January 2013 Watchtower. Interesting comment re 6000 years

by alanv 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• alanv
    alanv

Just had a quick read through the new 16 page edition of the Watchtower, and noticed an article about Able who was Adam's son. The article said in part. Abel speaks to you today. Can you hear him? You might say that such a thing is impossible. After all, this second son of Adam died a long time ago. His remains are long lost, mingled with the dust of nearly 60 centuries. So the society still think we have not got to 6000 years. Many of us were around in the 1970s when 6000 years was apparently just a few years away. Now 40 years later, they say we still have not got there. It would be intersting to see a current chart from the society and compare it with what was published in the 'Life Everlasting' book in the late 60s. Where was the mistake made in that old book, if we still have not got to 6000 years now in 2012?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

That's interesting but I'm sure that 1975 was supposed to mark 6000 years of human existence as counted from the time of Adam's creation. I see no conflict with this current quote - when was the fictional Abel supposed to have been born anyway?

• processor
    processor

WTS claims that Adam would have been created 4026 BCE (so it would be 6037 years now), and:

*** it-1 p. 15 Abel ***

Since Seth was evidently born shortly after Abel’s death and when Adam was 130 years of age, it is possible that Abel may have been as much as 100 years old at the time of his martyrdom.

So "it is possible" that Abel was born around 3996 BCE or 6007 years ago. But actually the Bible does not mention his age at all. He may as well have been 30 years old instead of 100. If he ever lived, of course, which I don't believe.
  • besty
    besty

still it indicates they are sticking to modern humans being around for only 6000 years, in the face of all the evidence pointing to around 200,000 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatomically_modern_humans

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Yes Paul, I was thinking the same thing. That's the real value in quotes like these

• processor
    processor

modern humans being around for only 6000 years

Humans at all. Whether "modern" or not.

• alanv
    alanv

Thanks for comments guys. I just thought it was interesting that they still think humans have been around for 6000 years. Add the 1000 year reign to that and that makes it 7000 years. So are they still saying a creative day is 7000 years long? I thought they scrapped that idea when recently the magazines have called it aeons of time, rather than a specific period of time.

• designs
    designs

How does the Wt. Society explain that we carry 4% Neanderthal genes.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Abel speaks to you today. Can you hear him?

That would be a definite 'NO'. I am not schizophrenic.

After all, this second son of Adam died a long time ago. His remains are long lost, mingled with the dust of nearly 60 centuries. So the society still think we have not got to 6000 years. Many of us were around in the 1970s when 6000 years was apparently just a few years away. Now 40 years later, they say we still have not got there.

Yeah, I guess they're stuck in some kinda cryogenic state that allows their physical bodies to move but their brains to be frozen. Wacktower's mathematics skills suck big time. I figured that out as a teenager back in the '70s.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Erroneous date setting gave birth to the WTBS and it will be the cause of their demise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit