by leavingwt 40 Replies latest social entertainment

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

I can only put 1 thumb,,,, but if I could would give it 2 Thumbs up

9- and love the Skirtish ending, wee lasses and lads

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

bttt

In recent days, I've been having an email conversation with a friend of mine. He's a huge fan of Daniel Craig as Bond. Yet, he's never actually seen all of the older films.

Granted, the films should stand on their own, but how can you judge the newer films (as Bond films) without having seen the Connery movies?

He said he couldn't get into them, because they are "too old", which I really don't understand. I'm almost 40, but it appears that some of the folks younger than me cannot get into movies that provide a 'slow build', in which every minute of screen time doesn't contain an explosion or profanity. I've heard people joke about an "MTV Generation" that have ADD or something similiar, but I'm not sure if it's simply just a difference in taste of movies. Granted, art cannot be measured, only appreciated, but I figured I'd ask you folks about this.

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

/end rant

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Timothy Dalton just always looked UNCOMFORTABLE. Stick to Heathcliff and more intense roles, man!

I agree he was too serious, long term. That intensity worked for him in License to Kill, because it was darker than most Bond films. Living Daylights, not so much.

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Just saw it. Loved it. A most excellent addition to the franchise!

"What makes you think this is my first time?"

What exactly has James done for King and country...?

• bohm
    bohm

leavingwt: i got to admit i am one of the people who have a very hard time watching the old bond movies, but it has nothing to do with the pacing. The problem is more about bonds gadgets, a view on women which has not aged well and the villians/plot sometimes being a tad too austin powers.

• Satanus
    Satanus

What i always find funny in movies like this is, when the bad gets his gun pointed at the good guy and he has a chance to kill him, he could just pull the trigger. It would take less that a second. Instead, he gives a big speech abour how his whole operation works. Or, he'll devise an 'interesting' way for the good guy to die. The good guy always gets away. 'Course, that's the end for that good guy. They'ld have to find another good guy.

S

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I felt a bit disappointed when I left the cinema.

I gauge how good a film is by whether or not my wife falls asleep and for how long. She did sleep but not for as long as some films.

My disappointed feeling came, I think, from my having viewed the trailers and seeing the opening scene and others and there seemed quite of alot of failure for Bond. Maybe I was just expecting too much.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Thought it was one of the better Bond films...lots of action and a fantastic bad guy in Bardem. Though Sean Connery will always be Bond, Daniel Craig comes closer to the Bond of the books...a cold blooded killer with a flash of gallows humor.

• Farkel
    Farkel

The world can thank President John F. Kennedy for James Bond's popularity moving from Great Britain to the entire world.

"Dr. No" hit the cinema within one year of Kennedy announcing he was a big fan of Ian Fleming's Bond. They soon started flying off the bookshelves after that.

Connery is Bond. The others are charming, but I'll stick with Connery!

Farkel

• minimus
    minimus

Daniel Craig is the best Bond yet. Sorry Sean.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit