Mr. Wade from noblood.org

by turtleturtle 18 Replies latest watchtower medical

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

So, a couple months ago (I didn't want to post this when it happened, just in case Mr. Wade suspended my noblood.org forum account. Maybe he frequents this site.) I posted on noblood.org's forum a question that was along the lines of "Why have there been changes in the acceptability of JW's blood doctrine over the years?" Mr. Wade posted on the forum that he was not aware of any doctrinal changes (No, I didn't PDF that! Wish I would have!). Then, I responded with a light list of references (e.g. - w00 0/0 p. 0) that proved what he said was not true.

This is what I got as a private message from Mr Wade:

Heads up ShellShock
    This is your only warning.
    Your posts reflected a
    disingenuous approach.
    Though we at times
    discuss what health care
    choices are or are not
    open to Jehovah's
    Witnesses WE DO NOT
    discuss the religious merits
    of their choices. WE DO
    NOT discuss how they
    arrived to their choices. As
    I said in my first
    response...hemodilition is
    a matter of personal
    choice for Jehovah's
    Witnesses. That's all we
    need to know.
    If you would like to know
    the background and
    reasoning of such current
    beliefs please take it up
    with Jehovah's Witnesses
    in your area.

Me:

Mr. Wade,

If you glance at my initial post, I had a sincere question. I recognize that procedures involving blood, such as hemodilution & fractionation, have changed over the years. Since it seems that the moderators on this website have an abundance of knowledge regarding blood fractions/procedures involving one's own blood, I was hoping to better understand whether doctrinal changes had occured due to changes in the production/content of blood fractions or changes in procedures using one's own blood. May I remind you that your first reply to my post stated that there had been no changes in Jehovah's Witnesses doctrines. I was simply providing you with some references. I felt offended when you stated "This is your only warning. Your posts reflected a disingenuous approach".

Mr. Wade

Disingenuous - withholding or not taking account of known information; giving a false impression of sincerity or simplicity; not genuinely sincere.

Why didn't you just say what was on your mind in your first post? Your posting of an old Watchtower excerpt in a follow up post certainly shows that you knew exactly what you were up to.

You did the same basic thing with the question about transplants:

"Can you provide some type of reference for this statement?"

"Can you please explain the reasons behind your statement that the 11/15 1967 WT article said organ transplant "maybe cannibalism"?

This crosses the line from medical to religious. Though you did not start this thread (we have closed the thread and are communication with the person that started the thread) you obviously wanted to steer the discussion. Pnutts rightly gave you the current position which is exactly all we need to know in order to treat the JW population.

Today's posts came after you were told that this sort of thing would not allowed here.

I have been involved with the website since its inception. We have had hundreds of people come here with negative things to say about Jehovah's Witnesses. Some have admitted to being ex-Jehovah's Witnesses. They did not want to discuss the health care choices of Jehovah's Witnesses in order to understand how to treat them while respecting those choices. They were hear to debate and expose and to damage the reputation of the JW leadership. I am not saying you are one of those people, but I am saying you have wandered into an area of discussion that is not allowed.

We are actually trying to do some good here. Please respect that. Participating in a Forum is like participating in a group discussion. You must behave or you will be asked to leave. We have put you in 'moderation only' status. That means you can continue to participate but your comments and questions must be cleared by one of our moderators before allowed to go public.

Here's a response to your original post. You do not have auto-notification so probably did not read this before we shut down the discussion. I did add an extra paragraph...

"Apparently, things have changed since 1972. Is that your point? I will speak to the principle of change. However this is not a forum for religious discussion. What I mean by that is Catholics, Muslims, Atheists and everyone else may believe what they want. The task of healthcare providers is to treat them with respect.

Now to the question of changing viewpoint. With increased knowledge comes increased understanding. Increased understanding is like turning on a brighter light. When we shine a brighter light on something we may see the need to revise our viewpoint. For example, when I entered health care we were still using the 10/30 measurement as a transfusion guideline. Meaning when the patients hemoglobin reached 10 and the hematocrit reached 30 blood was transfused. With increased understanding, that guideline was changed. It took humility on the part of many physician's to admit they needed to change. But change they did. Apparently the Jehovah's Witness leadership has undergone something similar regarding hemodilution. How they arrive at their health care choices is their personal business.

By the way, you rightly used the word 'doctrine' in your original post. The definition of doctrine is 'a body of ideas, particularly in religion, taught to people as truthful or correct'. Doctrine is not law. Doctrine is current understanding. The 10/30 rule was part of a 'transfusion doctrine'. Physician's adjusted their point of view as the light of understanding tolerance of anemia got brighter.

Within the past twenty years knowledge of what crosses the placental barrier has grown. We now now that the blood fractions albumin and bilirubin is exchanged between mother and fetus. Is it wrong for Jehovah's Witnesses to use that new knowledge to adjust their viewpoint of blood fractions? I would think it wrong if they did not!

When one takes a leadership position such as the one taken by physician's they must use current understanding as their guide or put another way they must hold to current doctrine until such time as increased knowledge clearly indicates the need to adjust."

Me:

Mr. Wade,

Why did you not simply post this information in the first place? The placental barrier topic gives me much insight concerning why the fractions doctrine was changed. Instead, you jumped to the conclusion that I was being disingenuous, which offended me greatly.

And, just for the record, you are admitting in this message that the doctrine did indeed change at some point. Why did you state otherwise in the forum? Are you being disingenuous?

Take care.

Mr. Wade

If I was not clear in my intent I apologize.

Mr. Wade

So lets put our cards on the table. Why did you bring references from old Watchtowers to the site? Where did you get those? What is your intent here? What point are you wishing to make?

Me:

I question your motives in asking these questions since I believe you already know the answers. For example, why would you ask where I got certain Watchtower references? Searching the keywords "hemophiliac" or "blood fraction" in the Watchtower CD-ROM will pull up every article in the last half century that addresses those issues. I believe you already know this fact. Also, I have already expressed my intent here via my first post. Perhaps you should read that post again. I am not trying to make a point. Rather, I was trying to better understand why doctrine related to medical procedures has changed over the years.

Mr. Wade:

OK. Good. Just keep it clinical and all is well.

END DISCUSSION

While I do not have the post where he stated that there had been no changes to the blood doctrine, I do have PDFs showing that my post used to be in the forum. And, I have PDFs of all the coorespondence between himself and I.

Why am I posting this?

I was shocked at Mr. Wade's communication to me. I did not post something "apostate". I posed a question.

• perfect1
    perfect1

Exactly: you posed a question.

That indicates independent thinking and is not allowed.

• steve2
    steve2

Hi Turtleturtle, great topic. You certainly were not fazed by his determination to deal to character (i.e., questioning motives) and not content (i.e., deflecting your perfecly reasonable inquiries). What an over-the-top scolding you got! Shesh! Yet, the outcome was indeed even more revealing; you even extracted a weak apology from Mr Wade along with even more parental-scolding). Imagine having him as your father. Your ears and backside would be red raw. Man, you irked him, when he should have simply answered your questions in the first place.

Can you fill me in on who Mr Wade is and what his website is for? I genuinely do not know. Sounds like he is some sort of medical know-it-all and, of course, pro-JW although not one himself? He appears to place a high priority on his status and the status quo.

The demarcation he makes between blood procedures and "religion" is intriguingly naive and artificial- but there you go.

All in all, damn good sleuthing on your part.

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

@steve2:

I don't know much about noblood.org

However, I sent him another private message tonight. A couple hours later I logged into my noblood.org inbox and guess what, all my messages from him were magically gone. Well, good for me I have PDFs of everything.

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

Perhaps Mr. Wade frequents this site. Why would my inbox be cleared within 1.5-2 hours?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

LOL! I knew Jan Wade BEFORE he got his 'position.' Before that, he used to sell janitorial supplies for a 'brother's' janitorial supply company.

Please note that his LinkedIn work history goes back only to 1998. ; )

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=4902251&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=-bCe&locale=en_US&srchid=793da225-528b-4522-be65-4030aaf1f875-0&srchindex=2&srchtotal=186&goback=%2Efps_PBCK_jan+wade_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*2_*1_Y_*1_*1_*1_false_1_R_*1_*51_*1_*51_true_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2&pvs=ps&trk=pp_profile_name_link

• talesin
    talesin

Now to the question of changing viewpoint. With increased knowledge comes increased understanding. Increased understanding is like turning on a brighter light. When we shine a brighter light on something we may see the need to revise our viewpoint. For example, when I entered health care we were still using the 10/30 measurement as a transfusion guideline. Meaning when the patients hemoglobin reached 10 and the hematocrit reached 30 blood was transfused. With increased understanding, that guideline was changed. It took humility on the part of many physician's to admit they needed to change. But change they did. Apparently the Jehovah's Witness leadership has undergone something similar regarding hemodilution. How they arrive at their health care choices is their personal business.

Mr. Wade sounds like a Jehovah's Witness (note bolded portion - who says that? except JWS).

t

• talesin
    talesin

Just saw your comment, JT !

• rebel8
    rebel8

He suspends all discussions that hint at critical thinking or sensible medical talk. He suspends user accounts if your username or signature is "offensive".

He pretends to not be a dub but he sure acts like one.

he was not aware of any doctrinal changes

That is a lie. That's already been discussed and proven to him several times. He just rejects any facts that don't fit with his preconceived notions of what he wants to be true.

Participating there is an exercise in futility, I've found.

• shadow
    shadow

that site must have Bethel's approval or I'm sure they would take it down

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit