What if you could just walk away? No DF'ing or Shunning?

by QuestioningEverything 14 Replies latest jw friends

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

If I could tell my mom and other family JW's that I wasn't going back, didn't believe it and wanted to move on with my life without worrying about being DF'd or shunned, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

But, that is not the case . Wonder how many the WTBS would lose if they changed their policy on this? How many of you would have left sooner if there were 'no strings attached' to the WT?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

In a NY minute!

• blondie
    blondie

I walked away......and avoided official df'ing and shunning. But even if you aren't df'd or da'd, individual jws can and do decide you are a spiritual leper and think they will catch something from you. My in-laws go to a small town Protestant church and some unofficially shun members and children of members they feel are living in sin.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

If I could have left without the shunning I would have gone a long time before I did.

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses - Shunning

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Yep. Last night would be my last meeting, and that is precisely why shunning exists. C.T. Russell may have been kooky, but he did not shun. J.F. Rutherford was a bastard.

• simon17
    simon17

But even if you aren't df'd or da'd, individual jws can and do decide you are a spiritual leper and think they will catch something from you.

Agreed but there's two facets to that. Since shunning exists, people do it as a sign of piousness almost. If shunning didn't exist (or wasn't continually incduced by guilt) many of these people would see no benefit towards their spiritual resume in doing it.

Two: Lots of time the people who would do this type of shunning don't like you really anyway and are looking for an excuse. So, I don't mind losing them. THe people who love you wouldn't do it if WT didn't say so.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Yea i often noted that df'ing or even unoffical df'ing is the only reason 40% are around. If they ever opened the doors the flood of those leaving wOuld be astonishing to them i think. I think they really believe most are diehards and true believers. And 60% is "most", its a majority , but a sizable number arnt

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

I forget who brought it up in an older thread, but they mentioned that if the shunning policy were rescinded, quite a few people who previously considered leaving might hang around because it would be a positive change. I'd love to simply walk away and get on with life but it's not plausible at this time. However if they were to rescind the shunning policy, I might consider hanging around as it would appear they're on the right path. Then they might really be able to say that they have love amongst themselves. As it stands now for many congregations they resemble white washed graves.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Take it steady, do a slow fade with excuses , depression, unwell, anything you think might work. In my experience the elders soon get fed up with looking out for you, once your card disappears from the record box.

Unless your family are real so and so's who turn you in, you can leave O K

• elderelite
    elderelite

Lol my family are/would be real so and so's :P

I wouldnt mind hanging around minus an obligation to prosolitize and shun and comitte suicide via lack of standard medical care

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit