January 2013 Watchtower. Interesting comment re 6000 years

by alanv 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Abel speaks to you today. Can you hear him?"

If I could hear him, I'm pretty sure he'd be saying,

"Holy schnikey's, look at all these sexy women that aren't my sisters! Hubba hubba. And these garments that are covering your bodies are so functional and fashionable! And you don't have to dig a hole every time you need to poop. That's awesome! And this food is fantastic, much better than the lame nuts, seeds, and berries we struggled to grow in the old days! Chocolate, coffee, french fries... and meat is awesomely delicious! All those years I was a shepherd, drinking sheep milk and making course, itchy clothes out of their wool, when I should have just eatten the animals. Duh. Do I feel dumb now. Sacrificing sheep to some psycho god, trying to get his favor and protection, when he provided neither. Screw sacrifices! I should have just invited Cain over to share a delicious rack of lamb and gotten favor, friendship, and protection from him!"

Yeah, I'm quite sure that if Abel had been real and were speaking to us today, he wouldn't be saying what Watchtower claims he would be saying!

Hey Watchtower, can you hear him now? He just told you to go fornicate yourselves.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    designs - "How does the WT Society explain that we carry 4% Neanderthal genes?"

They don't.

And they'd make sure any "Questions From Readers" wouldn't ask, either.

Back in the mid-90s, there was an Awake! article called "'Ape Men' - What Were They?"; but all the piece really did was subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) cast aspersions on the field of anthropology, and in fact, didn't even attempt to actually answer the question in the article's title. That in particular irked me and was one of my "wait a minute" moments.

Ignoring uncomfortable questions about science and history is prevelent throughout the fundamentalist world.

The WTS is no different.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Billy: What you said was funny as hell. LMAO!! The Borg has balls to be assuming what a dead man would say.

Kojack

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Abel speaks to you today. Can you hear him? You might say that such a thing is impossible. After all, this second son of Adam died a long time ago. His remains are long lost, mingled with the dust of nearly 60 centuries."

I think Abel would also be saying, "Oh snap, my remains are now part of the cells in your right ass cheek!"

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I thought they scrapped that idea when recently the magazines have called it aeons of time, rather than a specific period of time.

They now use the term 'epochs' or 'thousands of years in length' when describing a creative day. However, I have never seen them actually retract the 7,000 year creative day.

George

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    St George of England - "They now use the term 'epochs' or 'thousands of years in length' when describing a creative day. However, I have never seen them actually retract the 7,000 year creative day."

You're right, they never fully have.

They don't wanna alienate the old-schoolers so they'll never fully drop it, but they use 'epochs' or 'thousands of years in length' because they don't wanna alienate younger JWs (who know better) either.

Both parties interpret it the way they favor, and the WTS gets to have its cake and eat it, too.

• maisha
    maisha

the 6 thousandth year is a critical point of time for JW's, 1975 was stated as the end of 6000 years of human existance, the unkown factor was when was eve created, the difference was the difference in time that would bring about the end of this system and usher in the 7000 year, do you think we have reached the 6000th year?, or are we into the 7000 year?

• maisha
    maisha

maybe i should be on the GB, i could see elijahtemple and cedars getting on really well and of course KS, wow what a team!...

would have new light every week!

• processor
    processor

1975 was stated as the end of 6000 years of human existance

The 1975 mistake was justified with "The 6000 years must be counted from Abel on, and we don't know when he was born". Not with "We found that the 7th day of creation does not last 7000 years".

• 00DAD
    00DAD

There are three kinds of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit