A JW mother and her children just came to my door......

by haboob48 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

You can have in mind what you're going to say the next time JWs knock on your door, but you never know when they're going to be there, so it takes you by surprise.

It's not uncommon for your heart to start beating, your mind goes blank and all of those perfectly reasoned points you were going to say go straight out of your mind.

So don't feel bad if all you can say is "no thank you". It probably won't be the last time you speak to a JW. Nor is there any award for making the best argued point or for the number of JWs you bring out of the religion.

• haboob48
    haboob48

I just wanna say THX to ALL that replied! I will figure out what to say. You all are the greatest! This post is to say thanks to everyone that responded! Wha happened? I am ur biggest fan! lol be good all, and carry-on!

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

You didnt choke in my opinion.

Just letting rip with ton of verbal apostasy wont do a scrap of good. I aim, on the rare visits i get, to just have them walk away with one or two things to think about.

she will have gone away winded that the public out there are investigating them...and it aint good and the kids (depending on age) may well go away wondering WHY they are not allowed to look in other places...

Oz

• haboob48
    haboob48

Thx OZ! I think she was taken aback when I said I looked at everything that has to do with JW's. I wanted to let her know that I will and have looked at it already! I so feel for her and her kids, hopefully this Mother will love her kids and want to save them! Time will tell right?!

thehaboob!

• chicken little
    chicken little

Same thing happened to me on Saturday, two men, from a congregation in our area, they knew we did not go to meetings but said they were out in service and would not just go by without calling. I was very kind and polite, told them we were just fine and explained a little of the trauma we have had with our son being injured in Afghan. They said we were always welcome at the meetings and I said I knew that was the case. I told them we never discuss our reasons for not attending with anyone and would not do so in the future. The said they would pop by another time and I was very kind and said they were welcome but that we are just fine and happy as we are. I felt no panic, no need to tell them about their religion, no sense of anger ...nothing. Just like a worldly person who gets called on, on a Saturday morning. Quite funny though because my husband was downstairs marking school papers and he had come up to see who it was, he had on a black tshirt with a huge devil head and underneath it says: God is busy, can I help you? I laughed so much thinking about how they would have responded if he had anwsered the door, former elder and speaker at district conventions etc. Funny.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Chicken Little - LOL! That is perfect!

I don't open my door to strangers, unless they're bringing me pizza.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    I let her know that YES, I had been researching her religion, all the way back to the beginning and it was very interesting in deed. She let me know there is only "ONE" official site I should be looking at JW.org and none other.

"That's an interesting perspective. Can I ask you what kind of car you drive?"

"Uh, I drive a <insert any 4-door model>."

"Really! Well I'm shopping for a car right now. I went to the dealer yesterday and the salesperson told me 'You should only research this model on OUR website and by reading OUR brochures. Anything else you read online about it is most likely untrue and propaganda spread by unhappy former owners.'

What do you think? Should I follow the salesman's advice and buy that car?"

(Allow for response.)

• featherimiss
    featherimiss

I received a vist from 2 sisters and a little 2 year old toddler about 2 weeks ago. My son said mom I think the mormons are in the neighborhood, the are getting out of cars. I started laughing...my parents are very active JW's with my father being an elder and my son did not know that this is how JW complete their preaching work. I said son those are JW. He was so excited to open the door because we never had a visit from the JW before.

So we both answered the door. The younger sister asked do you believe that you can live forever. My son said yes. She was very excited that he was ready to engage in conversation. She ask how, he stated it can happen through reincarnation, going to heaven. Then she asked me, I said I definitely believe in living forever by going to heaven. I'm a born again Christian. So then she was ready to open up her bible and then I stopped her. I said that I know of the JW beliefs very well. I was born and raised in the religion, my parents and lots of family members are still very active. I even let her know tht my father was an elder. She asked if I was baptised...this is where I did not tell the "Truth"...lol. I told her no..because really I do not count the JW baptism as being baptized. But the truth I was baptized, but have never been disfellowshipped and I'm very open about my Christian beliefs.

She then asked why did I not accept the JW faith. My son told her that I did, but because of my sister being disfellowshipped and the treatment that my sister received, that I quit going. She said that we should come by the hall and visit and ask if I would like a Bible study or for her to stop by for time to time. I politely declined and said that I did not understand freedom until I was released from the bondage of the JW beliefs. She was a little silent and the older lady then asked if we were interested in the Watchtower and this article about school for my College son. My son was happy to receive them and asked if they had a cost...she said about the donation. He gave her a dollar. She asked again about if we wanted a return visit...I told her we did not want to waste her time, that we were very happy in out beliefs. But when my parents come to visit we will make sure to let them know where the Kingdom Hall is located. We live in Texas and there really are not alot of Kingdom Halls. She gave us her telephone #, my son said give it to my mom..because I'm not taking my grandparents to the JW Church..it's a little too relaxed for me. My son is 18 yrs old and he joked you guys need some good music in your church and a preacher to get it going. She laughed and then asked him when was the last time he visited a KH...he said I must have been around 8 or 9. She asked why didn't my parents take him...we both laughed. They were probably afraid of me commenting about how much I love Christmas and just do not understand a religion that don't celebrate Christmas. This was something that my son has and still tell my parents all the time...(now it's a family joke).

Anyway...it was a good visit. I don't feel it's my job to tell them about their religion. But it's definitely my job to let them know that I'm very happy with my beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit