Hi Everyone

by Skbj 28 Replies latest jw friends

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Greetings from California!

I like that story. You give good solid advice. I am curious about what country you are from. Can you share that, or will you make me guess? You say middle east, and that there are Catholics there. I would guess Iraq. Many Iraqi Cathlics have set up a community here in California.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Great story, and welcome here. I can relate to your relationship with your mum, mine too used to phone and then text on my birthday, oddly enough she stopped when I stopped being a JW.

Remember though your parents are being controlled on what to think and do, in different circumstances, had they not become JWs I am sure they would act differently.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That made my day, Skbj

Welcome to the forum

Cheers

Chris

• Skbj
    Skbj

Hey people, thanks for the warm welcome! I'll go edit the grammar/typos in a minute :P I started writing at about 1 am with the presidential election broadcast in the background and didn't realize the time till I stopped writing at 06.25am and I was too tired to go back editing, but at least you get the drift of my story :)

@crmsicl LOL! Yes I did pinned the guy to the wall, I'm definitely feisty although as an adult I don't resort to physical force, I know better, but as a kid I grew up with boys, my buddy was a JW kid 2 years older than me, and I was much of a tom-boy which added to my genes produced an individual who wouldn't put up with shit from no one. My parents told me this story that apparently when I was 6 and about to attend my first school year they gave me the "talk" on what to do if a boy or person would try to touch me in private places and before explaining it me they asked me what I'd do to see my reaction and apparently I pulled a funny face as I mimicked elbowing hard the perpetrator, that sent my parents in fits laughing.

@atrapado your friend story is the one most of the kids I grew up with also had. Probably it would have been mine too. Who knows? It's really sad, because 95% of those I grew up with are now either in or out of the WTBS but they have all divorced and are often single parents.

@kurtbethel Oh I probably confused people, I didn't grow up in the Middle East; I’ve only been here for 3.5 years. I live in Dubai. My husband's British and we came here on honey moon and fell in love with it so we moved. I grew up in Italy then moved to England. With the plans we have we'll move again no doubt. I've been blessed to have met this amazing man who like me feels a citizen of Earth rather than a particular country.

@Happyatlast yeah I remember that they are brainwashed, and after almost 40 years in the organization is hard to even consider you've been conned all this time. It's ironic because my parents are so open minded for so many things, years ago we had a heated discussion because I was doing yoga as sport, which I never practiced for meditation btw, but next I find out my mom for example believes in chakras and lots of so called ayurvedic healing therapies, that concentrate in healing the soul first and the body will get better as result. (Which I find hilarious when as JW they believe that there's no separation between body and soul, right?) She also believes in cosmic order or healing I think is called, when you put your wish out and let things fall into place. Which I found really WEIRD she'd believed in these things, but I've never discouraged it in the hope that her curiosity will one day lead her to query more and more in regards to the WTBS.

Thank you also to everyone else who I haven't mentioned for the welcome. :)

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Welcome! Wow, you have had quite a life. I'm glad you got out of JWs and found happiness!

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Sbj-Wow, and welcome. What an interesting person you are. How I wish that would've had your bravery and courage as a young woman. I too, think I was born as an apostate...so much never made sense to me. Your husband sound amazing and it is wonderful that you are so happy!

• Skbj
    Skbj

Thank you ladies :)

@PaintedToeNail the important thing is that you found the strength to get out of it! It's never too late. Ahah yes I was born apostate they should have seen the signs when as a child a District Overseer asked me at a summer convention: "Tell me what do you like to most about the convention?" he was probably hoping I'd say something along the lines of "learning more about Jehovah" or "see my brothers and sisters"but with the innocence that only kids have, without hesitation I answered:

"The ham and cheese sandwiches and Fanta".

My husband is awesome yes, funny story: we just started dating and about 2 months later I had a trip planned to go home. During my visit my parents had a party planned, the last one actually where I socialized with other JWs (mind u I had been out already for 6 years at this point) so they had a new Special Pioneer assigned to their congregation, single as most are and my mom was trying to set me up with him Bwhahaha!! She spoke so much about him prior to the party, how handsome and full of virtues he was, then I met him, he wasn't handsome, and he wasn't chatty nor he came across confident, and thought to myself: "Even if I would still be a JW this guy would not raise my interest in a million years, my mom has serious bacon slices over her eyes, wait till she meets my boyfriend!" to her I just said: "Mother you have NO clue, how you bagged yourself a good looking man as my dad puzzles me, but thank God we aren't in some countries where parents pick their kids husband/wife or I'd be doomed with your taste in men, this religion has even messed up your man radar"

By man radar I mean, and you all probably come across how JW often judge someone to be an awesome person purely based on their participation in the religious activities rather than the person him/herself. Just because someone makes clever comments at the meetings, goes regularly out preaching,maybe is even pioneer, does articulated talks in the KH etc does NOT make them automatically an awesome person or suitable marriage partner.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Hello, Apostate-from-Birth! (LOL)

Thank you for sharing your story. Very interesting read.

Welcome to JWN. You will like it here.

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself)

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Welcome, and thanks for the detailed and quite colorful introductory story!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit