Rick Simons' Opposition to WTS Motion in Conti case is brilliant--Check it out @ Alameda Sup Ct Website

by DNCall 98 Replies latest jw friends

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

marked

• flipper
    flipper

BTTT, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• ziddina
    ziddina

Good grief...

Is it the "adversarial" nature of our justice system that causes lawyers and law students [well, one of those mentioned, at least...] to berate with the term "Liar" instead of saying, "ah, perhaps you overlooked or did not take into consideration this statute listed on the books here..." ???

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Gayle - "Why does the WTS legal come up with these very empty requests to the court?"

I suspect the WTS did not assign their "A" team (assuming they actually have one) to the case.

<<<<Is it the "adversarial" nature of our justice system that causes lawyers and law students [well, one of those mentioned, at least...] to berate with the term "Liar" instead of saying, "ah, perhaps you overlooked or did not take into consideration this statute listed on the books here..." ??>>>>

Ziddina,

Perhaps you should scan the other Conti threads, and when you do, you will see that someone here personally attacked me as being unqualified to express an opinion on this subject. Despite her criticism, I chose to express an opinion anyway, and it turned out that my opinion of the outcome of this motion was accurate. Then, she lied by saying that she had already expressed the same opinion, when she hadn't. That's pretty lame, in my opinion, and I disagree that this is something that should be swept under the rug.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aw, crud...

144001, I just don't follow this website like I used to.

Sorry to hear about the conflict.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    AnnOMaly - "Vidiot, I don't think she'd attribute it as a victory for the XJW community (like how?). I'm more inclined to her attributing it as a victory for... victims of abuse at the hands of monolithic organizations' negligence."

That's kinda the point I was trying to make, actually.

The institutionalized sexual victimization of JW minors within the WTS is - by far - the biggest reason the XJW community even exists nowadays; just about everyone here on JWN has been impacted by it, one way or another.

I'll bet even Candace and her Mom view it as a shared experience among XJWs.

• Gayle
    Gayle

http://www.plaintiffmagazine.com/Sept12/Ellison_Profile_Rick-Simons.pdf

good article about him:

When the dust cleared, Simons had

co-counseled for 125 victims, and the

body of work by the Northern California

clergy abuse legal team resulted in more

than $150 million in settlements and

awards. Simons said they were the most

meaningful cases he’s worked on and led

him to make child sex abuse cases his primary

specialty.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I like this part:

When in trial, Simons articulates his case to the best of his ability, but he refuses to patronize jurors.

“The biggest thing I’ve learned is not to stuff things down the jury’s throat, but rather empower them to, as the case goes along, see for themselves what the wrong is and why it needs to be corrected and addressed,” he said. “I think that results in better verdicts. They like information, and they like interpretation, but they don’t like being force-fed. I try to respect the power and integrity of the jury – let them do the work.”

This is pretty dang good advice on how to treat people generally, say, loved ones who are still in the Witnesses. Let them connect the dots on their own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit