Will it ever be possible for this earth and it`s inhabitants to be free of any kind of religion ? Would you welcome it ?

by smiddy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• irondork
    irondork

There will always be worship because there will always be God; despite anyones best efforts to get rid of him.

Religion (as we know it), on the other hand, is going down. I look forward to it.

• cofty
    cofty

I'm with PZ Myers on this question.

I look forward to the day when religion becomes like knittng. Some people find knitting to be a fun thing to do on a weekend. They swap patterns and read magazines about it but nobody ever killed anybody over the best way to make an Aran Sweater.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Some humans do seem to need to worship as others here have mentioned. They worship soccer stars, TV and film personalities, deities. I don't understand the need to worship I must admit, and I never have.

When I believed in god I always thought I was having a relationship with a real person and the whole worship thing was incomprehensible to me.

I've since seen religion in an anthropological context. This is how humanity has developed. We couldn't understand why mountains erupted, why the earth shook, why it thundered, why people died, so we invented gods.

The anthropological argument suggests that as we find rational explanations for everything the need for religion will diminish.

However as others have stated some people need to worship so I am not not sure if this is true.

Ideally what we need is tolerance of all differing views so it doesn't matter if people want to believe something that is different to what I think, I will not insult them - or try to kill them.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I think that religion will be awesome once it's faithless. I miss the sociality, organisation and positive aspects of group belief. Remove god, faith, guilt, eternal rewards and punishments, prophecy and all forms of dogma and you could have a great positive force.

Secular humanists :)

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Funny you ask this question. . .

I was just reading this week's watchtower study entitled "How This World Will Come to an End" and it completely answers your question:

The United Nations will turn on religion and destroy it forever ( well, not JWs of course).

So, that's just about what's going to happen very soon!

It's great to know all the answers!

• Fernando
    Fernando

The first reformation of Western Society, nearly 500 years ago in 1517, delivered "freedom of religion".

I believe the second reformation of Western Society will deliver much needed "freedom from religion".

I can't wait.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

10 words, 2 assertions, zero proof. C'mon CA you've got to do better than that

Nealy everyone on this site used to worship god. Atheism is a somewhat new phenomenon; at least to the extent that we see it today.. Historically, humans worship. And like was stated before, humans will always worship something. That, along with the ability to love, is a main difference we have with animals. Many like to deny worship and say they don't worship anything.

Many reject the term worship because it reminds them of god. However the word we derived "worship" from was an old English word "worth-ship". It is giving special worth to something or someone.

Of course usually the word is religious in its usage, but the need to give special "worth" to something or someone is part of our nature. It can be nature, science, or an object. And as long as we have this NEED, there will always be those that ascribe what they see or feel to god or some sort of deity, even if this god is merely "energy" or something else.

• Soledad
    Soledad

Eliminate religion, and something else will take it's place.

Reality tv perhaps.

In serious, people who let religion become their identity is the root of all problems related to that.

If it becomes their identity, they are then prone to defend it to whatever extremes to preserve a perceived attack on who they are.

Humanity then benefits from using religion as a force for good, not evil. Whatever the faith, whatever the deity chosen.

Hopefully THAT could possibly happen much sooner than the demise of religion. But who knows.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

In response to the OP, isn't it practically the case in Norway or somewhere in Europe already right now? And they recently did a survey in East Germany and couldn't find a single religious person under the age of 30 or something? (thinking off the top of my head, may be fuzzy on the numbers) So, given enough time, why not? However, if you're talking about the entire world, you're talking about a good few more centuries or eons, I should think, especially given the religious discord in areas such as the Middle East.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit