Why do the Jehovah's Witnesses accept the authenticity of "The Book of Daniel" but not that of Enoch's?

by I_love_Jeff 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

marked

• ziddina
    ziddina

[sorry to tug this slightly off-topic... ]

"Thank god you posted this clarification before bedtime. Thank you, zid.

whoops! I already said aloha...."

Well, you could always start a "goodbye" thread and then we'd throw you a party - well, some of us, at any rate...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Okay, back on topic...

I haven't read the book yet - but in skimming that link I provided, it appeared that the Book of Enoch was trying to encompas the entire Old Testament in one book.

It sorta made me dizzy.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Glander

that made my day LOL

smiddy

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

The Book of Enoch is far far far too complicated - it's worse than Revelations with all it's symbolism. I don't think any christian religion accepts the book of Enoch. If it wasn't included in the original 66 books many don't consider other writings.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

They don't accept the book of Daniel, per se. They accept the Protestant Bible Canon. They generally have no idea why. As a JW, I barely knew that there were other Bible Canons amongst various Christian groups, let alone how or when it was decided upon.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

The, jwfacts, with all due respect, you must have been sleeping thru many meetings and actively have NOTread many articles and books, since the topic of not-inspired books such as additions to both the OT and NT have been covered various times. The Vulgate and Luther additions have been commented on, so QUITE as uninformed as you claim the JWs to be in this respect, they are not - or better, ought not be.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I agree with Paul, JWFacts on this.

The JWs have the protestant version of the books albeit they've butchered it.

There are many interesting 'apocryphal' books but they're not in the NWT so of no validity to the R&F.

After all, they have to agree with what the WBT$ publishes...........or ELSE!!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Hippie, I know the books of the Apocrypha were discussed at meetings. What I never learnt from the meetings that there were several other canons, such as used by the Orthodox, or that for the first 300 years there was no agreement at all on what belonged in the Canon, or that it continued to change over the centuries.

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Old Hippie,

I do understand that the topic has been discussed multiple times within their articles BUT they do not give any further information as to why one was accepted and the other was not even though they have the same prerequisites for being allowed in the Canon. The reasons why are quite similar for both but one was removed and the other was not.

According to the Insight Book Vol. 1 The Book of Daniel-INCLUDED based on the following prerequisites-1) Jesus mentioned his name 2) "Jewish Antiquities" 3) Dead Sea Scrolls.

The Book of Enoch-excluded for having the same prerequisites-1) mentioned by Jude in the New Testament 2 )Discussed in the Old Testament several times. Enoch was taken away like Elijah and did not see death. 3) Dead Sea Scrolls. 4) Mentioned in the Jewish Antiquities.

I read several articles last night and some scholars have noted that the Book of Enoch contained sexual content among the angels and mortals. In order to keep the peace with Constantine and his Crusaders, the Church Fathers refrained from including it in the Canon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit