Why I Follow Conspiracy Theories

by metatron 31 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Conspiracy theories have become a new hobby of mine - although that doesn't mean I put any great faith in any of them. Nevertheless, I see certain reasons for considering them. Why?

1) because conspiracies are how the world is run, in fact. Consider that conspiracy is not just a side effect of government, it is the very purpose and aim of government ! They conspire to deceive and mislead the public on a daily basis - and elections are simply more intense examples of this.

How else can you have an accomplishment-free Affirmative Action President running against a truth challenged weasel?

Religions? Need I go there? Pure conspiracy.... give us your donations, get saved/wait for Armageddon.

How about the mainstream media? Advertising?

2) Free speech is the privilege of the dead. If you're seeking truth, good luck. Only crazy or dead people can tell the truth. Why do you think Microsoft has gotten away with such awful products for so long? - fear of their power. I'll give the crack pots a hearing, you never know.....

It's all Rashomon, folks.

metatron

• Satanus
    Satanus

I also spent some time in them. However, after a while, i got tired of the hype and fearmongering. Those guys are worse than the ones they rail against.

I do agree though, on your basic premise; all groups have their own little conspiracies that the hope to advance. Most 'conspiracies' cancel each other out. There is no global conspiracy w someone controling everything. There are groups that have a lot of control in certain areas. But, the best laid plans of mice and men always screw up, somewhere.

S

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's the thing. Leaders must be trustworthy to attract followers. The higher the integrity of the organization, the healthier it operates.

http://www.ethicaledge.com/quest_3.html

Choose to deceive and risk losing it all.

• cofty
    cofty

I used to be a conspiracy theorist.

I used to believe I had been born into the only true religion on the planet...

that 12 old gits in Brooklyn had a direct line to god...

that all other religions were going to be attacked by the UN...

that the rest of the world was under control of an invisible spirit called Satan...

and so on ....

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Metatron, the chemtrails have gotten to you!

• baltar447
    baltar447

I also get some entertainment value out of following conspiracy theories. Since some of these HAVE turned out to be TRUE, I feel it's silly to dismiss them all.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19884_6-insane-conspiracy-theories-that-actually-happened.html

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

The corporate media is one of the most effective and sinister conspiracies, because they are the gatekeepers of government, scientific, cultural, and economic lies. Without the media, many of these conspiracies would fail.

• still thinking
    still thinking

The problem with conspiracy theories is that they 'may' take a smidgeon of truth from somewhere. And create a story around it.

They point to 'some' verifiable facts (sometimes)... and try to say that therefore their entire agurment is true.

More often than not their arguments look like this...... 1 + 1 = 3

I think conspiracy theorists often make it HARDER to see the facts. They load the internet with so much rubbish. No one knows what is true and what isn't. But one thing is for sure. The fairy stories about Satan ruling the world aren't true. Because they can't even prove Satan is true....

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

Just learned today that Minnesota Governor Jesse Venture has shot for another season of Conspiracy Theory on TruTV.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Anybody who cant see, or refuses to see, that there is a small percentage of elite (rich, through extortion) assholes who conspire to dominate and exploit the masses is a goddamned imbecile, and deserves to be enslaved. Keep payin yer effin taxes and buying their shit, and denying that they exist. They love your stupidity. They get to fly their private jets and bang their whores while you finance it with it your labor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit