How did you fare in High School as a JW?

by PaintedToeNail 41 Replies latest jw friends

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

For me it was rather painful. It was like pressing your nose against the candy store window, knowing that you can look, but you cannot partake.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I believe the word should be "fare"...

But I did do OK at the State Fair...

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

James, darling, thank you for the correction. A bit rusty on my spelling I see.

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

I wanted to be like all the other girls. They were all wearing their skirts and dresses well above the knees.....I used to wear skirts so I could roll them up in the bathroom and look like everyone else! Of course the guilt set in later.......

I loved being asked out by "worldly cool guys", but then had to make excuses why I couldn't...it got harder and harder. I mean what was I supposed to say? My Mom won't let me date cause I'm a Jehovah's Witness and we only date with supervision and only if we want to get married. Can you imagine what the expression on their face would have been?

I wanted to join choir. But couldn't partake in any holiday concerts which were most of the time......

Couldn't join sports either.....I loved to play chess....couldn't do that either.....I'm really surprised that I survived my high school years at all......self esteem was at my lowest then.....but I was supposed to be HAPPY because I was Jehovah's devoted servant

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Strawberry-I know what you mean. I was asked by cute guys to dances and on dates, but always had to say no. I walked around with a perpetual frown on my face, that way people would be afraid to approach me and ask me to go to social occasions. Snuck out and went to a dance once, felt enormous guilt and left very early, sure that I would be struck by Jah's lightening in restitution. When asked if I would try out for track and swim team, I had to tell the coaches 'no'. Supplying a reason for the no was mortifying.

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

I was homeschooled, which is a sure-fire way to grow a socially malnurished, awkward-beyond-belief loner (which is the point, I guess). It seems to be a popular choice by JW parents where I live. Whether that's better or worse than actually being in school and still seperate (lonely in a crowd syndrome) is difficult to say.

• d
    d

I wasl very miserable in my high school years. by my senior year I knew in my heart I was an atheist.

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

The Watchtower cult stole my youth. D*mn them to hell.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Hi missed out so much in High School. Dresses to the knees and for some odd reason the local rule was that young sisters shouldn't wear slacks with zippers in the front. So I coun't even wear jeans. No dances, no football games.......In grade I had the chance to enter a public speaking competion--but of course I had to back off because it was being held in a church basement.

But I was a good little dubby. On my first day of high school I wore a a watchtower and awake pin. (anybody remember those?). My mom explained that I should show who I was right away.

• blondie
    blondie

I moved a lot, 15 schools by the time I graduated. The lack of family funds counted me out of the things that jws weren't supposed to do. But having a non-jw father allowed me to do things to heed dad's headship.

Being a jw was not something I "flaunted" but those who knew did not care. I managed to keep my beliefs to myself unless someone asked a sincere question and I used their bible to explain it. No publication pushing. I respected other people and their beliefs realizing that a self-righteous person was a pain in the behind.

Somehow I managed to be well-liked without compromising.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit