Voltaire

by Chariklo 51 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

Tea with just a spot of Irish Whisky.

I do not know how he ever got any philosophy done.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Sometimes I think it may be a culture clash, Chariklo. The first time I was accused of talking bs on this board I was a bit shocked. It is quite a strong thing to say in the UK. Especially when one is only quoting Tacitus! Oh my goodness, dearie me, well golly gosh!

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

THis is all very strange

Is it a philosophical discussion over a cup of tea?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well it seems to have turned out that way and I'm not much of a tea drinker.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I adore Madame and her adventures. The "secretary" is my favorite character. MMmmn. When will McCall Smith write the next book in the series?

I read his Cordoroy Mansions books recently but I prefer the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Ah, Band, a fellow fan! Do you know his site.

www.alexandermccallsmith.co.uk

He does a good newsletter, too, which keeps you up to date with everything.

I also very much like Bertie, in the Scotland Street series, and Freddy the dog in Corduroy Mansions. The last book in the Lady Detective series, so far, is Yhe Limpopo Academy of Private Detection, but I haven't got it yet.

Xanthippe, I think culture clash does account for much of it, yes. What seems to most British people like extreme aggression or downright rude is taken for granted as normal repartee by some. Not all, though. Whereas a dry British response isn't registered or is misinterpreted.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

back to Voltaire:

Although he has been misquoted, Voltaire famously said "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." How good it would be if this maxim could be held on this board.Is it a vain hope? Could it be possible that people here might respect the beliefs and ideas of others?

You jumped trains there. Voltaire said he would defend to the death your right to speak -- in other words he supported free speech. You changed the meaning a bit when you asked that people respect the beliefs and ideas of others. It's not the same thing at all. I completely support free speech, but there are many beliefs and ideas for which I have no respect at all. I don't deny your right to believe and say what you want, that's the Voltaire part, but respect for some of the dangerous crap some people believe? Or for magical thinking? No, seriously, no respect.

I think what some people want is polite agreement along the lines of, "well isn't that interesting? I don't agree but I respect your belief." That's not real discussion, it doesn't help a person find answers, it's like letting people all twiddle their thumbs at each other.

If you want respect for your beliefs, you have to trot out some proof that I would respect. In other words, I agree with the right to free speech 100%. But I think free speech isn't just about your right to speak; it's also about the right of others to challenge, to ask questions, to disagree.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" If you want respect for your beliefs, you have to trot out some proof that I would respect. In other words, I agree with the right to free speech 100%. But I think free speech isn't just about your right to speak; it's also about the right of others to challenge, to ask questions, to disagree."

• Soledad
    Soledad

LOL.

It's the nature of discussion boards to sort of decend into a stew of opinions, counter-opinions, name-calling, bashing, mud slinging and overall cyber sewage.

I guess the comfort of anonymity makes it all possible.

BTW I drink rooibos religiously.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I hope we can keep this place from going too far down hill, it is up to all of us to keep the standard up where it should be, and certainly not to get on our high horse about things that are not important, like our own personal opinion, it is just that, and others may not like or agree with it, that is their right.

We should not get too upset if our thoughts are not palatable to others, we should not be so prescious.

Or as Voltaire really said "What a fuss over an omelette "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit