Do you ever make a toast (raise your glass, I mean, not put bread in a toaster)?

by sd-7 17 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

I had quite the fun time at my wedding reception with the JW family so worried that my non-JW aunt was going to do a toast. Unlike them, I do have regard for not offending the conscience of others, so of course I wasn't going to allow that under the circumstances. I mean, if they really thought I was going to let them do that, why did they even come in the first place? They probably already knew I was a fornicator and hadn't turned myself in. Silly suckers. The white dress (so the wicked spirits wouldn't go after my wife) and the pagan wedding rings were okay, but the toasting in a gesture of honor to humans, not gods, was not okay. As Slappy the Squirrel would say, "Now that's comedy."

Anyway, now I like to raise my glass, bottle or what have you and for no reason other than that it was forbidden, to make a toast. Usually, since I'm by myself from time to time, I like to make a real jest of it and say, "To all the false gods that ever were!" It's just so much fun.

How about you? Ever have fun with that kind of thing?

--sd-7

• Dune
    Dune

I had no idea toasting was "forbidden". I had left before i was of drinking age and never went to a JW event where there was any alcohol.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

we were always told clinking glasses had something to do with expelling demons. - doesnt everything? lol.. anyway in my husbands family its a tradition - everyone has to clink glasses with everyone else... if theres ten of you at the table thats like 45 clinks lol

• talesin
    talesin

Of course! It doesn't even have to be an alcoholic beverage ... it's a fun thing and yes, I love the defiance of the act.

L'Chaim!

*clink*

t

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

After that "loosely written" QFR several years back, a lot of the 20 to 30-somthings in my area became pretty liberal with "cheers-ing" as we call it. I know the CO (and maybe a subsequent QFR) has tried to dial it back since, but that genie's not going back in the bottle around here.

Most of us won't do it in front of most J-dubs over 45, but it's pretty common for pints of beer or drinks to be raised/clinked when we're all out celebrating something....a new job, turning 30 (that's different than celebrating birthdays, right? ), St. Paddy's Day (oh wait, I mean "hey look, the bars are all open at 10 a.m. today. Weird. Let's go!"), or when we just all happen to be out around midnight on Dec 31st.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Sure do. Always have.

Cheers! Salut! Skol! Chin Chin! Prost!

Chris

• minimus
    minimus

My Italian GF toasts to everything!....Cool out, huh...let's toast! So warm in here,,, Yeah, let's toast!!! I am so tired. Then let's toast!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We always did, even when we were active Dubs, I think we always saw how piss poor the argument against was, and how it worked to make an enjoyable occasion less so.

After all , "Cheers" or even "Up yours" as one Bro used to say ! is only a way of thanking everybody present for contributoing to a great time.

Of course the kill-joy WT would not approve of a good time , miserable sods, you are not making money for them if you do that !

• elderelite
    elderelite

I raise my mug to honor the Thunderer every thursday :)

• lost1
    lost1

The 'ex' refused ever to say "cheers" - it was always "7 years"! Even when I first meet him and had no idea of the lies that were to follow. He always used to say you had to look the person in the eye and say 7 years and if not you would get 7 years bad sex!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit