It's Official! The Governing Body IS the Faithful and Discreet Slave (Annual Meeting Report - jw.org)

by 00DAD 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Doubting Bro: They're so difficult to figure out since what they do often isn't logical, especially when your talking about their theology!

Yes, isn't it amazing? Once you realize how full of it the writers of the WT are, it is just so obvious how incoherent, illogical and inconsistent their "theology" is!

I know I've had many moments where I smacked my head saying, "How could I have ever believed any of this crap? It's just so stupid!"

I mean, seriously: the ideas they come up with just don't even make sense!?!?!?

00DAD

• caliber
    caliber

That slave is the small, composite group of anointed brothers serving at world headquarters during Christ’s presence who are directly involved in preparing and dispensing spiritual food. When this group work together as the Governing Body, they act as “the faithful and discreet slave.””

The Governing Body does not, by itself, prepare and dispense spiritual food . In fact, few, if any, articles are written by them. Others write the articles; others dispense the food. Some of these are not even of the "anointed "

The Governing Body (note the capital "G" and the capital "B") was not formally established as such until 1971 . From about 1932 to 1971

the ones primarily looked to as directing the org. were the President and Vice-President

Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? 46 Happy is that slave if his master on arriving finds him doing so…48 “But if ever that evil slave should say in his heart, ‘My master is delaying,’ (Mt. 12:47, 48)

Then that slave that understood the will of his master but did not get ready or do in line with his will, will be beaten with many strokes. 48 But the one that did not understand and so did things deserving of strokes will be beaten with few. . . .(Luke 12:47, 48)

The faithful slave is not identified by being commissioned to feed the domestics. Their judgement is based on how well

they preform their duties.. is it not too early to say how well they have done ?

Because the master's arrival seems to delay , is it not so the his arriving will be a future event , where

both the faithful &

unfaithful slave receive their reward and appointment ?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

This NooLite™ also affects the 'Loyalty Question' (depending on how it's worded).

"Do you believe God is using the faithful and discreet slave class to dispense spiritual truth?" or "Do you recognize the divinely-given authority of the faithful and discreet slave?"

Response: Since the Master has not arrived, it is yet to be determined whether the appointed slave has carried out his duties faithfully and discreetly, so how can I answer your question? I wouldn't want to be presumptuous, brother.

• AncientAlien
    AncientAlien

CAREFULLY READ THIS ARTICLE OF THE WATCHTOWER... (w81 3/1 ):

Do You Appreciate the “Faithful and Discreet Slave”?

“WHO really is the faithful and discreet slave?” With that question, Jesus Christ introduced a parable, or an illustration, of prophetic importance. It is part of the “sign” he gave regarding the “conclusion of the system of things,” in which we are now living. (Matt. 24:3) After instructing his disciples to keep on the watch, Jesus said:

“Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? Happy is that slave if his master on arriving finds him doing so. Truly I say to you, He will appoint him over all his belongings.”—Matt. 24:42-47.
    Who is this “slave” and who are the “domestics”? What are the “belongings”? Such questions are not of mere academic interest. Properly identifying and cooperating with the “faithful and discreet slave” will mean great happiness and rich spiritual rewards.

“WHO REALLY IS THE FAITHFUL AND DISCREET SLAVE?”

Some state that the “slave” refers to Christian ministers, or their office of oversight, with responsibility to care for the spiritual needs of the congregation. The ‘master’s’ arrival is said to be either the second coming of Christ or the death of the individual minister. Thus it is held that the parable should motivate Christian ministers to care well for what is entrusted to them.

Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that this parable pertains to the one true congregation of Jesus Christ’s anointed followers. Beginning with Pentecost, 33 C.E., and continuing through the 19 centuries since then, this slavelike congregation has been feeding its members spiritually, doing so faithfully and discreetly. Especially has the identity of this “slave” become clear at the time of Christ’s return or presence.

The “slave” is identifiable by its watchfulness and by the fact that it is faithfully and discreetly providing spiritual food as needed by all in the Christian congregation. Indeed, this “slave,” or spirit-anointed congregation, is the one approved channel representing God’s kingdom on earth in the “time of the end.” (Dan. 12:4) Witnesses of Jehovah understand that the “slave” is comprised of all anointed Christians as a group on earth at any given time during the 19 centuries since Pentecost. Accordingly, the “domestics” are these followers of Christ as individuals.
    Some readers may feel that this is a rather sectarian view of matters. Or they may object to the idea that the “slave” and the “domestics” represent the same class, one as a composite body and the other as individuals.

The objectors may argue that not all of Christ’s anointed disciples have a share in preparing the spiritual food, so that perhaps the “slave” pictures only the leading ones, and the “domestics” those they serve in the congregation.

There is no point in trying to force an interpretation of the parable.

Self-deception is of no benefit and is spiritually damaging. Therefore, we must look to the Scriptures for an understanding. In doing this, what do we find? This “slave” is a servant of the Master Christ Jesus and his Father, Jehovah. (Compare Matthew 10:24, 25.) And a servant can be a collective group. In the past, the entire nation of Israel was Jehovah’s servant, or slave.

He said to them: “You, O Israel, are my servant.” (Isa. 41:8, 9; 44:21) This one servant was composed of individuals, as Isaiah 43:10 shows in stating: “‘You are my witnesses [plural],’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘even my servant [singular] whom I have chosen, in order that you may know and have faith in me.’” These Israelites of ancient times were Jehovah’s “special property,” a “holy nation.” (Ex. 19:5, 6) Even though not every individual shared in administrating the nation’s affairs, all individuals made up the one people, God’s “servant.” Only a few shared in writing or copying the Holy Scriptures, yet the apostle Paul could say of the people of Israel: “They were entrusted with the sacred pronouncements of God.” (Rom. 3:1, 2) To these belonged the covenants, the Law and the promises. (Rom. 9:3-5)

So the entire nation was Jehovah’s collective, or composite, “servant,” while it, at the same time, was made up of individuals, his “witnesses.”
    When Jesus was on earth, he told Israel’s religious leaders: “The kingdom of God will be taken from you and be given to a nation producing its fruits.” (Matt. 21:43)

This “nation” producing Kingdom fruits must be the widespread true Christian congregation, concerning which Peter wrote: “You are . . . ‘a holy nation, a people for special possession, that you should declare abroad the excellencies’ of the one [God] that called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. For you were once not a people, but are now God’s people.” (1 Pet. 2:9, 10) Such congregation is also called the “Israel of God” and “God’s household.” (Gal. 6:16; 1 Tim. 3:15)

The individuals in the congregation are called “members of the household of God.” (Eph. 2:19) ‘Faithful stewardship’ among such household members involves the dispensing of spiritual truths, which constitute suitable “food” for believers. (1 Cor. 3:2-5; 4:1, 2) It is noteworthy that the “faithful and discreet slave” is called a “steward” at Luke 12:42-48.

While alive on earth, Jesus’ faithful apostles were especially responsible for providing spiritual teaching for the “household of God.” Appointed ‘shepherds’ of the “flock,” as well as others, also had similar responsibility. However, the apostle Peter shows that such stewardship of divine truths actually was committed to all the ‘chosen ones.’ Hence, each respective member of the congregation made a contribution to the building up of the body. (Eph. 4:11-16; 1 Pet. 1:1, 2; 4:10, 11; 5:1-3)

Thus we see a clear Scriptural basis for saying that all anointed followers of Christ Jesus make up God’s “servant,” with Jesus as its Master. Accordingly, that servant, or “slave,” as a collective body provides spiritual food for all the individuals of this congregation, which make up the household of “domestics.” These individually benefit as recipients of that food.—1 Cor. 12:12, 19-27; Heb. 3:5, 6; 5:11-14.

DO you know the meaning of the word audasity?

1) Fearless daring.

2) Aggressive boldness or unmitigated effrontery

Can you see how this applies to the watchtower?

• Ding
    Ding

How grateful we should be that "the truth" keeps changing.

There's enough repetition in the mags and meetings as it is...

• erbie
    erbie

To be honest guys, this is the way I've always understood it (rightly or wrongly) regardless of what everyone else believes.

After all, how can some little old widow lady in the back row at the Kingdom Hall, who nobody gives more than a passing thought to but for the fact that once a year they 'observe' her nibbling on a piece of dried up cracker, possibly be dispensing spiritual food as part of the 'FDS'?

This isn't really 'new light' to me...

Rather, someone changing the light bulb, and MAN is it getting bright!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit