Rick Simons' Opposition to WTS Motion in Conti case is brilliant--Check it out @ Alameda Sup Ct Website

by DNCall 98 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Band on the Run - "If Conti loses the appeal..."

She'll win it. I know you're a lawyer, but have a little faith, yeah?

Band on the Run - "...she has already won the war."

And the thing is, she'd never in a million years take credit for the victory; she'd attribute it as a victory for justice and the XJW community, not herself.

Even money says she'll donate a shit-ton of her court winnings (whatever they turn out to be) to a really effective charity with a solid history of genuine success at helping the victims of sexual abuse, too.

If I wasn't already married, I'd be totally falling for this woman.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Thank you all for ongoing updates and evaluations on this case.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Vidiot, I don't think she'd attribute it as a victory for the XJW community (like how?). I'm more inclined to her attributing it as a victory for justice (as you say) and victims of abuse at the hands of monolithic organizations' negligence.

• mind blown
    mind blown

... told you guys this a long time ago.....though I'm not an atty......

The Appeals Process:

http://www.uscourts.gov/FederalCourts/UnderstandingtheFederalCourts/HowCourtsWork/TheAppealsProcess.aspx

A litigant who files an appeal, known as an "appellant," must show that the trial court or administrative agency made a legal error that affected the decision in the case. The court of appeals makes its decision based on the record of the case established by the trial court or agency.It does not receive additional evidence or "hear witnesse". The court of appeals also may review the factual findings of the trial court or agency, but typically may only overturn a decision on factual grounds if the findings were "clearly erroneous."

The court of appeals decision usually will be the last word in a case,unless it sends the case back to the trial court for additional proceedings, or the parties ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the case.

Appeals are decided by panels of three judges working together. The appellant presents legal arguments to the panel, in writing, in a document called a "brief." In the brief, the appellant tries to persuade the judges that the trial court made an error, and that its decision should be reversed. On the other hand, the party defending against the appeal, known as the "appellee," tries in its brief to show why the trial court decision was correct, or why any error made by the trial court was not significant enough to affect the outcome of the case.

Although some cases are decided on the basis of written briefs alone, " many" cases are selected for an "oral argument" before the court . Oral argument in the court of appeals is a structured discussion between the appellate lawyers and the panel of judges focusing on the legal principles in dispute. Each side is given a short time — usually about 15 minutes — to present arguments to the court.

The court of appeals decision usually will be the final word in the case, unless it sends the case back to the trial court for additional proceedings, or the parties ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the case. In some cases the decision may be reviewed en banc, that is, by a larger group of judges (usually all) of the court of appeals for the circuit.

A litigant who loses in a federal court of appeals, or in the highest court of a state, may file a petition for a "writ of certiorari," which is a document asking the Supreme Court to review the case. The Supreme Court, however, does not have to grant review. The Court typically will agree to hear a case only when it involves an unusually important legal principle, or when two or more federal appellate courts have interpreted a law differently. There are also a small number of special circumstances in which the Supreme Court is required by law to hear an appeal. When the Supreme Court hears a case, the parties are required to file written briefs and the Court may hear oral argument.

144001 And after all that grief you gave Cedars for inaccurate information .........

"Oral arguments are allowed by a subtantial majority of California courts (some demand written arguments only - it's up to the judge to set the policy for his/her courtroom), and no special permission is needed for this. It's oral evidence that is generally not allowed unless the court gives special permission, as occurred here. In other words, it's ok for lawyers to argue the motion, but the court wants any substantive evidence that is presented by the lawyers to be in written form, not oral testimony.

The WTBTS claims that the witness will be a representative of the WTBTS q ualified to speak about the past and present history of Patterson, its appraised value, and the WTBTS' future plans for Patterson.

As for Simons, there would be no reason for him to introduce oral testimony. His argument is a legal one that does not require the introduction of any evidence whatsoever. He is simply arguing that the law does not allow the substitution that the WTBTS is requesting, or the reduction in the bond amount. Based on some very limited research I did on Simons claims, it appears that his argument is a good one.

Nevertheless, there's no need for anyone to be concerned about this issue. Even if the court grants the WTBTS' motion, Conti's judgment will be more than adequately collateralized. No matter how the court rules, Conti will not collect anything until she either settles with the WTBTS or the appeal and this case is resolved in one way or another, so this is not a huge issue for Conti, as it will neither help nor hinder her in collecting her judgment.

Edited to add: One more point, to clarify the situation, Simons will indeed be presenting oral argument in court tomorrow. But he will not be seeking to introduce any oral testimony by witnesses, as the argument he will be making does not require the introduction of any evidence at all."

Mindblown:

The case, and the appeal, are being heard by the courts of the State of Califonria, not the federal courts. Accordingly, the information you've posted is inapplicable to Conti's case, as it pertains to the federal courts only.

• mind blown
    mind blown

h ttp://www.lacba.org/Files/Main%20Folder/Areas%20of%20Practice/AppellateCourts/Files/070522_Appellate%20Courts%20Committeeprimer.pdf

Basic Civil Appellate Practice in the Court

of Appeal for the Second District

Prepared by the Appellate Courts Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association

This pamphlet is not an official reference source, and you may not cite it as authority. You must

evaluate your own case and conduct your own research. Although this pamphlet provides some

legal authorities for your convenience, you are responsible for making sure that they apply to

your case and that they have not been superseded.

Neither the Court of Appeal nor the Los Angeles County Bar Association is allowed to provide you

with legal advice .

This Guide was prepared by members of the Appellate Courts Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar

Association.

It may be freely copied and distributed.

I. INTRODUCTION

II. AT THE OUTSET: SHOULD YOU CONSIDER SETTLEMENT?

III. GENERAL CONSIDERATIONS

A. The Second District of the Court of Appeal

B. The Limited Function of Appellate Review

C. Threshold Questions

IV. MECHANICS OF THE APPELLATE PROCESS

A. The Notice of Appeal

B. The Record on Appeal

C. The Civil Case Information Statement and the Certificate of Interested Entities or Persons

D. Briefing

1. The basic timetable

2. Extensions of time

3. Technical requirements

4. Common pitfalls

5. What if the Clerk rejects a document?

V. ORAL ARGUMENT AND DECISION

A. Scheduling

B. Preparing for Argument

C. Participating in Argument

D. Decision

VI. PETITIONS FOR REHEARING

A. Should You Seek Rehearing?

B. Deadlines

C. Considerations in Preparing the Petition and Answer

D. Ruling

http://www.calblogofappeal.com/2008/03/21/effective-oral-argument-preparation/

It’s been a while since I’ve posted any advice on oral argument, so I went Googling last night and turned up this gem from an old Howard Bashman weekly column at Law.com. It’s not so much about the argument per se as it is the preparation for oral argument, for good reason:

Appellate judges commonly report that oral argument changes their mind about the outcome of an appeal in only a small fraction of cases. However, I’ve always viewed that information as an invitation to become even more prepared to deliver an effective appellate oral argument.

Appellate judges may have a draft opinion prepared, and may rarely change their minds due to oral argument, but — according to at least one justice I’ve spoken to — sometimes they are actually looking for the appellate advocate to give them a reason to change their mind.

5 Comments

Mindblown,

What is the point of your post?

• mind blown
    mind blown

just clearing up a few things.......

What things are you clearing up? Nothing you've posted has been debated/disputed in this thread.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

If I may explain, only CA law applies. Civil procedure is complicated. Besides the statutes and regulations, local court rules apply. When I was in school, any printed legal case that was relevant within the jurisdiction could be cited. With computerized legal research widely available, only certain cases can be cited. Knowing all the local rules is not easy. Well, if you are local, it might not be difficult.

All these statutes have endless case law interpreting them. Civil procedure used to annoy me. The rules seemed so unimportant compared to the substantive issues. These cases are generally very boring to read. It is far more complex than a quick read. I thought it was so easy i n college. The text was clear. I could not understand the arrogance of lawyers. Despite being warned to do so, I freely gave legal advice. I gave it without any notes or any information that would allow me to correct myself. Why bother? The statute said so and so. Within a few weeks of law school, I realized why there is law school. I messed up actual humans.

My personal lawyers can be arrogant. The text itself is only the beginning of research. Life would be easier without civil procedure but now I am more convinced than ever that civil procedure is a very important of justice and fairness. Sometimes I do pause and wonder if it could be simplified for people who can't afford lawyers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit