Do you ever make a toast (raise your glass, I mean, not put bread in a toaster)?

by sd-7 17 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You know, I don't say "Joe-Ho-Ho" or "the Borg" or "Witlesses" to JW's. That's plenty of regard for not offending their consciences. I don't think they should be so sensitive. If your aunt wanted to make a toast, they didn't have to participate. I would have made a toast myself, and never held back a relative trying to get into the spirit of the occasion.

I have not started a toast in front of my JW mother or wife, but if called upon would do it. I have clinked glasses in front of them when joining someone else's toast.

JW's want you to respect their sensitivity, but it's a one-way street.

Congrats on the wedding.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

He always used to say you had to look the person in the eye and say 7 years and if not you would get 7 years bad sex!!

because its not ok to be superstitious about cheers but you can replace it with weirder ones?

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Most of my JW friends if not all of them, clink glasses if we are out having a brew or a glass of wine. I mean pretty much across the board. Its just they wouldn't do it around elders or whatever.

Interesting fun fact. Clinking glasses together comes from back in Scandinavia where enemies would sometimes dine togehter because there was only one place to eat. LArge wooden or carved cups would hold the grog. They would slap them together, and the liquid would splash into each others cups. it was a way of saying there was a truce for the evening (no poison in either cup).

So not even demonic. :)

• brinjen
    brinjen

It's not something I think about a lot to be honest. Though I did finally meet my step mum just in the last few days and she's big on clinking the glasses before taking the first sip. I complied... no harm done and it's fun. **clink**

• sd-7
    sd-7

OTWO--I agree on that, it's always a one-way street for them. Oh, but no need to congratulate me--the wedding was approximately 3 years ago. Old news. I was just watching our wedding video over the weekend and had some old memories come back. My brother and sister-in-law really got on my nerves at the reception because they even went behind my back and talked to my wife about the toasting issue because they didn't think I was going to do anything about it. They totally ruined the night for me and I didn't even want to do the cake-eating thing couples usually do. I started to get all depressed and unresponsive. You can see it in the pictures, too.

I remember giving my brother $800 towards his wedding and despite his having far more income than I'll ever see, all I ever got from him as a gift was a used microwave. The door broke within the first year and wouldn't close properly. Thankfully we finally got rid of that thing this year.

It was just annoying that they felt a need to impose their consciences on the occasion--and by the way, I'm not even sure if either of them has read the whole Bible yet, and I have, four times, and I've forgotten more than my brother will ever know about JWs, yet THEY saw a need to remind ME about TOASTING? It was insulting.

Sorry. It's been three years, why rant about it now? Far worse things happened after the wedding than on that day. I've not been at any family gatherings since getting expelled from the JWs, even though much of the family is non-JW. I just didn't want to be around anymore and creating awkward scenarios for everyone. After all, door mats belong in front of their own door, not somebody else's. But that's another story.

--sd-7

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

yesclink

• ziddina
    ziddina

We do it often in the SCA...

Though it tends to get a bit messy when the Norsemen join in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDoHHI7oJ8E

• scotoma
    scotoma

No. Because I hate social conventions. I avoid putting my arms around people, fist bumping, high fives and never shake hands with friends. I will give a strong business/sales handshake if I am closing a deal because there is money involved.

I don't kiss my wife good-bye because I intend to see her in a few hours and we already took care of what that leads to.

I'm not saying this is necessarily good. It's just my personal preference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit