January 2013 Watchtower. Interesting comment re 6000 years

by alanv 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

Next Sunday: 11-4-2012

Next week, PEACE FOR A THOUSAND YEARS—AND BEYOND!

Paragraph 2, 6,000 years of human history

• undercover
    undercover

Abel speaks to you today. Can you hear him? You might say that such a thing is impossible. After all, this second son of Adam died a long time ago. His remains are long lost, mingled with the dust of nearly 60 centuries.

Is that a direct quote from the WT or the Weekly Reader (children's periodical for you whipper-snappers)?

• elderelite
    elderelite

Rotfl!!!!! 00dad finally made sense of this thread for me :-)

• smiddy
    smiddy

I don`t think the society has retracted anything they have ever said ,they just stop saying IT ,and then say something new .

smiddy

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Quite a few years ago there was a question not about Neanderthals but about other human-like fossils, and the comment was that if these were human, then they belonged to a branch of the human family that since then has disappeared. I guess the Neandethals would be regarded much the same way, they were human, people, but of a branch or race that has disappeared. Search a bit in the WTLibrary and you will find the quote.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As you write it O.H the WT would not be in error in saying that, but how do they square the age of humans with their story of Adam and The Fall being only 6,000 or so years ago ?

If humans existed before Adam, what of the need for a "Ransom Sacrifice", what of sin ? etc etc their whole doctrinal scheme falls as soon as they stick to bible chronology and literalism.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

The rapidity of it all after the Flood really is the problem, Phizzy. Life's distribution after the Flood. Mankind's growth after the Flood, so that already 200 years later nations and cities are mentioned.

If saying the Flood was devastatingly huge, enormous, never seen anything like it, massive results all over the world - but not covering all of the Earth, the problem would be solved.

Millions of years prior to Adam doesn't matter, as long as it all narrowed down to a handfull of people and animals 4,200 years ago.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Abel speaks to you today. (So does Rutherford, Russell and Knorr but only the GB can hear them directing things from Alcyone. I make joke! It's insane propaganda) Can you hear him? (Er..........no?) You might say that such a thing is impossible. (Yep..just did!) After all, this second son of Adam died a long time ago. (No sh1t Sherlock...wow..thank you WBT$) His remains are long lost, (Check eBay) mingled with the dust of nearly 60 centuries. (You'd need a big vacuum cleaner for all that mess!)

• Terry
    Terry

The Watchtower is not just recycling their false teachings.

The Society is recycling their already recycled false teachings!

False Prophecy: Russell's second volume of Studies in the Scriptures, titled The Time is at Hand, announces "...that six thousand years from the creation of Adam were complete with A.D. 1872" (p. 54)

False Prophecy: The Watchtower predicts, "According to this trustworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975...." The seventh millennium is to "...begin in the fall of 1975 C.E." And the "reign of Jesus Christ ... to run parallel with the seventh millennium..." (Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God, pp. 29-30).

The intellectual dishonesty of refusing to learn from their mistakes is a damning one for members who might excuse the "human error" aspect.

"Fool me once; shame on you....fool me twice; shame on me!"

Now let's watch and see how many utter fools go for the third round of lying liars who lie.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I remember something about creative days not necessarily being of uniform, 7000-year length. Can't remember if that was in a talk or in the Washtowel, but it stuck in my mind as an explanation of the age of the earth itself. That first creative day could've been millions of years long.

Or was I a complete heretic?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit