Why do the Jehovah's Witnesses accept the authenticity of "The Book of Daniel" but not that of Enoch's?

by I_love_Jeff 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

According to the Jehovah's Witness book called Insight Vol. 1:

"Authenticity. Some critics question the authenticity of Daniel, assuming the position taken by a third-century heathen philosopher and enemy of Christianity, Porphyry, who contended that the book of Daniel was forged by a Palestinian Jew of the time of Antiochus Epiphanes. This forger, he theorized, took past events and made them appear to be prophecies. The genuineness of the book of Daniel was not seriously questioned, however, from that day until the early part of the 18th century. Jesus Christ's own acceptance of Daniel's prophecy is an even more significant evidence of its authenticity.-Mt 24:15; Da 11:31.

Historical. Several manuscripts of parts of the book of Daniel were found in the Dead Sea Caves . The earliest manuscript dates from the first half of the first century B.C.E.; the book of Daniel was an accepted part of the Scriptures in that time and was so well known to the Jews that many copies had already been made of it. That it was recognized as a canonical book of that time is supported by the writer of the Apocryphal, but historical, book of First Maccabees (2:59, 60), who made reference to Daniel's deliverance from the den of lions, and that of the three Hebrews from the fiery furnace.
    We have also the testimony of the Jewish historian Josephus, who states that the prophecies of Daniel were shown to Alexander the Great when he entered Jerusalem. This occurred in about 332 B.C.E., more than 150 years before the Maccabean period. Josephus says of the event: "When the book of Daniel was shown to him, in which he had declared that one of the Greeks would destroy the empire of the Persians, he believed himself to be the one indicated." (Jewish Antiquities, XI, 337 [viii, 5]) History also recounts that Alexander bestowed great favors on the Jews, and this is believed to have been because of what Daniel said about him in prophecy."

My thoughts: If the Jehovah's Witnesses accept the Book of Daniel as authentic based on "proof" from Jesus (Mt 24:15;Da 11:31), Dead Sea Scrolls, and Jewish Antiquities then why is the Book of Enoch which can be historically proven in the same way not accepted within their Canon? The Book of Enoch: 1) Dead Sea Scrolls, 2) mentioned in the inspired Book of Jude, 3) Tertullian (160-230 C.E) even called the Book of Enoch "Holy Scripture", 4) Josephus took his information from a source such as 1Enoch 6-11 "two stelae" and the list goes on.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Wow, I'm surprised no one has commented on this interesting subject...

I would guess that the Watchtower Society has found it useful to incorporate various prophecies from Daniel into their dogma.

I have never read the "Book of Enoch".

Here's a link to an online version of the "Book of Enoch", though:

http://www.heaven.net.nz/writings/thebookofenoch.htm

• Glander
    Glander

It might have been taken more seriously if he hadn't signed his name "Nucky"

• ziddina
    ziddina

Glander!!

The OP poses a legitimate question...

• strymeckirules
    strymeckirules

enoch has WAY too much information for the common folk.

that's why it is not included.

• mP
    mP

I know your original question stated why is Daniel accepted but it might be good to clarify that there are chapters that have been rejected and can be found in ohter BIbles. If you read the Book of Enoch, you would realise that its entirely stupid. Funnily enough the JW dont mention that James and other Jude quote Enoch verbatim. Wiki has a good article on the B o E.

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

Thanks Ziddina

• Glander
    Glander

geeze, lighten up.

I will refrain from posting when you folks are playing Dungeons and Dragons.

I bid you adieu.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Relax, Glander... It wasn't a SERIOUS rebuke!

I just wanted you to give the guy a little respect - this is a question that I've not seen on this board before, and I'm pretty sure I_love_Jeff would have appreciated fairly serious answers...

But you COULD go play on the "Wibble" thread...

• Glander
    Glander

Relax, Glander... It wasn't a SERIOUS rebuke!

Thank god you posted this clarification before bedtime. Thank you, zid.

whoops! I already said aloha.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit