The Greatest Show On Earth - A Book Summary In Many Parts

by cofty 81 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Part 3

Chapter 2 – Dogs, Cows and Cabbages

Why did the fact of evolution take so long to discover? Darwin’s theory is so elegant you would think it would have been fathomed out sooner. Perhaps it was the difficulty of grasping the immense periods of time that evolution required or the powerful illusion of design that we see in complex organs like the eye. Dawkins refers back to biologist Ernst Mayr for an interesting and important answer to this dilemma.

For Mayr, the culprit was the "dead hand of Plato".

To Plato everything we experience is nothing more than shadows on the cave wall - imperfect copies an unseen, ideal reality. If you did maths at school or college you may have been amazed (and stumped) by the power of Greek geometers to work out some amazing truths using mental gymnastics. In Plato's world of "essentialism" all the shapes you could ever draw were mere representations of “essential” shapes; the essential triangle really did have angles adding up to precisely 180 degrees, parallel lines of the “essential” rhombus really did extend for infinity without merging.

According to Mayr biology has suffered from its own version of essentialism in which tapirs and rabbits are treated as though they were triangles or dodecahedrons. It is as if there was a perfect essential Platonic rabbit hanging somewhere in conceptual space along with all the perfect forms of geometry. Variation among real rabbits is seen as a departure from the correct form of the essential rabbit to which all bunnies are tethered by invisible elastic.

I find this a very helpful insight. It exposes a way of thinking that is as deeply ingrained as it is flawed and opposed to the evolutionary view of life. Descendants are in fact free to vary endlessly from ancestor forms and every variation in the real world is a potential ancestor to future variants. There is no permanent “rabbitness” no essence of rabbit or tapir or hippo hanging in the sky.

Dawkins proposes a powerful thought experiment to illustrate his point. Imagine going on a walk through evolutionary time to track the path from rabbit to leopard - Let's be clear, rabbits did not descend from leopards or vice-versa. Just like any other two species they descended from a common ancestor.

Like an inspecting general you walk along a line of rabbits, daughter to mother to grandmother back and back through thousands of generations. Change would be so gradual as to be imperceptible like the movement of the hour hand of a watch but eventually we would reach ancestors that are less rabbit like and perhaps more shrew like. Then at some point we reach a hairpin and begin to move forward in time along a separate branch of the tree of life choosing left and right forks in the road until we arrive at a modern leopard.

We could have chosen other directions at every junction and taken a path to any other modern species. At no point in our journey would we notice any changes from one generation to the next. We could choose any two species and do the same thing. This is no mere thought experiment it is exactly what evolution tells us has happened. It is also as far removed from essentialism as it would is possible to conceive.

Hopefully it is also now clear why questions like "if we evolved from chimps why are there still chimps" is so frustrating.

Dawkins observes that psychologists studying the development of language tell us that children are natural essentialists. Maybe they have to be as their developing minds divide their world into discreet categories.

Before summarising the remainder of chapter 2 I would like to illustrate the natural tendency of children towards an essentialist view of the world.

I witnessed an extreme illustration of essentialism when we took our daughter on a visit to Edinburgh zoo when she a little more than a year old. She had evidently fathomed out two models that helped her make sense of the whole animal kingdom "duck" and "cow".

As we wheeled her around the zoo she pointed excitedly at every creature and announced them to be either a duck or a cow. Flamingos, eagles emus etc were all "ducks" every quadruped was proudly declared to be a "cow". Nothing apparently failed to fit into her wonderfully simple world and she looked perpetually pleased with herself for having fathomed out the entire world of zoology at such a tender age.

After lunch we made it to the enclosures near the top of Corstorphine hill. The Penguins came out for their afternoon walk and as they waddled by she mentally ticked of each individual as "duck", "duck", "duck"..... As they went back to their pond, not without stealing a few sandwiches from unsuspecting visitors bags, we turned around to see the giraffes emerging from their house. She stared open mouthed as she looked up and up and up at these four-legged giants that just would not fit into her simple "two creature" model of the world. The word "cow" seemed to stick in her throat; it was a moment of epiphany. A light went on in her head and all our travelling and patience suddenly bore fruit. Her world had changed.

Creationists have just a slightly bigger "duck - cow" view of the world.

In Darwin’s day the word “essentialism” had not been invented but the phrase “the immutability of species” was the received wisdom of the day. It was domestication that proved to be his strongest case against immutability and this occupies the remainder of chapter 2.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Yeah, but cofty....Dawkins needs to realize that it's only a theory...

(Yes, sarcasm)

• Thing
    Thing

Cofty,

In the book "Implications of Evolution", the evolutionist - Professor Gerald Kerkut (Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, University of Southamptom) on page 6 states:

There are, however, seven basic assumptions that are often not mentioned during discussions of Evolution. Many evolutionists ignore the first six assumptions and only consider the seventh.

These are as follows.

(1) The first assumption is that non-living things gave rise to living material, i.e. spontaneous generation occurred.

(2) The second assumption is that spontaneous generation occurred only once.

The other assumptions all follow from the second one.

(3) The third assumption is that viruses, bacteria, plants and animals are all interrelated.

(4) The fourth assumption is that the Protozoa gave rise to the Metazoa.

(5) The fifth assumption is that the various invertebrate phyla are interrelated.

(6) The sixth assumption is that the invertebrates gave rise to the vertebrates.

(7) The seventh assumption is that within the vertebrates the fish gave rise to the amphibia, the amphibia to the reptiles, and the reptiles to the birds and mammals. Sometimes this is expressed in other words, i.e. that the modern amphibia and reptiles had a common ancestral stock, and so on.

Now granted that the book is an old one - published in 1960, and granted that you have read Dawkins book - "Greatest Show On Earth", my question is - Does Dawkins address any of these assumption in his book and if so, what is his response to these assumptions? (I am only half way thru chapter 2 at present).

With the knowledge available at the time, Kerkut concluded on page 150:

"What conclusions, then, can one come to concerning the validity of the various implications of the theory of evolution? If we go back to our initial assumptions it will be seen that the evidence is still lacking for most of them."

Kerkut just briefly mentions two theories of evolution:

1. Special theory of evolution

2. General theory of evolution

Again my questions are - Which theory is Dawkins promoting and does he address these two theories?

• cofty
    cofty

Thing thanks for your questions.

It has to be said that a science book that was written more than half a century ago is unlikely to be very helpful. There has been fantastic progress in evolutionary biology in recent decades that the author you refer to could not have known.

Let me just respond to your "seven assumptions" first.

1. This refers to abiogenesis, the development of organic life from non-living materials.

"Spontaneous generation" refers to an ancient belief that was thoroughly debunked by Francesco Redi in the 16th century and more fully by Louis Pasteur in the 19th. We no longer believe that maggots arise fully formed from rancid meat.

There has been some fascinating progress in the field of abiogenesis in recent years. The work of Bill Martin and Mike Russell is enough to silence anybody who claims science will never be able to show how life emerged. I have been doing a lot of reading on this specific topic recently and I would like to write up some of it when I am finished this book summary.

2. Yes it seems likely that life emerged only once. The last common ancestor of all living things is referred to as by the acronym LUCA - Last Universal Common Ancestor. We can deduce a lot about LUCA by examining features that all living things have in common.

The short answer to 3 -7 is yes. Far from being ignored by evolution these questions are the "bread and butter" of research and the subject of hundreds of scientific papers every year.

Kerkut asserts that evidence is lacking for most or all of these asumptions. Nothing could be further from the truth and I will be presenting evidence form Dawkin's book to support many of them.

We will not be discussing abiogenesis in this thread. Even if the answer was never found to this question it would not in any way undermine the fact that every living thing on planet earth descended from a common ancestor over millions of years through a process of evolution. I will be presenting some fascinating evidence for abiogenesis on another thread at some point.

I don't know what you mean by "special and general" theories of evolution. Perhaps you could explain and I will try to answer.

Thanks again for your questions.

• Heaven
  • cofty
    cofty

Part 4

Chapter 2 – Dogs, Cows and Cabbages ... continued.

The variety that results from selective breeding formed an important step in Darwin's case for natural selection. He knew plenty about animal and plant breeding and wrote an entire book on the subject, "The Variation of Animals and Plants under Domestication."

The humble cabbage is a good example of what can be achieved in a relatively short time. The wild cabbage Brassica oleracea has been bred to produce vegetables as diverse as broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, kale, Brussels Sprouts, spring greens, romanescu and a whole range of what we commonly call cabbages. So much for what Darwin's contemporaries called the "immutability of species".

The astonishing variety of breeds of dog that have come about through selective breeding also provides compelling evidence of the power and pace of change that is possible. Through selective breeding the common wolf canis familiralis has given rise to 200 breeds recognised by the Kennel Club.

Anybody can understand the concept of evolution by artificial selection. Natural selection is the same with one minor detail changed.

When dog or vegetable breeders select specimens they are in fact sculpting the gene pool of the breed. The idea of a gene pool is central to the modern version of Darwinian evolution theory known as "Neo-Darwinian Synthesis". Darwin knew nothing of gene pools although his contemporary, Gregor Mendel the father of genetics, was publishing his findings in a German journal which escaped Darwin’s notice.

Genes are all-or-nothing entities. In Darwin's day people vaguely thought that traits inherited form parents were blended. If this were the case variation would have disappeared long ago. Mendel showed that it is more like the shuffling of cards in a pack. Any one of your sex cells contains either a version of a particular gene that you inherited form your father or from your mother - not a blend of the two. That gene came from one of your four grandparents and from one of your eight great-grandparents and so on.

Gene pools may be literal such as a population of rats living on an island or virtual as in the case of pedigree dogs whose breeding opportunities are carefully policed by their owners. An individual is a sampling of the genes within its pool. The entire collection of genes is shuffled randomly among all of the individuals in the pool.

It is this random reshuffling of the genes in the pool that makes variety and therefore evolution possible. There is no intrinsic reason why a particular gene should become more or less frequent in a population, the fact that it does is precisely and exactly what is meant by evolution.

Sometimes new breeds of dog - or cabbage - get their start with a single mutation. Surprisingly few genes may be involved in producing significant changes. For example the very short legs of breeds like the dachshund and basset hound resulted from a single genetic mutation called achondroplasia.

It is these random copying errors that are the raw material for evolution by non-random selection.

As well as selection for physical features breeders have successfully selected for personality and aptitude. Dogs have been bred for shepherding, tracking, pointing and rescue.

If dog breeders can bring about such variety in the gene pools of dogs within just a few decades just think what may be possible in ten or a hundred million years.

Coming next.. "The Primrose Path to Macro-Evolution"

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Thanks for starting this up again. I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the rest of the chapters.

Hortensia/Aida

• Knowsnothing
  • LV101
    LV101

Cofty --- the maggots and the rancid meat is where I get lost because it's not like the rancid meat is a rock but it is from a living animal and the maggots possibly originated from there?

Don't take time to explain --- it will all click, hopefully.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

maggots are the larvae of flies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit