you?

Remember those old bumper stickers that said WWJD? (What would Jesus do?)

The elders in the Kingdom Hall substitute Governing Body: WWGBD?

Why kick Jesus out?

Interestingly, Jesus never shrunk from saying or doing anything that stumbled people.

Remember when Jesus said the shocking "Only those who eat my flesh and drink my blood will enter the kingdom of heaven"?

He deliberately worded his statement in a way that caused people to walk away.

W'sup wit dat?

You see? An elder would have to take Jesus aside and lecture him. Pretty silly stuff!!

The "stumbling" is Paul's inner Pharisee bubbling to the surface :)

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

its when elders wives think they have the right to do it and they are your age... I remember that... being pulled aside for a knee length skirt. - it wasnt ok in yon backwoods country. i remember on other occasions people being 'dragged into the back' quite verbally - 'second school... NOW'

lol.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I was taught this as an IBM consultant engineer years ago - when a customers faces you with the truly absurd or ludicrous - simply say:

"THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT" - Smile nicely, and then quietly walk away from it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit