Rick Simons' Opposition to WTS Motion in Conti case is brilliant--Check it out @ Alameda Sup Ct Website

by DNCall 98 Replies latest jw friends

• Scott77
    Scott77

<<<<" (d) The officer may prescribe terms and conditions to implement this section.">>>>

Who is that 'officer' in question? The Watchtower's or the Court's?

Scott77

Scott,

The "officer" is the judge.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I think I read that the cost of the bond is $86,000 (one time or annual -- can anyone answer that?)

Service-3 states that the cost of the bond is "nearly $100,000 a month"

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

So they need a true miracle. The legal merits seem to have no bearing on their strategy. They don't see the forest for the trees. I could see convincing an unsophisticated client but I expect the WT is very used to managing lawyers. They don't seem to care about public opinion.

If Conti loses the appeal, she has already won the war.

I can imagine what they would say about Roman Catholic lawyers who were ruthless protecting the church. The New York Times had a long article once about how the Catholic lawyers went beyond zealous representation to cruelty.

I was born-in so the religion shaped me greatly. No matter how many posts I read, I am always amazed at what a cult (minus negative connotation). As a child, I accepted it as truth. As a grown adult with worldly experience, I am shocked that they have any adherents. Their overreach is so obvious. Of course, it is only so obvious to me because of decades of living a normal life.

Paralipomenon:

The bond is not $100k/month. I didn't bother to look at the documents again but my recollection is that the $86K is an annual bond premium.

I think you may have been confused because the $100k/month was mentioned by Conti's counsel as post judgment interest which is accruing on her judgment (post judgment interest accrues at the rate of 10%/annum). Conti contended that the amount that she will eventually be entitled to collect is growing, because of the accrual of interest on the judgment.

• sir82
    sir82
    So they need a true miracle.

If they get one, will it make it into the "new scrolls" they are expecting based on their interpretation of Revelation?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

@144001 - I reread it and stand corrected, thx.

The motion was argued today. The court did not issue a ruling; the court instead "took it under submission," which means that the court will issue its ruling and send it to the parties, probably in the next few days.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

MARKED

• A.M. Number 1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit