It's time I face the truth about my belief in God.

by Cagefighter 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Londo111
    Londo111

Cagefighter,

Of the subject a bit, but I’ve attended a United Methodist service and enjoyed it. I’ve gone the last few weeks to a Bible study at the Methodist church around the corner. It’s a very loving place and everyone is free is express their views. I feel like a heel for not joining, but I’m being drawn elsewhere.

Last weekend, the pastor and I had a good discussion about theistic evolution, the documentary hypothesis, and many other topics we agree upon. And he likes bringing up Dune during the Bible study classes from time to time. Very cool!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Londo,

Dune!? God I love that book! I have often wondered if deja vu is what happens when our subconcious mind has raced ahead and plotted out every concievable avenue that we may take on a given day. Just like Paul Atreides " looking into the future ". That always blows my mind...

Cagefighter,

Awesome post. I feel very closely to what you expressed. I know there are real truths in the scriptures because if you apply them they work. As mentioned by ONTHEWAYOUT, eastern teachings are awesome too. The Tao Te Ching is awesome. I find myself wondering what books actually belong in the bible, and how much of it has been adulterated. How can we ever know for sure? Especially in view of all the lies we have been told as " truth ". Is the real truth of it all just that we are on a journey to see what really works? We only live so long, and EVERY SINGLE GENERATION THAT BELIEVED THE END WOULD COME IN THEIR LIFETIME IS DEAD! I don't think that is ridicle on my part. I am not saying, " where is this promised precense of his ". I am just stating a fact. I know where you're coming from bro.

DD

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I'd say you are technically a weak agnostic, or possibly an agnostic theist. In terms of religious philosophy, as explained by John Dewey and William James, you are what is called a pragmatist, who holds that something is true insofar as it works. You feel religious belief works because of the positive benefits you outline, regardless of whether the supernatural claims of scripture are true or not.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Sorry I don't have time to respond to all of it. I would like to say that my reason for posting is to express my rational reasons for remaining a Christian even thought I don't believe say 40% of what is in the bible.

As a young JW I was very intrigued by the hindu and eventually buddhist religions. When I re-read the gospels as an adult with out the WT crap in my head it was pretty obvious to me that the "lost years of Jesus" were spent out east.

My decision to remain a member of my church is cultural as well as it connects me to that divine energy/love, through the opportunities to serve, visit, and even the intellectual and honest discussions we have. I won't lie, it also provides me with social opporunities and friendships as well. Last, the tradition that is observed simply reminds me that I am not perfect and I am not the center of the universe. All religion serves this function and it is important to man. Honestly, I think these are the real purposes of the church.

• mP
    mP

Cage:

"3. I believe the Bible contains just as many truths as it does exaggerations, fables, and concoctions. It also our history and culture wrapped up into a neat little package, kind of like my late grandmother"

>

mP:
    This statement is utterly false. The Bible is not OUR history, for the simple fact most of us most likely do not have ancestors from Israel. The Bible is does contain history of Judea and Israel. Theres an entire world outside Israel proper.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I break it down to love.

• mP
    mP

Cage:

2. While the teachings of Christ revolutionized the world, many of its components were not unknown to the world before or since Christ. There is a redeeming and egalitarian quality about what he preached or is attributed to him if he actually existed. Just remember that in the history of mankind, we can conceive that a lot of people thought and acted with those principles way before Christ showed up on the scene. Therefore, you can choose to materialize all your humanity in one person (Christ) or realize that even without that person, the feelings you project are just as significant valuable.

mp:
    Really so Jesus preached equality for women and an end to slavery and racism ?

If you want scriptures they are easy to provide.

• LV101
    LV101

I have a question for the statement above that following the good book's advice works. Do you really believe this? I think it depends how basic, time-proven results it's referring to. I believe LOVE is a wonderful thing and all that but I'm conflicted about turning the other cheek when dealing head on with situations in a totally different way seems to be effective. Say one is dealing with an aggressive bully or evil person and you've tried the 'killing 'em with kindness' card and that's been a joke so now you pull out the behavorial psychology book (science) and read up and deal with the problem stragetically -- and it works. This alone makes me doubtful of it's advice.

• LV101
    LV101

There are wonderful humans in the world but I don't agree it's a love thing out there. Apparently, crime is down big time but look at the danger in the public schools today. People still act like animals and they still steal (if they can get away with it). Business loss from employee theft is unreal so religion has been a dismal failure or is it because most have left the church/faith/God. All humans have the capacity to act in a cultured way but perhaps science, education is the answer.

• prologos
    prologos

wonderful perspective!! - one observation: "The old testament life of rape" and pillage was not in the hebrew scheme of things. The Law forbade israels soldiers on active duty to have ANY sexual relations. remember david's failed attempt to have uzzia sleep at home with his wife while on furlough? So this wise Law supports your point of the scriptures in some cases beeing a good influence. If you ever became witness to mass rapes of an rampaging army, you will really appreciate that law. Rape was a capital offence and is still in at least one majority "christian" country.

blessings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit