Is "full-time service" a cult within a cult?

by brokethechain 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Yes, you make a very valid point of subsets within the cult.

I agree with "pioneer lunches" why invite the spiritually sick, poor, orphans, widows, weak and elderly to the King's banquet? Invite the Pioneers so they can pontificate what their right hand has been doing! Jesus also said "I came to help strong ones, not the sick ones! Healthy Pioneers need a spiritual checkup, sick one's should be tossed aside!" (Watchtower 3:16-28)

We have the "Cult Of The Pioneer", assumptions are made these men and women are more spiritual clean, psychologically-spiritually sound, and have a greater share of God's Spirit.

Pioneers are the first to be given parts on the "Kingdom Ministry School (nothing wrong with this concept, why not sure well seasoned one's to provide good parts?), Circuit Assembly, District Assembly, and offered the first chance for International Assemblies!

I am guilty of attributing qualities to Pioneers that many of them were greatly lacking (love, compassion, humility, honesty, truth, holy spirit, empathy, altrusim, willing to work with weak ones) and refused to work with weak ones when we begged them to! The Society's model has learned to cut their losses with weak ones, we were told a weak Witness burn's up more resources than trying to find a new recruit. Sorry, for this rant of Pioneering and the cult of of it.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Yes, these are the Marines or Special Forces (SAS) of the Watchtower. If they tell them to jump off a cliff, they will jump off a cliff. Pity them, for their leaders are blind (cf. Matt. 15:14).

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

They cheat with field service, I can't say they would jump off a cliff when they are not doing their master's (watchtower org) will with a complete heart. It's magic how hours go from 0 to 90 in the past, cooking the pioneers books and they feel good about this corruption!

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Absolutely, particularly "special fulltime service" like Bethel and missionary service. I've always felt the cult watchers who sometimes feel that Watchtower is an HCG should look at this arm of Watchtower to see the real cultism.

Isaac

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Absolutely on a self made pedestal. See how someone is treated when he leaves bethel, resigns as a circuit overseer.

He suddenly despite his @@@years in full time service is treated like something to clean off the bottom of your shoe by those still in "full time service".

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

The cult like attributes of being a JW are definitely more pronounced at Bethel.

Amen to that. My brother was a Bethelite for 18 years and even got to get married while in Bethel. I visited him there many times, and got to see it first hand. There are rules about every stinking thing. One time I was eating in the Bethel dining room and absent-mindedly used the butter knife to spread it on the bread. Audible gasps around the table and a stern look from my brother. Later I got a lecture from him. Jeepers! And I'm 2 years older than he is.

My parents worshipped him and were always urging me to encourage him and his wife. "They work so hard at Bethel." Yes, dammit, and I have a full-time job, work my a$$ off in the ministry and in the congregation, but nobody cleans my house for me or cooks my meals or does my laundry.

Oh, and every word that dropped from his mouth was a holy nugget. I remember telling my father about some piece of news I'd heard from a visiting Bethel speaker and him poo-pooing it. Then a couple of days later he called me with the exact same piece of news, except he'd heard it from my brother. Now it was official.

• brokethechain
    brokethechain

I remember also how so much of one's identity is wrapped up in not only being a JW but in being a "pioneer".

One's self-esteem and sense of worth becomes tied to it, because it leaves so little time for any accomplishments, and any other accomplishments are discouraged anyway. In fact, I remember that among some of the pioneers, and the judmental attitudes were more severe. Outside accomplishments were frowned upon. Window washing or janitorial work was typically glorified, whereas an interesting secular job/ was seen as a "danger".

Looking back, I can see that different congregations also have differing levels of cultishness. Some are much more liberal. Being in congregations that had loads of pioneers, things were especially fanatical. It's pretty darn amazing that any break free (like me!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit